Basingstoke Show, 8th/9th March 2014 - Post Show Layouts report

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Funny thing co-incidences... I processed the first batch of "layout photos" today and thought that I ought to start the 2014 Show topic - and then noticed that I started the 2013 Show topic on the same day one year back. So here is a taster.

Models of the London Underground are rare, models of the London Underground which impress are even rarer, so here is a photo which is "up there". I suspect that this shot might be from a viewing angle which is not available at a show - if that is the case then at least we have a grand pikkie to start the pre-amble for 2014.

This is "Abbey Road" and is from the "Abbey Road Group" (source of the photograph), this layout is appearing at the Basingstoke 2014 show.
abbey-road-web-1.jpg

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The forthcoming Basingstoke Model Railway Exhibition is taking place on 8th and 9th March 2014 at:-

Richard Aldworth Science College,
Western Way,
Basingstoke,
RG22 6HA

Opening times are 10.00 to 17.00 on Saturday and 10.00 to 16.00 on Sunday. For those travelling by car there is a car park within the school grounds. For those who wish to travel by train there are two options for the journey between the station and the venue:-
* Heritage Bus, a free service;
* Stagecoach Jazz service 3.

And the best news? Admission prices held for the third year running! Adults pay £5 for at least 28 layouts plus at least 17 traders (confirmed as of 1st January 2014), concessions are £4 and children under 6 years are free.

The Basingstoke Club website has more information about the layouts, traders and travel options - including departure times of the Heritage Bus from Basingstoke railway station. In passing, I think that a vote of thanks is due to the people who provide the vehicle and operate the Heritage Bus service - this year, as in past years, the free service is provided by the Aldershot and District Omnibus Rescue and Restoration Society.

regards, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'm looking forward to this year's show. I couldn't make it last year, but it's definitely on the calendar this year.

Dock Green is attending, I believe. I've followed that layout's progress over on RMW, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I'm looking forward to this year's show... it's definitely on the calendar this year.
Good on you Heather, as you are the first WT to announce attendance then you get the opportunity to organise the WT-meet on the day of your choice - noting that there is no test track so maybe you need to see the floor plan before the show (a copy shall be posted to the topic when available).

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
As Heather is keen to see Dock Green I am including a couple of photos of this 7mm layout which is attending our show this year (photos supplied by Chaz).

This photo is very reminiscent of lineside industries in the inner city environs - I like particularly the drums on the stand in the lean-to shed. I guess that I am going to have to wait until the show to find out if there are drip trays under the taps or the ground is stained with spillage.
Dock-Green-3.jpg

Canal scenes can be done well, or done badly, or maybe should not have been done at all. This is a superb piece of work which reeks of filthy and obnoxious backwaters - and just imagine that dark and dank feeling under the bridge. Oh, and just how did Chaz get that "sack and ashes" appearance of the ballast?
Dock-Green-4.jpg

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Today we wander westward... to a small corner of Wiltshire... to Fisherton Sarum. This 4mm layout by Graham Muspratt was due to attend our show in 2013 - Graham was not able to attend then and so we asked him to come along this year..

Fisherton-Sarum-1.jpg

Photo supplied by Graham and copyright Chris Nevard.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
On the off-chance that sufficient WT-ers to form a WT-meeting attend on the same day, here is a reminder of how to recognise me.

red-hat.jpg

Of course, March is in the silly hat season so anything suitable is acceptable - especially any Tilley which accompanies Steph.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
When I asked Gordon about bringing Pempoul to Basingstoke his reply was something like "just six shows a year, you might have to wait a while...". Four years have gone by since that conversation and I am glad to say that Pempoul, my all time favourite layout, is attending the Basingstoke 2014 Show. As for photographs, I am spoilt for choice and I am sure that no one is going to complain when I return to this layout in future weeks.

gravett-pempoul-1.jpg
Photo courtesy of Gordon Gravett.

nevard-pempoul-1.jpg
Photo courtesy of Chris Nevard / Model Rail.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
For those who might consider travelling by train, as of today the situation in respect of engineering works is as follows:-

Engineering between Brockenhurst and Southampton on both show days.

