7mm D6315 "The Cornishman"

Simon

Flying Squad
I like those two pictures of D6315, thanks for the links Steve:thumbs:

Interestingly they both show the same headcode 6C40.

I'm looking at the WTT for Plymouth Division sections P1 and P2 and I think this headcode is for a local freight terminating at Yeoford:confused:

Seems a bit odd for a movement from Plymouth - I expect I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick as usual:rolleyes:

Simon

S

SteveO

I checked that last night and you're right! How odd.

I reread your thread on RMW a couple nights ago to see if I could get any snippets of wisdom. What an emotional rollercoaster that was! I don't suppose you have the instructions laying about somewhere? I'm thinking more of use in constructing the bogies and finding out what all the little etches are for?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The 6300 were also often used as pilot locos on the Devon banks, I'm sure I've seen a photo of one piloting a steam engine with the titled headcode on the 6300 and not the steam loco.

S

SteveO

Mick, the 6300 was used quite extensively as a banker during a certain period, much to the disgust of the steam enthusiast/photographer of the time, according to MLI. I'm not sure what would happen to the headboard when banking, but it makes sense to move it onto the loco in front I suppose.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick, the 6300 was used quite extensively as a banker during a certain period, much to the disgust of the steam enthusiast/photographer of the time, according to MLI. I'm not sure what would happen to the headboard when banking, but it makes sense to move it onto the loco in front I suppose.

Steve, agreed and the term [pedant mode] is pilot, bankers push from the rear, pilots assist from the front:thumbs:;) bankers are only used for the steep up hill sections and are detached at the top, pilots are used for the whole run where extra power is needed, usually between two major locations. Double heading is where two smaller powered locos are used for the whole trip, if removed before the end of the run then it becomes a pilot. Bankers are always on hills, pilots are where extra power is needed to keep to time, which may not always be hilly sections especially if it's a busy line with tight timing[/pedant mode] LOL

Castles and Kings would run all the way to Plymouth unaided on occasion but a Hall or Grange would take a pilot between Newton Abbot and Plymouth, a freight would take a banker only for the hills at Daignton, Rattery or Hemerdon etc.
In diesel days westerns would run unaided but Hymeks and Warships might take a pilot but on the Waterloo - Exeter the Warships were double headed for speed and timetable keeping.

A more modern trend is top and tail, the rear loco is not adding power but is used where the train will reverse. It's now cheaper (and faster) for Freightliner to T&T some Felixstowe to Tilbury liner trains because it costs the TOC a fortune to cross the loco over from one end to the other, let alone find a pathing slot on the GEML in London around Stratford. A cross over from one line to another is a path, the run round is another path and the cross back over another, that's three paths the TOC has to pay for so cheaper to make the driver walk back down the train and drive from the other loco, even if it has been on the tail idling for the last 70 miles.

Hope that helps.

66 531+955_Bentley 4R97, FLXN-TLBY
66 531 + 955_4R97_Bentley.JPG

66 955 + 531_4R97_Bentley_01.JPG

66 955 + 531_4R97_Bentley_02.JPG

66 955 + 531_4R97_Bentley_03.JPG

Apols for the hijack:bowdown:

S

SteveO

I've been playing around in Photoshop to get the positions of all the detailing on the cab ends tonight. I've spent a lads weekend away so no progress made since last time. I'm not sure I'm cut out for large scale boozing any more!

The two ends that concern locos of this era have subtle differences, of which mine is an amalgam of both – according to the drawings in MLI. To illustrate that I've made a Photoshop comp of both styles:

Cl22.jpg

My end is largely of one type (high handrails, low headcode discs), but has the horn apertures of another (the lower aperture version). Also, it looks like the lamp holes on the headcode discs are on the wrong side so maybe the drawing is not 100% accurate.

The reason I need this aid is because the Beattie ends are pretty much blank apart from showing the door openings and hinges, and the cab vents. I'll need to mark out the various positions of the equipment plus drill the holes for the handrails. I always thought they sloped inwards towards the top but maybe that's an optical illusion?

Anyway, comped to the casting it looks like this...

Cl22 comp.jpg

...which will serve as a guide, along with the good old eyeball for fine adjustments. Ignore the cab window part as the drawings and the photo are from different perspectives, although the Beattie cab windows still look way off even accounting for this.

Thanks very much for all the help I've received so far, by the way, both on and off this thread. Very much appreciated.

