Assembling a ragtag fugi-fu-f-freight fleet

Overseer

Western Thunderer
lanc IMG_2713.jpg
lanc IMG_2710.jpg
Near enough. That will do for now. Cast iron owners plates and some more markings still to fit before thinking about weathering. Need to finish the Rumney Models anchor mount tank for the tar train. I also have a 20T anchor mount kit to build as a Shell BP tank to go with the Dapol tank for fuel oil deliveries, not sure when that will be.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
1666 and all that.

Not much to it really. This is the ABS LMS Diag. 1895 kit being built as a Diag. 1666 wagon. Nothing changed on the body and only a few bolt heads shaved off the solebars. Ambis etched w irons and brakes from bits from Slaters, Ambis and MMP to suit the 9' wheelbase. Just the three bolt heads above each w iron to add and the brake safety loops. Not sure what I will do about buffer heads, certainly not thumb tacks. I had some of the ABS turned heads, which are nice, but think I used them all up. I think this one will be painted in faded LMS bauxite and replaced planks, with BR markings.

1666 IMG_2748.jpg
1666 IMG_2746.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Very nice. I acquired 3 ABS kits when they were being sold off before Christmas. Have you soldered the sides together? What's the key to soldering the corners without destroying the detail??

AJC

Western Thunderer
What's the key to soldering the corners without destroying the detail??
The answer - I wouldn't use anything other than solder for these - is, as ever, a clean joint with the minimum of solder (I cut small bits of and apply the round the joint - tack the parts in place first). Low melt spreads a bit like warm butter, so you can, with a bit more flux, spread it around to some extent.

Adam

EDIT: as a PS, while a temperature controlled iron is ideal, I use a spare bit for my usual 25W Antex with a winding of thick copper wire round it which serves as the soldering tip. An old dodge but cheap and effective.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Just the three bolt heads above each w iron to add...
I see what you mean about adding the bolts which secure the crown plate. There is a single bolt head to the inner edge of each axleguard - not sure of the purpose of that detail, can you help?

regards, Graham

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Very nice. I acquired 3 ABS kits when they were being sold off before Christmas. Have you soldered the sides together? What's the key to soldering the corners without destroying the detail??
I have to admit to gluing the sides together. Low temp solder never seems to flow into joints for me, I end up with a fillet of solder so I don't like low temp solder for joints with both sides exposed. If it was a van I would have soldered it.

Reactions: AJC

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I see what you mean about adding the bolts which secure the crown plate. There is a single bolt head to the inner edge of each axleguard - not sure of the purpose of that detail, can you help?

regards, Graham
I think they are the through bolts next to the transverse beams so probably not in the right places for the 9' underframe. I will check the photos to confirm if I need to move them as well.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The Rumney Models anchor mount tank has also been progressing little by little in spare half hours. Nearly ready for paint. The wheels and buffers are the only added components. All the included parts have been useable without modification, there are parts included for the horizontal outlet pipes which I haven't needed as tar tanks only had a vertical outlet pipe in the centre of the underframe.

tank IMG_2751.jpgtank IMG_2749.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The anchor mount tank nears completion. Just the 'cast iron' ownership plates to add to the solebars, a few small details and coupling chains. I think this will stay quite clean as it was new in 1955. The model is not a perfect match for Brotherton number 1062 but close enough for me. The differences include the open mesh platforms which were solid checker plate on the prototype, but I like the open mesh etch included in the kit.

bro3.jpg
bro4.jpg
bro5.jpg

Need some better light to take photos.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
As one who knows stuff about wagons, could you answer a question for me please?

The wagon below is a Bachmann RTR item. How accurate is it in terms of prototype and livery in terms of period for the late 50s / early 60s period?

It's not mine but I'm wondering if I can get away with running it on Polsarrett...

rps20220420_153138.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer

The wagon below is a Bachmann RTR item. How accurate is it in terms of prototype and livery in terms of period for the late 50s / early 60s period?

It's not mine but I'm wondering if I can get away with running it on Polsarrett...

View attachment 161378

It’s almost certainly based on a Chas Roberts official so it’s an accurate livery - though not necessarily an accurate wagon if you see what I mean. Tourret, Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain, pp. 156-8, suggests that the livery of the wagon was current in your period (the company branding changed slightly in 1957, but repaints weren’t instant).

Going back to Fraser’s Brotherton tank - plain, clean, black is a pain to photograph - but what a splendid model!

Adam

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer

View attachment 161378
I only know some stuff about some wagons in some time periods. If you had asked about Highland Railway wagons before 1900 I could have helped (and there is a thread). I agree with Adam’s answer but I don’t have any real knowledge about the late 50s or 60s tank wagons. I try to limit my BR wagons to pre 1957. When exhibiting I quite often run an anomaly or two to see if anybody notices, it can start conversations with people who do know what they are talking about.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Sorry but,

Have the Air Ministry A&B tank wagons ever been available in 4mm, they seem to be missing……

Tim

AJC

Western Thunderer
Sorry but,

Have the Air Ministry A&B tank wagons ever been available in 4mm, they seem to be missing……

Tim

At the risk of derailing Fraser’s thread further (sorry, Fraser), not since the PECO wonderful wagon (still available, not awful but not great either).

Adam

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
At the risk of derailing Fraser’s thread further (sorry, Fraser), not since the PECO wonderful wagon (still available, not awful but not great either).

Adam
Hopefully, an example might appear one day…..until then, hello Peco

Tim

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Back to the LMS diagram 1666 kit. Now painted in Humbrol No 9 Tan as the base for faded LMS bauxite (I hope) and unpainted replacement planks. Just noticed that I have forgotten to add the brake safety loops. It doesn't look as horrible in reality, but none of this will remain fully exposed when finished so the exact colour is not critical.

1666pa.jpg1666pb.jpg1666pc.jpg