Otherwise, no scheduled occupation for any lines to/through Basingstoke and to/through Reading,

If the situation changes before the week of the show then I shall try to add details to this topic.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
This is a summary of the layouts which have confirmed attendance at the Bassingstoke 2014 Show:-

N gauge / 2mm scale
Dentdale
Freshwater
Kidmore Creek
Numchen
Waton
Witney Euston

TT gauge
Rhineside

00 / H0 gauge
Abbey Road
Ashbury Brook
Botleigh Old North Road
Carolann
Essellty
Falkland Vale
Fisherton Sarum
Manston Airport
Traffic in the City
Warren Lane

4mm scale P4 standard
Harton Gill
Lee-on-the-Solent

0 gauge
Aldermouth Road
Dock Green
Figges Marsh TMD
Wantage

Narrow gauge
Pempoul
Racoon Canyon Mining
Rhinefeld

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Each year the Basingstoke Club invites around 25 layouts to attend the annual exhibition and I get the pleasant task of publicising the show through WT and RMW. On average I receive five or six photos per layout, most are good, some ought to stay in the drawer and then there are those which jump up and scream "use me". This year, 2014, is a great year in that we have several stupendous layouts and a higher than normal number of pikkies which deserve an early slot in the threads, for example Dock Green and Pempoul (and yes I have some corkers to come for those two layouts). So today I am featuring a layout which is new to me and one which is likely to have visitors coming back for another look.

Racoon Canyon Mining...

flint-racoon-2.jpg
Photo by Steve Flint / Railway Modeller, courtesy of Tony Kell.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
And now for something different compared to previous posts. Harton Gill is a P4 layout which is attending the Basingstoke 2014 Show. An interesting prototype and one which features an unusual type of locomotive for this country, that is the bogie steeplecab electric engine. Oh,okay, the NER signal box is pretty neat as well.

HartonGill-4.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Carshalton & Sutton Model Railway Club.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Graham

It does seem that you have a really high quality selection of layouts coming to your show - just from the selection of pictures so far.

I await the next teasing instalment:)

Yours

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
It does seem that you have a really high quality selection of layouts coming to your show - just from the selection of pictures so far.
Just 20 miles from Reading, Richard, and the journey to the Reading Trade Show is a journey that you make regularly ;) .

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Just how many "snow" scene layouts have there been over the years? I can think of just the one, other than the layout to be featured next, and that is Hudson Road (MRJ, yonks ago). Witney Euston is a 2mm Fine Scale layout set in winter time. Here is the first of a couple of superb photos:-

nevard-witney-1.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
From snow to sunshine.... the absence of peeps suggests that this layout is set on a summer saturday in between departure of the previous guests and the arrival of the next influx of holiday makers - Lee-on-the-Solent is a 4mm P4 layout and is appearing at the Basingstoke 2014 show.

Pic_Lee_3 - Copy.jpg
Photo courtesy of South Hants MRC.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
An interesting prototype and one which features an unusual type of locomotive for this country, that is the bogie steeplecab electric engine.

A Judith Edge kit for an NER steeplecab (ES1) was a surprise Christmas gift for me this year, it will feature on my workbench at some point. It will be a first for me and the only none steam traction that I am ever likely to do:)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have seen the adjective "bucolic" applied to some railway backwaters and I guess that the next layout is a representation of just such a backwater. "Wantage" is a delightful 7mm model of the railway which ran between the GWR at Wantage Road and the nearby town of Wantage. The layout is by D S Cox of the Crawley MRS... at this time I have not been able to find a web page for the model, please let me know if you have an appropriate link.

nevard-wantage-2.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Coming up to date; here is a photograph of Waton, a N-gauge layout inspired by Water Orton (Midland Railway in the Birmingham area) and featuring stock in the privatisation era.

Waton-2.jpg
Photo courtesy of Dave Strenshaw.

The construction of this layout has been covered in another forum, see here. The layout was entered for and won the RMWeb 2010 challenge, For a video of the layout here is a link to Utube...