A simple Gauge 1 garden line

S

Simon Dunkley

Not in Firefox, on my PC - they're the right way up.
Same here - from work.
Problem is on an iPad, using Safari. It probably relates to the pictures being in portrait rather than landscape orientation. Can't rotate the tablet, because the orientation sensor knows best, and rotates the whole screen.

Hohum.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Same here - from work.
Problem is on an iPad, using Safari. It probably relates to the pictures being in portrait rather than landscape orientation. Can't rotate the tablet, because the orientation sensor knows best, and rotates the whole screen.

Hohum.
I see what you mean on the iPad. Use of the side switch - which I choose to use as a rotation lock - will allow portrait viewing.
Edit - Just tried it with Chrome on the iPad - same problem.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Whilst browsing the Slaters stand at the 16mm Association bash yesterday I spotted a pack of these fence posts for 16mm scale:

Fence Posts.JPG

You get two sprues (20 posts in total) for just under £6, they are nicely made and tapered on all four sides. This afternoon has been spent chopping the top 40mm off, rounding the top of the post, then drilling and sleeving all of the holes to bring them from 2.1mm diameter to @ 1.1mm. The posts are 5mm or so square at the point at which I have cut them, a little oversize for a centre post of a fence run, but pretty close for an end post. Given they are going in the garden I'll live with chunky appearance, they don't look too bad when outside anyway

Fence Post Mock Up.JPG
Lengths of 1.6 mm brass rod have been let into the platform to provide anchor points for the posts, everything will eventually be glued in place once primed and painted. Looking at how the conifers are already hitting the posts I think 0.5mm wire is going to be required, anything thinner is not going to survive :)

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Slow week modelling wise, but have got the fence posts primed, painted white and glued into place. I'm off to buy some suitable wire at the local model shop in a minute, hoping to get that glued in and the posts weathered today...if it keeps raining that should be easy enough....

Platform mock up1.JPG

Its a bit difficult to tell, but the halt and platform face have had more stain added to create a bit more variation in colour (and to get rid of the odd bits of bare wood that peaked through on the platform face). They are a slightly better colour match now...the whole thing needs a name board now :)
Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Posts weathered

Weathered Fence Post.JPG

and wires chemically blackened, painted and strung

Posts and Wire.JPG

Looking at the wires in the sunshine, I think I'm going to have to tone them down a bit so they aren't quite so obvious - I'll try some thickish black/brown washes to see if they do the trick. Name wise, I think I'll just be unimaginative and call it Cold Harbour Halt, after all that is what it is based on :) I'm sure its possible to come up with some convoluted history as to why the line was truncated here, I'll worry about that another time. While I'm on the name thing, does anybody other than Slaters do Plastikard letters for making station name boards (6 to 9mm tall)? Slaters don't do the font/style I'm after so I'm hoping there is an alternative or recommended supplier to save me cutting out lots of letters...
Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
You have made a cracking job of weathering those posts Steve. I thought that they were 12" to the foot at first look.
Cheers Rob, was pleased with how they turned out today - tried a different technique for the first time so a bit of a surprise for me too. Need to use it again to prove it wasn't a fluke :oops:

Name........ Cook's Halt ???
It would certainly be easier than Cold Harbour Halt if I have to resort to cutting out individual letters :)

Steve

Simon

Flying Squad
Brilliant!

I've just been reading Tony Barfield's "When there was Steam" so your line looks a bit Wyre Forest-ish:thumbs:

Is it my imagination or have you managed to dull down the rail sides? They look rather good, especially in that last shot.

Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Those photos make me want to throw everrything out of the window. Any one know of any good knitting clubs?

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Cheers chaps, glad you like them :) The last one would have been better if I hadn't left the controller in shot just behind the mink..oops :oops:

Is it my imagination or have you managed to dull down the rail sides? They look rather good, especially in that last shot.
No further work on them since you ran here a year ago (blimey!), must be just the way the colour balance on the camera worked this morning. They have hint of rust, but it hasn't got any darker over the last couple of years and applying the rusting solution just cleans everything back up again. I'm going to do the same as you, paint the rails - its brilliant that the running surface stays clean enough for 2 rail operation, just a shame the sides stay that clean too...mind you, wouldn't want them both getting dirty either.

Those photos make me want to throw everything out of the window.
Open it first Graham :)) I know you're not serious (and its really a complement) but its difficult to know what to say after that, it is after all the the exact opposite emotion / thought that the post was supposed to create...

All the greenery has been subjected to a good hack today, running this morning showed that there was too much bush (height wise) in front of the tracks - getting an eye level view was ruined by half of the train disappearing from view. Its almost level with the track bed now and has been cut with a slight curve to the top rather than keep it flat. One of the trees between the line and fence has been chopped down too, it was starting to overhang the line.

Haircut.JPG

I'm wondering whether I can trim the large conifer back enough to create enough room for a telegraph pole run, it looks a bit tight in which case I may have to do a run that crosses the line and runs garden rather than fence side...something to mull over while getting on with the wood for the bench. Seems like good weather for varnishing so I really ought to stop playing and do something...:)

Coming into view.JPG

Steve

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I know you're not serious (and its really a complement) but its difficult to know what to say after that, it is after all the the exact opposite emotion / thought that the post was supposed to create...
OK - let me try again.

The photographs make me so envious that I want to rush into the jungle and get some LGB stuff running through the nettles and past the dustbins.

regards, Graham

Seriously, the impression which your railway presents is very nice and shows what can be done to provide a railway in the garden.