Björknäs, a Swedish estate railway

Inspiration

George M

A while back on the new members thread, I promised a layout thread. The rather dramatic arrival of No.2 son in June put a bit of a crimp on time and energy, but here it is at last. For those that follow the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling - Online forum (NGRM-Online), most of this information is repeated there, but for those that do not ...

The Inspiration:

The layout is heavily inspired by Hälgenäs which was a small port serving Edsbruk (bruk = factory in Swedish) and the surrounding estate in eastern Sweden. The bruk was originally a blast furnace serving the local mines, but when the iron ore ran out at the end of the 19th century, it converted to the production of cellulose. A small port was built at Hälgenäs and a narrow gauge railway (600mm gauge) was built to connect the two. The railway also carried sawn timber and ved (firewood) for export via the port. Although the piers have gone, much of the route of the railway can still be traced and at least 3 of the locomotives have survived into preservation, more of which annon ...

This is the photo that initially inspired this project! In the 1960s, a photographer visited the estate and took many photos of the cellulose factory and the estate railway. This is the base of the main (southern) pier at Hälgenäs...

... and the reverse angle showing packages of cellulose being loaded onto a small ship.

The wagons are fairly standard Swedish 8m long narrow gauge frames that appear with small variations under many wagons and even carriages. I'll need at least 4, one built so far.

The cellulose factory at the other end of the line. The locomotive, a small diesel mechanical, survives and is operational on the Ohsbana near Jönköping. A model has been built.

While I will not be modelling this style of ship, the layout will be set at such a height that my model of Constantia, a 33m 2 masted schooner from 1908 on which I sometimes crew, will sit at the right height behind the layout.

I see I can only insert 5 pictures from Flikr at a time, so more to follow. I will also start filling in more about the layout and progress to date as and when the small people permit

best regards from Stockhlm, George!

The Layout

George M

This will be "Inspired by" rather than a faithful copy! The general principles are as follows:

As a challenge to myself, I am following the principles of the late Carl Arndt's micro layouts, i.e. the scenic part will be 4 square feet served by a short fiddle stick.

The trackplan will be virtually as the original (see photos 2 and 3, above) essentially 3 parallel roads forming 2 connected loops.

Scale is 1:45, continental O scale, and gauge is 12mm, but I freely admit to using the rubber ruler so some items are 7mm scale (well .. swedes can be tall!) and the ship is 1:50 scale (false perspective, well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).

The railway will also carry passengers, which should add some complications to operations (passenger trains only on the middle road, we don't want our guests stepping out of the carriage straight into the Baltic ... usually!

It is radio controlled, No B****y pickups!

I want to try and keep the open feel of the area, despite being in an area just over 4' long and less than 1 foot wide.

It will be set in autumn. I like the colours!

Some progress so far:

The dock beginning to take shape with Constantia moored behind. The dock is largely coffee stirrers and lime wood and was built upside-down directly onto the plan you can see below it. The locomotive is a model of the one seen in photo 4 above.

Now stained with the wee 1941 Diema (ex-Nobel Explosive factory in Gitorp, ex-German heavy water plant; Telemark, Norway, now preserved in Frövi, Sweden). The wagon is a German WW1 Feldbahn wagon, many of which came to Sweden second-hand.

Reed-beds, very common on this part of the Baltic coast, beginning to form. water spreading

The first bogie flat wagon

Behind the shed

Last edited:

George M

For a bit of fun!

Been a bit of an invasion of seagulls this week

Currently the only kettle, based on 1901 built Virå of the Stafsjö Järnväg, now preserved in working order at Marifred. The hopper wagons are from the Nyberg mine and railway in Darlana, as is the carriage. I know of only one photo of this carriage and no drawings, so all the dimensions are guestimated from that phots, which also contains a couple of the hopper wagons (4 of which survive at Marifred).

OK, that will do for now, best regards from Sweden, George!

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
This looks very interesting George, I do like the boat. Did you build it from scratch or a kit?
Can I ask you upload photos please as sometimes the links to Flicr doesn't always work.
Lovely reeds....
Are you going to simulate the cellulose "smell" like Bridgwater, Somerset had a few years ago!!
Welcome and cheers
Julian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Love the look of the reeds, and the water!
Mention of Carl Arendt - are you aware of the unofficial 'successor' to his Micro layouts Scrapbook - "The Dispatch" published & edited by Ian Holmes, an Englishman living in Minnesota,USA?
I reckon he would very much welcome a write-up and photos of your layout, and the real life inspiration. :thumbs:

George M

This looks very interesting George, I do like the boat. Did you build it from scratch or a kit?
Can I ask you upload photos please as sometimes the links to Flicr doesn't always work.
Lovely reeds....
Are you going to simulate the cellulose "smell" like Bridgwater, Somerset had a few years ago!!
Welcome and cheers
Julian
Many thanks for the likes and kind comments.

