Banavie Road - Caledonian in S Scale

JimG

Western Thunderer
Another one for the Newsletter Jim?

Depends how much room I've got. :) This next issue is normally pretty full of reports from the AGM, and I've got the rest of Jas Millham's Wickham DMU article, so not going to be much room for other matters. :) I also might want to leave it for a bit and see how it works out as I progress in case there are "Gotchas" that I haven't happened upon yet. :)

Jim.

JimG

Western Thunderer
How are you going to sleeper the sections of rail at the base board edge?

Scott

I'll fill in the trackbed to the same level as the 5mm foam then lay in the sleepers that are required with cosmetic chairs. If a sleeper lands on the actual joint line, I'll divide it between each side of the join. If I had been really clever, I would have adjusted the Templot sleepering so that the space between sleepers spanned the joins avoiding the need to mess about when sleepers fall on joins, but I'm too far down the road now and I'll just have to deal with the awkward ones when they occur. :)

Jim.

Bob

Western Thunderer
Very impressive work there Jim:bowdown: I've always had a soft spot for S and am a huge admirer of Jas Milham's Yaxbury branch, one of my top 5 layouts of all time. The problem is I spend what precious modelling time I can get on my 3mm project. The attraction of S is the same as what attracted me to 3mm many years ago....that is that you have to make things which to me is what the hobby is all about. If any manufacturer announces an R-T-R system in 3mm I'll be off to S like a shot!

JimG

Western Thunderer
Very impressive work there Jim:bowdown: I've always had a soft spot for S and am a huge admirer of Jas Milham's Yaxbury branch, one of my top 5 layouts of all time. The problem is I spend what precious modelling time I can get on my 3mm project. The attraction of S is the same as what attracted me to 3mm many years ago....that is that you have to make things which to me is what the hobby is all about. If any manufacturer announces an R-T-R system in 3mm I'll be off to S like a shot!

Bob,

We've already got an RTR escape route in S - provided you're interested in North American prototypes.:) I've got a couple of US diesels and a drawer full of US rolling stock for the day I can get a layout built for them. It will probably be a tarted up shunting plank since Banavie Road is going to take a lot of time.

+1 on Jas' Yaxbury branch - still going strong and still being added to. I'm sure Jas won't mind one of his pictures being shown on here - his newly completed scratchbuilt Wickham unit at work on the layout.

yaxbury.jpg

He doesn't make it easy for the rest of us. :)

Jim.

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
Ah, the Yaxbury Branch; one of my all-time favourites.
I had the great priviledge of operating it at an exhibition many years ago.
Thanks, Dave.

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Bob,

+1 on Jas' Yaxbury branch - still going strong and still being added to. I'm sure Jas won't mind one of his pictures being shown on here - his newly completed scratchbuilt Wickham unit at work on the layout.

He doesn't make it easy for the rest of us. :)

Jim.

+1 :)
I've been fortunate to witness Jas's Wickham's unit developing week by week. It really is awe inspiring stuff! :thumbs:

Colin

Bob

Western Thunderer
Jim,
Thanks for posting that photo. Wonderful stuff:bowdown:.
Whilst I admire his latest 3mm layout, for me at least Yaxbury is up there with Buckingham for sheer "believability".
Looking forward to following the progress on Banavie Road too.

Bob

JimG

Western Thunderer
I made up the length of track to finish off the carriage siding, and set up the two boards again to lay this last piece of track, only to find that the PCB had warped and the rail ends were no longer in vertical alignment. I had thought that 1/16" PCB would be quite stiff, but apparently not. So the whole lot was stripped down and the PCB strips persuaded to stay flat by adding additional screws. Then the whole lot was rebuilt with all the rails aligned again, and the last part of the carriage siding added.

layout04.JPG

You will note the additional screws in the four foot ways of the main line tracks to try and things down more firmly. I'm going to investigate gluing the PCB to the wood to try and stabilise matters.

layout05.JPG

And a shot of the board to include the double junction on the main lines. The sleepering on the diamond crossing was copied from a Caledonian plan for interlaced crossings. The four dimples lower right are where the solder station was parked. I hope they flatten out. :)

Jim.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I am not surprised by what you have written re the PCB. The Basingstoke Club has used PCB 4mm sleeper strips, circa 12" long, for supporting the rail ends at board joints. The strips were secured to the 6mm birch ply baseboard top with two or three screws... and after a couple of months the rail ends were no longer aligned in the vertical plane. Fixing the strips to the ply by use of an epoxy resin adhesive seems to be a necessary step in the process of securing rails at board ends.

regards, Graham