Captain Kernow's layouts

Simon

Flying Squad
Does anyone have any good sources of 'heavy wooden factory gates', by the way, please?!

Plastikard and a knife:p

It's all looking very good Tim:thumbs: I think the Northlights are an appealing idea but are hard to bring off in the very small depth you have available to you, as others have said.

I'd try and avoid the gates, only because I like your original idea of the lane going on beyond the backscene.

That said couldn't a sort of industrial "level crossing gate protecting the road" subterfuge be deployed?

Simon

PMP

Western Thunderer
I like Steves idea of a plain wall too, if you do the 'factory on the backscene' you'll still have the join between the 3D building loading dock and 'distant' building to address. I've been going through a similar process on a 4mm micro layout at the moment, I'd suggest the smaller the layout and bigger the scale, the harder the trick is to pull off!

I did a quick google and found this
http://www.ovalpartnership.org.uk/gallery/offley-works-entrance-on-clapham-road.JPG
A derivative of this could get you everything you want and restrict view/force the perspective through the building, the side angle views would need to be carefully obstructed though, but something similar could work with your current alignment.

Further variation here
http://www.thepotteries.org/potworks_wk/longton/aynsley/entrance.jpg
http://www.thepotteries.org/potworks_wk/2011/hudson/entrance.jpg

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Ooh... that works!!
Another suggestion for The Captain; copy the idea in the pic Graham has posted above - why not continue the factory building right across the road to the far end, with the gateway "inside" it as above?? If it's solid wooden gates, then only an indication of the dark factory interior would be needed between the top of the gate and the 'upper floor' of the factory above it. Solves the problem of a building the far side of the crossing, too.
Any good?

For wooden factory gates, look no further than this Forum...
index.php

:thumbs: :D:D:D

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I like Steves idea of a plain wall too, if you do the 'factory on the backscene' you'll still have the join between the 3D building loading dock and 'distant' building to address.

Thanks to everyone who's been kind enough to make suggestions and given me links to photos etc.

I've been playing around with 'Paint' (just about the limit of my IT skills!), and have come up with a kind of compromise, where there are solid wooden gates across the road, plus some lengths of brick wall, and a shortened version of the factory:
IMG_9676ab.JPG

I appreciate the comments, Paul, about joining the 2D factory with the original 3D portion, but I had already done a fair bit of work to link the two, which should be visible in one of the earlier photos.

I concede that I might have to replace the far left hand corner part-relief corner building with some more plain brick wall, fortunately making up a spare section of brick wall to 'see what it looks like' shouldn't take too long...

Edit - a quick play-around in 'Paint' has produced the following possibility:
IMG_9676ac.JPG

I've also shown the final planned length of the siding with it's buffer stop in place.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Ooh... that works!!
Another suggestion for The Captain; copy the idea in the pic Graham has posted above - why not continue the factory building right across the road to the far end, with the gateway "inside" it as above??
As things go, the prototype Shakespeare Foundry did spread either side of the factory gate... so here is a bigger view:-

sf1.jpg

and as if that is not enough, the "front" went around the corner as here:-

sf3.jpg

If you have the depth, how about including those stillages left on a public highway?

regards, Graham

Neil

Western Thunderer
I hesitate to make a suggestion, as we're almost in the territory of layout design by committee (a bad, bad thing in my book) but the part relief corner building could work with a weedy sapling growing up at its junction with the gateway pillar. I also like the feint ghostly cuboid outlines on the backscene, reminiscent of a cityscape in smog or fog.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I hesitate to make a suggestion, as we're almost in the territory of layout design by committee (a bad, bad thing in my book) but the part relief corner building could work with a weedy sapling growing up at its junction with the gateway pillar. I also like the feint ghostly cuboid outlines on the backscene, reminiscent of a cityscape in smog or fog.

Yes, I agree, and in fact a compromise might be to retain that corner part-relief building, but set it back further to the left hand side (as in the photo), and place some plain brick wall in between, then a judiciously placed sapling...?

What do you think of the edited photo with no corner brick building, though (and just plain brick wall right along next to the line as far as the fiddle yard)?...

Reactions: PMP

Neil

Western Thunderer
.... What do you think of the edited photo with no corner brick building, though (and just plain brick wall right along next to the line as far as the fiddle yard)?...

I have mixed opinions; it looks a bit bare as it is (though a large works building on the backscene would help) but I like the linearity of the wall as it draws the eyes along the tracks. The terraced row behind the fiddle area on Paul's Albion Yard plays a similar visual trick of making the layout look bigger than its bounds.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
'A taller wall needed' was my first impression Tim, but then I'm sat up here looking at a computer screen and you are sat down there with the layout in front of you :)

Going back a bit, what do you want that corner of your layout to feel like? Dark, downtrodden and dirty or light, spacious and modern (for the time)? I'm going to suggest 'pick a feeling', block in the other details (what is intended on the patch of bare cork?) and then decide on height, texture and detail for the building on / off the backscene.

