Bank Top Yard (Industrial)

wigancg

Western Thunderer
This evening, Diana has been having some final touches to make her ready for duty in the yard. She's been coaled, crew added and oil cans added to the running plate as well as some extra bit of weathering powders added here and there to add a bit of a rust effect starting to show through on the smokebox side.

PXL_20240326_195638163.NIGHT.jpg

I'm happy with her now and she looks the part trundling slowly around the overgrown sidings and yard. Such an excellent slow runner. I highly rate and recommend these Victory class models from Planet Industrials if you're into shunting and slow movements.
PXL_20240326_195657439.NIGHT.jpg

She's certainly caught the attention of Gordon's camera so that must be a good sign!

PXL_20240326_195815611.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240326_195828481.NIGHT.jpg

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Modelling bits and bobs and odd jobs continues, as well as the odd moment moving things around the layout.

Diana kindly posed for a quick snap this week. It's nice that both she and Elspeth are different in many ways, not just the livery. However, both girls are super runners with shunting.

PXL_20240424_214859751.jpg
The focus for this photo was actually the lovely couplings rather than the locomotive or the rolling stock. I have discovered some weathering washes in a box recently too, one of which is 'Oily Black' and another, 'Grimy Black'. That needs using on the ballast and sleepers near the water tank where the locomotives would stand for a while.

PXL_20240424_215029391.NIGHT.jpg
The instanter couplings provided with these Accurascale wagons are great. Easy to fit and no fuss when rakes are kept together.

PXL_20240424_214941572.jpg
Although I do think that the steps and handles are very fiddly and easily become detached with some mishandling.

You can easily while away 20 minutes or half an hour with some slow shunting. Thinking ahead, I have plans for a locomotive of some kind dumped at the end of one of the sidings at the corrugated shed end of the layout. Something small like a tank engine to give the impression that it hasn't been used for years and awaiting its fate. Something may appear in due course.

Off to the Key Model World event in Birmingham tomorrow so it's an early start from Taunton. Also, the SWAG event in Taunton is on the cards too for this Sunday. Work hard in the week for weekend modelling adventures!

Chris

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Modelling bits and bobs and odd jobs continues, as well as the odd moment moving things around the layout.

Diana kindly posed for a quick snap this week. It's nice that both she and Elspeth are different in many ways, not just the livery. However, both girls are super runners with shunting.

View attachment 214148
The focus for this photo was actually the lovely couplings rather than the locomotive or the rolling stock. I have discovered some weathering washes in a box recently too, one of which is 'Oily Black' and another, 'Grimy Black'. That needs using on the ballast and sleepers near the water tank where the locomotives would stand for a while.

View attachment 214150
The instanter couplings provided with these Accurascale wagons are great. Easy to fit and no fuss when rakes are kept together.

View attachment 214149
Although I do think that the steps and handles are very fiddly and easily become detached with some mishandling.

You can easily while away 20 minutes or half an hour with some slow shunting. Thinking ahead, I have plans for a locomotive of some kind dumped at the end of one of the sidings at the corrugated shed end of the layout. Something small like a tank engine to give the impression that it hasn't been used for years and awaiting its fate. Something may appear in due course.

Off to the Key Model World event in Birmingham tomorrow so it's an early start from Taunton. Also, the SWAG event in Taunton is on the cards too for this Sunday. Work hard in the week for weekend modelling adventures!

Chris

That's some lovely modelling there, Chris.

I shall look forward to catching up with you on Sunday.

Rob

wigancg

Western Thunderer
I've been meaning for a while to conceal the join between the backscene and baseboard on the water tower end of the layout. I've been rather undecided whether to go for a weathered concrete fence look or a corrugated sheeting rough look. Either way, I wanted a fence of some description.

I opted for the corrugated metal sheet look as it is a rough yard that nobody really cares about - NCB/BR use, whatever comes out the box on each session. Anyway, I'm happy with the result.

