ALSRM Reading show - 10 May 2014

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

many thanks for the speedy reply.

There is a photo of a 'complete' bogie in MLI 197 and in that it looks like 12 - there is one spoke @ 12 o/clock and one @ 9 o/clock with two between them and the ones @ 1 o/clock and 8 o/clock seem to be 'in line' - the problem is that the photo is on the angle and you cannot be certain.

In the wording for the Class 21 & 29, there is a statement ........ Characteristic for both modellers and observers of the locomotives were the spoked wheel design, a feature from the steam era and a trademark of North British mainline locomotives. In the section on the Class 22, it states............Again, dynamically balanced spoked wheels were employed of 43" diameter carried in Timken roller bearing axleboxes.

Slaters quote for both - 10 spoke - 7843 General pattern or 7843SW for an LSWR version and 12 spoke - 7843NE LNER

cheers

Mike

taliesin

Western Thunderer
3'7" is indeed the diameter, the number of spokes is 11 or eleven for clarity but don't ask me why,
cheers Rob

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Guys,:)They were listed in Slaters catalogue, I have a set, yet I am holding on to them until JLTRT bring out their kit (or Dapol do a 22 in 7mm and then I will sell the wheels on:D). I seem to remember Slaters helped me choose them based on my info (at the time - years back) and their knowledge of the prototype. Next time I am near them - hidden away for safe keeping - I will count the spokes and check the size for you Mike. Kindest, CME:)

Hi Martin and Taliesin,

many thanks for your replies.

The only 11 spoke bogie/tender wheels that Slater's list are 7845GC and 7845S - both of which are 3'9" diameter - we can but hope that they are to produce the correct wheel and sooner rather than later.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Martin,

no worries, as I said above, just getting ready for the big day, so there is no rush. Slaters only list 'solid' wheels for diesels and spoked wheels as I have noted above.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

apologies, I only looked on the diesel and tender lists as opposed to drivers, they might do better if they relist it with the rest of the diesel wheels. Or perhaps they think that they are surplus tender wheels:)):thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian,

thanks, I found it after Steph's post , listed by type of wheel (spoked/driver) as opposed to diesel.

cheers

Mike