Cutting up cardboard is great fun :D

Steve

Or incorporate everything and just extend the baseboard back by a few inches ;)

PMP

Western Thunderer
That wall looks good, and take heed of Neil's design by committee comment, it's on the nail and it's your trainset!

Al Reynolds Cogirep has a diffused block shape skyline which works really well and is worth looking at too

adrian

Flying Squad

Agreed - so I'm not going to make any suggestion, just a comment to say I preferred the original scheme with the back lane disappearing into the distance.:D

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Well, thanks again fellas, for the varied and interesting input!

I've been doing a bit of cutting in the modelling room, since my last post (no photos just yet though, sorry).

I've removed the 'northlights' from the factory wall and am gluing-up some top plinths to go at the top of each bay, above the windows. I haven't yet shortened the building by the one bay, but judging by the comments on the proposed brick wall, that may happen soon.

I'm thinking that the factory structure will be a flat roofed example, as per Paul's suggestion a few posts ago. It would be very difficult to convincingly show a sloping roof in 2D, with virtually no space behind, before the backscene, so I think I'll just finish it off as if it had a flat roof.

I've also started building the gate pillars and have knocked up a pair of planked plasticard gates, with curved tops, rather like the 'Reely Grate Co Ltd' ones above (thanks for that!).

I'll complete the above items and position them on the layout, and try positioning the back left-hand corner part-relief building in different positions, to see what looks best. I'll abolish it completely, if necessary.

Oh, and Jordan, I'm thinking of using that nice 'receding lane' photo, albeit behind the new wooden gates.... so at least some of it will hopefully be visible - the new gates are 40mm high (so equating to 10' scaled up)...;)

Steve - interested with your comment about the 'feel' of the place... 'Callow Lane' is set in the Yate area, north of Bristol, so it's not 'eh bah gum ooop North heavy industrial', if you pardon my awful accent, but neither is it namby pamby twee chocolate box thatched cottage country either. It's almost urban, but maybe slightly more suburban. A bit grotty, but not completely run down and on it's last legs, either... (sorry if that doesn't make sense, at least I think I know what I mean...!:D).

The patch of cork in the front of the photo is where the signal box goes (already completed), plus lamp hut, with a yard office slightly behind and to the right somewhere... Just to the right (visible in some of the earlier photos), is the site of the old halt platforms, the halt having been closed in the 1920s...

Neil

Western Thunderer
..... Steve - interested with your comment about the 'feel' of the place... 'Callow Lane' is set in the Yate area, north of Bristol, so it's not 'eh bah gum ooop North heavy industrial', if you pardon my awful accent, but neither is it namby pamby twee chocolate box thatched cottage country either. It's almost urban, but maybe slightly more suburban. A bit grotty, but not completely run down and on it's last legs, either... (sorry if that doesn't make sense, at least I think I know what I mean...!:D)....

Makes perfect sense to me Tim, though I don't know Yate your description puts me in mind of the Foss Islands branch near Rowntree Halt in York.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thats a great photo link Neil, its caused me to drag out the Model Railway Planning Handbook and have a look at the scheme in there :)

The comment was aimed more at that specific corner of your layout Tim rather than the whole, although I'm glad it prompted the description you've given - it sounds interesting and matches what you've built already. I was really wondering aloud whether you felt that the corner should have a slightly different feel to the rest of the layout or not and basing any building driven decision on that. I think as long as the cork patch inhabitants are considered in the arrangement (as they will be affected by what you put at the rear of the layout) you'll come up with what suits you best. I think most of us just chuck out suggestions in the hope that they spark off an idea for you to run with :)

Right, I need to stop commenting and looking at planning books lest I get even more distracted
Steve

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Yes, that's an excellent photo, Neil, and is not that far off what I'm aiming for, although the factory isn't anywhere near as huge as the Rowntree one... (maybe just as well that the Cuthbertson Chocolate factory is actually completely off scene, then...;)).

Done a bit more tonight in terms of shortening the main factory structure and making good the brickpaper edges, also fitted some 'hinges' to the new gates and made a start on the brick walls.

In terms of what the area looks like with the signal box, Steve, here are a couple of photos taken a year or so ago of that area (the signal box - and the Hymek! - will get some weathering, of course ;)) :
IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Oh, and Jordan, I'm thinking of using that nice 'receding lane' photo, albeit behind the new wooden gates....
I think that's a great idea! I did like that picture in fact and thought it worked well with the building, but the lane itself didnt quite match up with the 3D road in front. But with the gates in front - yep that'd work!! :) :thumbs:
(with apologies - I'm not intending "layout design by commitee" here... :oops: )