PXL_20240428_184146585.NIGHT.jpg

I've enjoyed this little project (I like to split up modelling into little projects and often have multiple things on the go at once, which is how I tackle my railway book collection - currently reading about the Paddington-Wolverhampton main line, whilst also having GWR signalling Practice on the go. Oh, and I am reading a very interesting Working Wagons book each day on the train whilst commuting to Swindon. Fun times!) Anyway, back to the fencing...

I've enjoyed this weekend task in between the NEC exhibition yesterday and the lovely SWAG meeting in Taunton today. The fence was cut and supported with bracing behind the sheets, appropriate graffiti daubed over some of the panels and then covered with some grimy washes to bring the corrugated sheets to life. Once dry, the usual weathering powders came out (dark city dirt, dark earth and light rust) and applied.

PXL_20240428_183932486.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240428_184220109.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240428_184009942.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240428_184206703.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240428_184245881.NIGHT.jpg

There are a couple of bits of graffiti hidden behind the brick building with the two chaps outside, plus behind the metal lock up:
RAVE! and WILSON NOT HEATH.

First time I've had a go at graffiti on a larger scale and, again, I'm happy with it. As always though, I like to research such things and had a look at some typical graffiti from the 1960's and 70's. Politics, strikes, music, football, railway related was what I was looking for with the time periods. Some can arguably be used today I guess. Nothing changes!

For the KILROY WOZ HERE, I did consider drawing the figure peeping over the fence with a big nose (apparently the research suggested this was an American GI thing that came about during WWII) but my drawing skills weren't beckoning today. Maybe next time. You don't see that type of thing these days on walls and fences. Perhaps it's unfashionable now and it's Banksy instead that defines the times we live in?

Time for rest now.
Chris

-7007-

I've been meaning for a while to conceal the join between the backscene and baseboard on the water tower end of the layout. I've been rather undecided whether to go for a weathered concrete fence look or a corrugated sheeting rough look. Either way, I wanted a fence of some description.

I opted for the corrugated metal sheet look as it is a rough yard that nobody really cares about - NCB/BR use, whatever comes out the box on each session. Anyway, I'm happy with the result.

View attachment 214336

I've enjoyed this little project (I like to split up modelling into little projects and often have multiple things on the go at once, which is how I tackle my railway book collection - currently reading about the Paddington-Wolverhampton main line, whilst also having GWR signalling Practice on the go. Oh, and I am reading a very interesting Working Wagons book each day on the train whilst commuting to Swindon. Fun times!) Anyway, back to the fencing...

I've enjoyed this weekend task in between the NEC exhibition yesterday and the lovely SWAG meeting in Taunton today. The fence was cut and supported with bracing behind the sheets, appropriate graffiti daubed over some of the panels and then covered with some grimy washes to bring the corrugated sheets to life. Once dry, the usual weathering powders came out (dark city dirt, dark earth and light rust) and applied.

View attachment 214333

View attachment 214338

View attachment 214334

View attachment 214337

View attachment 214339

There are a couple of bits of graffiti hidden behind the brick building with the two chaps outside, plus behind the metal lock up:

First time I've had a go at graffiti on a larger scale and, again, I'm happy with it. As always though, I like to research such things and had a look at some typical graffiti from the 1960's and 70's. Politics, strikes, music, football, railway related was what I was looking for with the time periods. Some can arguably be used today I guess. Nothing changes!

For the KILROY WOZ HERE, I did consider drawing the figure peeping over the fence with a big nose (apparently the research suggested this was an American GI thing that came about during WWII) but my drawing skills weren't beckoning today. Maybe next time. You don't see that type of thing these days on walls and fences. Perhaps it's unfashionable now and it's Banksy instead that defines the times we live in?

Time for rest now.
Chris
Nice work Chris. Very effective.

Tim

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer

View attachment 214336

View attachment 214333

View attachment 214338

View attachment 214334

View attachment 214337

View attachment 214339

Time for rest now.
Chris
Lovely stuff Chris, sets the period nicely

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I understood that the Kilroy thing did indeed start during WWII but that Kilroy was an Inspector in a ship yard on the East Coast building Liberty ships. No doubt there other stories to taste on Social Meeedya.