Björknäs, a Swedish estate railway

Inspiration
  • George M

A while back on the new members thread, I promised a layout thread. The rather dramatic arrival of No.2 son in June put a bit of a crimp on time and energy, but here it is at last. For those that follow the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling - Online forum (NGRM-Online), most of this information is repeated there, but for those that do not ...

The Inspiration:

The layout is heavily inspired by Hälgenäs which was a small port serving Edsbruk (bruk = factory in Swedish) and the surrounding estate in eastern Sweden. The bruk was originally a blast furnace serving the local mines, but when the iron ore ran out at the end of the 19th century, it converted to the production of cellulose. A small port was built at Hälgenäs and a narrow gauge railway (600mm gauge) was built to connect the two. The railway also carried sawn timber and ved (firewood) for export via the port. Although the piers have gone, much of the route of the railway can still be traced and at least 3 of the locomotives have survived into preservation, more of which annon ...

This is the photo that initially inspired this project! In the 1960s, a photographer visited the estate and took many photos of the cellulose factory and the estate railway. This is the base of the main (southern) pier at Hälgenäs...

... and the reverse angle showing packages of cellulose being loaded onto a small ship.

The wagons are fairly standard Swedish 8m long narrow gauge frames that appear with small variations under many wagons and even carriages. I'll need at least 4, one built so far.

The cellulose factory at the other end of the line. The locomotive, a small diesel mechanical, survives and is operational on the Ohsbana near Jönköping. A model has been built.

While I will not be modelling this style of ship, the layout will be set at such a height that my model of Constantia, a 33m 2 masted schooner from 1908 on which I sometimes crew, will sit at the right height behind the layout.

I see I can only insert 5 pictures from Flikr at a time, so more to follow. I will also start filling in more about the layout and progress to date as and when the small people permit

best regards from Stockhlm, George!

The Layout
  • George M

This will be "Inspired by" rather than a faithful copy! The general principles are as follows:

As a challenge to myself, I am following the principles of the late Carl Arndt's micro layouts, i.e. the scenic part will be 4 square feet served by a short fiddle stick.

The trackplan will be virtually as the original (see photos 2 and 3, above) essentially 3 parallel roads forming 2 connected loops.

Scale is 1:45, continental O scale, and gauge is 12mm, but I freely admit to using the rubber ruler so some items are 7mm scale (well .. swedes can be tall!) and the ship is 1:50 scale (false perspective, well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).

The railway will also carry passengers, which should add some complications to operations (passenger trains only on the middle road, we don't want our guests stepping out of the carriage straight into the Baltic ... usually!

It is radio controlled, No B****y pickups!

I want to try and keep the open feel of the area, despite being in an area just over 4' long and less than 1 foot wide.

It will be set in autumn. I like the colours!

Some progress so far:

The dock beginning to take shape with Constantia moored behind. The dock is largely coffee stirrers and lime wood and was built upside-down directly onto the plan you can see below it. The locomotive is a model of the one seen in photo 4 above.

Now stained with the wee 1941 Diema (ex-Nobel Explosive factory in Gitorp, ex-German heavy water plant; Telemark, Norway, now preserved in Frövi, Sweden). The wagon is a German WW1 Feldbahn wagon, many of which came to Sweden second-hand.

Reed-beds, very common on this part of the Baltic coast, beginning to form. water spreading

The first bogie flat wagon

Behind the shed

Last edited: