BR Blue shunty planky TMD yard layout 33 challenge SPITAL JUNCTION now Kings Cross Depot

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Phil

When are you going to let me have a copy of the plan and a 150 word write up for the Challenge 33 details, you are almost the only one missing (that is apart from me, doh!!).

Rob

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Just found this shot

p891646299-4.jpg

For y'all who don't know. I've been looking for a shot that shows diesels on the turntable, or more accurately, when it was filled in and tracked over, this shot in 63 fits all the other data that says steam was banned from the cross from mid 63, so one presumed the turntable existed until then, however photo proof has been very hard to come by until last night when I found this and one other very dark shot (since cleaned for my personal use) of a Deltic on the turntable

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63924222@N06/8124333047/

mickoo

Western Thunderer
And the info just keeps on piling in, never seen any of these shots on this site before, I can see me spending some money here for digital copies!

p113064900-4.jpg

p446742165-4.jpg

And this one is just amazing, best close up shot I've seen of the loco pits in diesel days.
p1804576268-4.jpg

More here http://railonline.zenfolio.com/f508575833 Just type in Kings Cross in the search engine, but beware to check out what's new sections and WIP as these are not found in the search engine, ohh and say good bye to a large portion of your free time browsing, just found some excellent Class 17 shots and Scottish loco scenes etc:thumbs:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil that building would make a nice model
John

I was thinking the same but using this scene as the entrance to a fictional depot that would be to the left not to the right as Kings X passenger loco is and not necessarily Kings X either (insert region, era, depot of choice). These shots from what is Platform 17 are quite rare, very few people ventured round here, let alone took good quality photos.

alcazar

Have you thought of building the layout as it was just before steam was banned? Give you an excuse to have an A1? Or an A4? Metalsmiths do a good turntable..... AND you can still have your diesels.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm finding it difficult to focus without these distractions! Hmm A4... :)
Oh dear, Sunday at SVR last year is begining to seep in I fear, all those steam trains and beer LOL

I've got a Finney A4 and tender under my bench, I'd forgotten about that until the previous post :thumbs:

I'd like to do Kings X in 61 but I know of two other layouts almost exactly the same except dates so a third would be unwise, Camden maybe? But that's a bigger prototype to model well.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
And you wouldn't want more layouts of KX because.........?

Duplication is a waste of my time and probably someone else, if we all made the same thing or just modeled a mere handful of prototypes we'd all be the poorer for it, I'm not that hung up on not doing Kings X, for me it's more important to do something that no one else has and thus add more variation to the modeling scene :thumbs: