BUNCOMBE A small terminus up from the junction at Phewlham Well

John TAYLOR

Western Thunderer
The signal box is now in place and work is going on with re-surfacing the platform.

P1010242.JPG

I`ve been working with various thicknesses of card soaked in Shellac, to form the platform and surrounding roadways etc, to which plasticard and some new (to me) products are being used.

20220910_020710.jpg

Having used enamel paints for just about everything so far I am making a big move over to the benefits (at least for me) of Acrylic paints in their many guises.

20230703_073453 (2).jpg

Airbrushed Lifecolor acrylics oversprayed with Tamiya Clear Matt . An acrylic Dulux tester pot `mortar` applied and wiped off in the traditional way.

Platform edging slabs cut from plasticard and hand panted with Tamiya textured pavement grey before gluing in place.

20230719_174106.jpg

They will be eventually weathered once the rest of the platform surface has been layed....

20230719_173807.jpg

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi John
Wonderful modelling the headers and stretchers under the platform coping look magnificent was this pattern
copied from a actual location?
David.

John TAYLOR

Western Thunderer
No Buncombe Station in the deepest part of southern England started as a wooden platform halt and corrugated hut plus a couple of sidings .

It was situated in a narrow valley and nestled between two rivers, the Loder and the Utter.

The two sidings were for Buwwets Small Arms Factory and by the end of the First World War the station had been enlarged to it`s present form to cater for the increased traffic and subsequent passenger revenue.

Mr Almer Fudd made several personal trips to the factory to establish a more reliable supply of the special buwwets manufactured there.

There will be more Buncombe history soon......

John TAYLOR

Western Thunderer
Hi John
Wonderful modelling the headers and stretchers under the platform coping look magnificent was this pattern
copied from a actual location?
David.

Thanks David,
Although not strictly an actual location it is based on GWR practice plus the limitations of SouthernFinecast O gauge brickwork sheets.

gwrls2025a.jpg

Clearly not all GWR platforms were perfect..........

gwrw390a.jpg

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi John
Thanks for the Photos,
I for some reason I have never noticed this pattern even though I have looked at many GWR station photos.
In the second photo that station certainly has a odd shape platform do you know the name of this station? it would be interesting to know why it is in this shape.
I have seen platforms at terminal stations that have small sections cut away these cutouts are adjacent to the points the ones I have seen are to allow for the over swing of locos as they run around their train near the buffer stops, but the shape and length of cutouts on the platform in the photo seems excessive which to me looks like there is two of them , “Mind The Gap“.
Southern Cross station in Melbourne I think has this feature we are going to the big smoke by train tomorrow I’ll get a photo if it has.
David.

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi John
The station was extremely busy with most platforms occupied due to a couple of major footy matches so it took some time to get a photo.
All the terminal Broad gauge and duel gauge platforms had cutouts in the Coping adjacent to the points, the shape / angle of the cutout
varied throughout its length all the cutouts looked similar, the switch ends of the cutouts had a gradual angle and the crossing ends were sharper, the platform walls however were not touched they must have got enough clearance by just cutting away the overhang of the Coping edge.
They painted an extra white section near the cutout to keep the colour width of the Coping uniform and the "Mind The Gap" wording was altered to fit between it and the Tack Tiles as can be seen in the photo.
The Sprinter on the left at platform 7A was our Seymour Service it was so packed people were still standing after the 46 mile post, abut 60 minutes of traveling time we were lucky we got a seat.
David.
These are the Broad gauge lines 5'3"
IMG_9651.jpeg