A table-top train set.

From California to Cheltenham - or thereabouts.
  • jonte

Western Thunderer
    Why on Earth, you might think, have I dug up this long forgotten thread from yester-year?

Well it goes like this: A chap came round yesterday afternoon, to measure up my garage and ‘model room’ for new windows and doors. Amongst the clutter that made his job twice as long as it should have taken, was an old door that could loosely be described as a layout. “That can also go to the tip,” remarked the Boss as she agonised over choice of door, glass and frame colour.” And she was probably right-as per usual, though I’d never admit it to her face. Like many things in life, my enthusiasm wanes and I can no longer muster the interest, try as I may, to see things through to the bitter end. Whilst I rather enjoyed my brush with the dark side, visits to prototype and model forums became fewer and fewer, until eventually......put it this way, I can’t even remember the last time I did.

But the fact is that on the whole, my interest in model railways - or to be frank, toy trains - never ceases to diminish and I just can’t bring myself to throw away this eclectic collection of ‘excess-to-requirements’ materials of one form or another, that I cack-handedly melded into a train-set roundy that, believe it or not, actually works. Add to that, I’m not even sure (like the man who built a boat in his kitchen) that it will fit through the door. To say nothing of the excess weight bestowed on it by it’s over-engineering.

So what should I do with it?

No window (pun not intended) at present to even consider any modelling, but the summer break could be an opportunity. Yes, I’ve still got my station roof to finish, and that O gauge stuff to sort out, but the window simply ain’t long enough. At least trains would actually run on this, or at least OO gauge at any rate, enjoying the same gauge which it shares with HO. It would also provide an ideal opportunity to use up all those buildings and signals - including signal box - that lay dormant or two thirds finished for several millennia.

And the subject? Well British, of course, dictated by said paraphernalia, and definitely verdant due to its scant track layout, despite my preference for dark n dirty, deep in da smoke.

I think a joint-job by might work, GWR joint SR (SR because my signal box roof is hipped and the home made working signals are based on SR types, although displaying more Hornby Dublo proportions than MSE!).

The track dissecting the runaround loop could even be an old tram way, long out of use, guarded by some old crossing gates that I bashed some years back from the Peco type. And that old vivatium light can go to be replaced by something more suitable: L.E.Ds?

Sound like an idea?

But all those trees n grass.........now, where did I put GG’s book on modelling green stuff?

Jonte