I'm going for a bath and early night to catch up on some of that sleep I missed while sampling the delights of French alcohol into the petit hours.

Bonne nuit!

alcazar

The windows look way out, and the cab-roof even worse, or isn't the roof on that casting?

I once had a run from Paddington to Penzance on a sleeper. It left Paddington behind a class 50, arrived at Penzance behind a PAIR of 50's, and was piloted from Bristol to, AFAIK Plymouth, by a class 31 too...so triple headed. The second 50 came on at Bristol too.

Must have been a heavy train.

S

SteveO

Even accounting for the drawing being in plan and my photo having a large amount of close-up persepective, the roof profile is not correct – neither are the window apertures. There is quite a pronounced curved spine along the centre of the roof which simply is not there on the prototype. The roofline section is raised in the centre but has a fairly smooth curve across it.

I don't know what to do about that at the moment.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The windows look way out, and the cab-roof even worse, or isn't the roof on that casting?

I once had a run from Paddington to Penzance on a sleeper. It left Paddington behind a class 50, arrived at Penzance behind a PAIR of 50's, and was piloted from Bristol to, AFAIK Plymouth, by a class 31 too...so triple headed. The second 50 came on at Bristol too.

Must have been a heavy train.
The second 50 could have been DiT or it could have been a merged train, Bristol was a mini hub for sleepers splitting and joining from the midlands and points north, you had to make sure you were in the right portion or you'd end up arriving at somewhere you didn't quite expect LOL sounds though like the first 50 might have been ailing and they took a second to cover, or the second was a balancing move to get it back West, if they were both powered it would of sounded great up the hills :thumbs:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Even accounting for the drawing being in plan and my photo having a large amount of close-up persepective, the roof profile is not correct – neither are the window apertures. There is quite a pronounced curved spine along the centre of the roof which simply is not there on the prototype. The roofline section is raised in the centre but has a fairly smooth curve across it.

I don't know what to do about that at the moment.
Beware the drawings, drawings of these locos and the 21/29 are notorious for being wrong, the end view will show the roof line at mid body because the cabs IIRC have a slope on them down toward the windscreen. If you take the photo of your model from further away and zoom in then you will loose a lot of that close up distortion and parallax error and it might fit the drawing a little better, I say might in the loosest sense :). Have you got a photo of the roof spine with the curve you mention?

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Jeff,

That's a perspective error. I suspect Steve has used quite a short lens and centred the view on the nose of the loco. The cab windows have therefore 'fallen away' in the image; it's the same effect as buildings appear to lean back when a wide-angle (short) lens is used to take photos on the street. I will be interested to see how the windows look when compared in a different view. It's also worth noting Mick's point above; most of the published drawings are pretty poor. This is mainly because the NB archive was 'lost' (actually in a closed stack at Glasgow University library) for many years. Steve Beattie spent a great deal of time up there to get info for the NB locos he does, so one has to wonder as to whether the drawings or kit are correct!

Mick, It's not a parallax error; you need at least two lenses for one of those!

Steph

S

SteveO

I've realised that I may just be wrong and have been looking at it from the angle of the nose for so long that the angle between the windows (sweeping back) may have distorted my view by 'looking' like there is a ridge but is in fact just the angle between the windows. I'll check it out later...

alcazar

I can see what you mean about the error, Steph.
Some clever folk on here.

Mick: both 50's were running, and yes, they sounded great with the 31 too.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer

alcazar

Probably the first two put on the train died....

I wish I'd seen a double headed warship. I DID once see a double-headed Deltic, both working.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
You're exactly right Steph, my main aim of the pic being the positions of items on the nose end.

Mick, I'll take a pic of the kit roof profile when I get home tonight to show the (over) pronounced ridge, but here are a couple pics of the rooflines I'm looking at for comparison:

A smooth transition
And here too
And here showing the slight step down..
...from this roof profile

Steve, the 22, 21/29 are one of the few classes of loco that have a constant radius roof, I.E one of the easiest to scratch build, most other diesels have a dual radii roof with differing radius at the cant rail (or shoulder which ever you prefer) to the main roof radius.

The crease to which you refer, if between the windscreens? It is correct, each side sweeps back a few inches so there will be a prow between them, about the only main line locos I can think of with flat faced windscreens are class 20 and Metrovick class 28, all others are angled with either top rake, side rake or more often, both.