And Another One

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi guys and gals, been lurking for quite a while, this seems quite the place for those interested in the (what I call) medium sized scales so have finally decided to pitch in.

I used to model in 4mm but moved up (and through very rapidly, though the three kits I have will be finished some day I'm sure) 7mm to Gauge 1, specifically 1/32 true scale. I'm an early 80s spotter youth so blue is the color, though in quick defence so is green and coal sector grey LOL. Interests are mainly BR diesel though LMR steam features highly but I have a strong interest in most things, most fall outside of even area 51, ie UP diesels/turbines, anything DB/SNCB/DSB/NS diesel/electric or Euro industrial, being half Danish helps with the Euro side of things :). A classic case of far too many interests which often invoke random and sparodic/rapid changes in interest and direction <sigh>, or what I prefer to call "grasshopper hobbying".

Currently scratch building a BR Class 40 in Plasticard but will post in the relevant forum in due course, but don't be alarmed if suddenly I post about modelling TRAXX, DSB MzIVs, SD-40-2s and GG1s :), see I digress again!.

Kindest

Michael (Mick the dane)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Welcome to the forum Mick :)
A quite splendid array of modelling interests (and a top scale to boot ;) ), you'll fit in here lovely :D
Steve

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mick,

You've joined the right place; there's a few of us (most of us!?) with broad interests, I model Southern Region in 0 and have interests in East German railways, the Southern Pacific and even Canadian in HO...

And, at the very least, BR in blue will go down well with many here. ;)

Steph

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick welcome to the forum:thumbs:. The class 40 project sounds interesting. Please post lots of pics, we all like lots of pics;)

Rob

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi Mickoo and welcome... don't underestimate the scope of Area 51 - sounds like most of your interests fall very neatly in that Section..!! You can post about SD40-2s in particular any time you like!! :D

When I get around to it, it'll be a UP variant with the 112" snoot nose, also a big fan of SD-70s (especially the utilitarian ones with the pill box style windows, much like Mz MkIV actually), and GP-38s and, you get the picture LOL, I'd love to attempt a DD40AX, that'd be something in 1/32:), I've little intention of running to scale curves, the best the garden will accept is 9' radius, so quite content to build just locos in some sort of depot/workshop scene, if I want long trains in grandiose scenery I'll opt for a smaller scale, but I've kind of moved away from running trains to engineer modeling trains.

Kindest

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Gents, ladies, all,

Thanks for the introductions, I'll try and keep the pictures flowing, the bad, the ugly but hopefully some good as well :).

Kindest

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Hello Mick, and welcome to WT. I've been watching your 1/32 40 and De*tic builds across the way - I'm looking forward to seeing your progress :cool:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hello Mick, and welcome to WT. I've been watching your 1/32 40 and De*tic builds across the way - I'm looking forward to seeing your progress :cool:

Thank you, I've opted to carry on here, there seems to be more interest in the larger scales here, rather than there. The Deltic will be along, but only once I've gained new skills, that compound curved side and nose will take some work. In reality I should of started with a 'Peak', theres no cant rail grills and at the moment thats the biggest headache on the Class 40, the only reason the Class 40 was first was due to having the roof profile radii, I still don't for the Peaks, mind, 40s sound better and theres more of them on the LMR than Peaks :).

Kindest

28ten

Guv'nor
A slightly belated welcome :) nothing wrong with Grasshopper or scattergun modeling, how boring would it be to do the same thing all the time?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thanks, I do admire those that can dedicate their whole interest to one small aspect of the whole railway system, those that model in exact detail, say, the Glwyn & Port Machnelletyh branch 1930 -1933, their dedication and research is fantastic as are their models....but, its not for me :). As I oft say at work, I'm a man of many anoraks.

Kindest

AdamF

Western Thunderer
Welcome aboard Mick :thumbs:

As someone who will struggle to keep my focus to one company, era etc. I am encouraged to see someone totally embrace the variety :)) :thumbs:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Welcome aboard, nice to see a variety of modelling interests. Myself, I model Southern in O and Dutch, Canadian, Cotton Belt and Australian in HO....