7mm Airfix Land Rover Series 1 107" pickup

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Aren't vehicles first registered more than 40 years ago exempt from MoT testing?
So presumably DVLA records just continue to show the last year for which it was required.

I'm sure others are far more knowledgeable in this area than me....

Andy

Osgood

Western Thunderer
And I wonder if maybe the year the vehicle was last taxed is not public information (if that vehicle report is anything to go by)?

Edit: Just checked on DVLA website - the LR is showing as currently taxed.

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Mike - I wonder if Costain ever got a personalised Blackwood Hodge advert like this Lovatt one?

I think that these appeared in the trial of the vandals - at one of the ballast pits used for fill materials for the M4.

img103.jpg

img102.jpg

as you can see, P J Conway came from your neck of the woods, don't know what happened to them. I remember that they bought the first Caterpillar D7E in the country in 1962, I had a photo of it on the low loader in Leverton's yard in Windsor published in the Contracts Journal.

regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Aren't vehicles first registered more than 40 years ago exempt from MoT testing?
So presumably DVLA records just continue to show the last year for which it was required.

I'm sure others are far more knowledgeable in this area than me....

Andy
Vehicles over 40 years old can be registered as “Historic”, and no longer need an MOT, but they do need to be “Taxed” as that prompts the DVLA to check they’re insured. The Tax is zero, but you still have to do it, as Mike, who now has my old Landy discovered to his cost.

Next time my 46-year old Guzzi comes up for tax, I think I’ll try to do it on Direct Debit :)

Western Thunderer
Having owned years ago a 1964 mini that was tax exempt but not MOT exempt under the old scheme. I'm slightly puzzled as to why DaFT decided it's okay not to test 40 year old cars. If they claim the idea is they don't do much mileage, then it only takes one mile to have your steering rack mounts do a BMC rust job just as you pass a school at 3.15pm.
Tony

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Having owned years ago a 1964 mini that was tax exempt but not MOT exempt under the old scheme. I'm slightly puzzled as to why DaFT decided it's okay not to test 40 year old cars. If they claim the idea is they don't do much mileage, then it only takes one mile to have your steering rack mounts do a BMC rust job just as you pass a school at 3.15pm.
Tony
Why not give yourself permission to drive a car without MOT? The water companies self certify all the time. See Raw sewage 'cover-up' at Windermere World Heritage Site

Brian

simond

Western Thunderer
It is clearly easier to keep a motorbike roadworthy than a car, if only because there’s much less structural sheet metal, and pretty much everything is visible with very little effort. And perhaps one is more aware of one’s vulnerability…

My local bike MOT station will do an “MOT test“ without going through the bits that older machines cannot pass - emissions primarily - and that’s cheaper than an hour’s labour. So you can get confirmation that your spannering is up to scratch. I don’t think I’d do it every year, but once in a while. Given the mileage the Guzzi does (2500 last year, but less than 500 this year) I think that’s a reasonable compromise.