Constantia is based on the well known Billing kit for Lilla Dan. Despite being built in 1951 (for a Danish shipping company as a sail training ship), Lilla Dan follows a classic Danish design of which our ship also belongs:

15508885895_fd82d52d5a_o.jpg
53163729989_70636b1537_o.jpg

Lilla Dan in Copenhagen.

43210171321_2b4136e370_o.jpg

Constantia in the middle with 2 other very similar Danish built schooners.

27998989920_f5579c9b21_o.jpg

Putting to sea with a couple of Colin Archer designed Norwegian ex-lifeboats during Nordisk Seilas, a nordic tall ships race.

51418181812_3a1969c4de_o (1).jpg

Not the best weather but topical as Göteborg, on the left, a replica of an old Swedish East India Company ship was recently in the news for rescuing a yacht in the middle of the Bay of Biscay. Imagine issuing a Mayday and this thing pops up over the horizon! Anyway, Göteborg was visiting Stockholm so we took Constantia out to have a look and goof around the harbour under sail. Picture taken by one of our group from shore, that's me hiding behind the foremast.

24276707631_483f61cb0a_o.jpg

Anyway, the kit has been around a long time and must have re-payed its original designers many times.

25066897534_492388cc02_o.jpg

The hull needed a couple of modifications to better match Constantia, which was built for freight rather than sail training.

27071560792_930828a7ce_o.jpg

The deck houses in particular are all new-build, and the the raised aft deck is somewhat smaller.

28016859734_4f556db329_o.jpg

Many details have been modified and upgraded to better match both the prototype and modern scale model appearance.

27098195661_058156dcfc_o.jpg

Like many of my projects, still more to do. The problem with being extremely familiar with the prototype is that I am very aware of what should be there, and how it should be made! It is too tempting to go overboard (literally!) with detail.

26646445850_47ec24f75d_o.jpg

The view from the sharp end, taken by a very surprised seagull!

best regards from Sweden, George!

George M

Love the look of the reeds, and the water!
Mention of Carl Arendt - are you aware of the unofficial 'successor' to his Micro layouts Scrapbook - "The Dispatch" published & edited by Ian Holmes, an Englishman living in Minnesota,USA?
I reckon he would very much welcome a write-up and photos of your layout, and the real life inspiration. :thumbs:

Thankyou. I am very aware of The Dispatch and have subscribed from issue 2. I have however already been knobbled by John Clutterbuck of the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling journal. I will however see what I can dream up for The Dispatch at some stage.

best regards from Sweden, George!

George M

I've been tinkering with my wee battery electric locomotive.

20240424_235559.jpg

This is based on a locomotive built in 1941 by Nora Bil & Motorverkstad (basically the local garage) in Nora, Sweden for Stockås Torvströfabrik (peat works), Mullhyttan.

2024-04-25_08-18-20.jpg

This is how it looked when I first saw it at the Frovi Maskin & Bruksbahn Museum.

loco11.jpg

Its clearly had a long and interesting life! The front axle appears to have been moved forward and the frame extended with angle rather than channel. The battery box lid has also been extended by a similar amount.

Torsdag 168.JPG

Last time I was in Frövi I was delighted to see this locomotive had been restored to working order using 4 tractor batteries rigged to give 48v.

2024-04-25_08-28-16.jpg

Anyway, the model. The teak is pure indulgence. I don't think even the Swedes would be building a small industrial in teak in 1941! The teak however has good narrow gauge railway pedigree being scrap from the restoration of Roslagsbanan No. 33 in which I was involved. I cut strips then lamenated them with brown card to give the tongue and groove effect.

2024-04-25_08-33-59.jpg

The axle boxes I has 3D printed/cast in brass by Shapeways to my own drawing. The rest are pieces of brass profile, coffee stirrers and odd bits of brass I had lying around. The drive was home brewed using bits from small model cars, a belt and a coreless moter, but was never very satisfactory., even after conversation to RC.

20240418_233248.jpg

Earlier this year Halling introduced a new modular drive that I thought should fit, so gave it a go. 7mm scale guy for scale ...

20240424_231307.jpg

All the electrickey fit neatly under the bonnet

20240425_001604.jpg20240424_235550.jpg

Even without additional ballast it will happily pull a fully loaded brass bogie wagon, I'll need to complete the second one to see if it can handle 2!

20240425_002403.jpg

Nice to finally have this one as a useable part of the fleet.

20240425_002806.jpg

"This is no Rolls Royce and You are definitely no angle! "

Best regards from Stockholm, George!

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hallo George,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful creation, I was so impressed that I dug out my old 0e Deutz, just in case.

Tim