Acorn standard class 4 2-6-0

bogusman

Western Thunderer
Hi guys
After saying I would not be tempted by the dark side (except by a Bullied pacific that I have a tender for loco coming soon) I have been seduced by Ebay where I have noticed a standard class 4 2-6-0 by Acorn models. My question is are these a good kit manufacturer and what would be a good price for this kit as I have no idea in the 7mm scale of prices and this kit manufacturer :scratch:. Any guidance gratefully accepted.

Pete 

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
The Acorn standards are amongst the most challenging of 7mm kits. One of the Heyside group is currently building a 77xxx, and having seen his example, I'm glad I vowed never to do another Jim Harris designed kit. I would suggest you need to be a very competent and experienced modeller to get it to look like the real thing, and be prepared to source other castings and scratchbuild some of the platework. Price? Not at any price for me.

Richard

G

Graham Powell

I have seen some of them made into quite nice models. There was an excellent Britannia in the Gazette but it would have taken a lot of extra work to build. My advice would be the same as the others. Leave it on eBay....
rgds
Graham Powell :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
Stick to decent kits, MOK, Finney, MMP, life is too short to waste time on rubbish kits. Also where is the pleasure from struggling with bad kits? As a GWR man you might enjoy the MOK Dean 4-4-0 due out soon.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
While I agree with everything you say, Cynric, I will also say that I learned a lot about what I could do from tacking Jim Harris's kits. I believe my skill set improved no end because I was determined to succeed with the kits, and it gave me the confidence that if I could do one of his kits, I could do anything. It's only having come out the other end, that I can take the stance 'never again'.

Richard

S

Simon Dunkley

Dikitriki said:
While I agree with everything you say, Cynric, I will also say that I learned a lot about what I could do from tacking Jim Harris's kits. I believe my skill set improved no end because I was determined to succeed with the kits, and it gave me the confidence that if I could do one of his kits, I could do anything. It's only having come out the other end, that I can take the stance 'never again'.
My father-in-law built the 1366, and made a really nice job of it, too.
But, it went in and out of the bin several times, and his comments about what it did for his modelling skills, and whether or not he would build something of Jim's, are exactly the same as yours, Richard.

bogusman

Western Thunderer
Well guys thanks for the advice on this kit, I think that I will stick with the Finney Bullied for now and try to get over my madness of the dark side from Ebay for now :) :) :) :)

Pete