A Hornby standard 4mt in em.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Tonights session was only an hour. The De2 I am re vamping I decided to ditch the gibsons for some markits. I went with some deluxe crankpins to take up the slack given by the gibsons & after a bit of tweaking she's now running better than the video shown. This was the first run to check the new gearbox I fitted would work.

Tonights music comes from one of my favourite singers.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I had hoped to get a few hours in this week working on the 2 locos I've currently on the go. I've just not really had the time its been a busy week at work to say the least.
After doing the Saturday morning shift at work I wanted to have a session in the workshop. I've fitted all the sanding gear to the kitson & got it into primer & a first coat of paint. It'll be later next week before all the paintwork is on & ready for lining out.

In the meantime I have also got the DE2 finished. Its only taken 9 years, 2 sets of wheels, 2 motors & gearboxes & a crappy paint job to get it to this point.

20221022_163029.jpg
20221022_163039.jpg

The brake gear isn't perfect but the majority of the chassis was built when I had a lot less understanding of kit building & I missed things. I've done the best I can & once it's painted & weathered it'll hide the imperfections.

I've picked up a rattle can of yellow so I will give it a coat tomorrow or Monday. Its painting time now, however I have picked out another partially built loco that needs finishing. The high level rsh is in p4 & will need a total chassis rebuild as well as the all the valve gear finishing. I spotted a picture today of one in the team valley in ncb livery that I fancy finishing mine as or like at the very least.

Music has been great today in the workshop but this one stood out.

Si

simond

Western Thunderer
Is the blue car an Allegro estate? I seem to recall that they were voted the worst British car of all time.

My mum had a white saloon, which I spun and reversed through a hedge (happily without injury to anything other than the hedge) many moons ago. Hideous thing.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Is the blue car an Allegro estate? I seem to recall that they were voted the worst British car of all time.

My mum had a white saloon, which I spun and reversed through a hedge (happily without injury to anything other than the hedge) many moons ago. Hideous thing.
Looks like one of these.
All aggro estate

They were good for shifting layouts though.....

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer

Simon it is indeed.

One of my favourite cars, my grandma had a chocolate brown standard allegro called Little bess. It had shagpile seats & we used to go all over in it. My grandma loved it. Its the first car I can ever remember too. That blue estate version I would love to own a real one. I don't think my 6ft 8inch tall frame would fit in one though.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Whilst I'm not totally convinced by the shade of green chosen I'm rolling with it. Once weathered & varnished I'm hoping it'll knock it back a bit. I tried lining it this evening with disastrous results so I cleaned it back. I'm not good with a lining pen so I think mine will have to be plain. I've some railtec transfers coming to finish it off.

A bit bright & toy like at present but hopefully it should look acceptable once finished.
20221024_192835.jpg
20221024_192832.jpg

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
No, it looks about OK when they were clean - bottom picture here:

and here:

And this one is not too far off, though it's started to weather:

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
No, it looks about OK when they were clean - bottom picture here:

and here:

And this one is not too far off, though it's started to weather:

Those are great. Some photos I've not seen before especially one working at chopwell. I will keep at it & I'm hoping once the gloss has been knocked back it'll come good.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
A few transfers & a couple of touchs of paint here & there & the kitson is a changed loco.

20221025_210210.jpg20221025_210217.jpg

I had hoped that the railtec transfers I ordered might have arrived but the postal strike scuppered my plans. I'm very pleased with how it now looks. Its totally changed now a few transfers have been fitted & the wheels have some paint on.

Music tonight on the radio has been excellent as always & this belter came on ......

Si

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Simon, I'm enjoying this thread, thank you. The Kitson's a quirky and interesting loco. Re. the smokebox - looking at the photos provided by Daddyman, above, I'm inclined to think the top is black, like a GW pannier, but green on the front face?

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Simon, I'm enjoying this thread, thank you. The Kitson's a quirky and interesting loco. Re. the smokebox - looking at the photos provided by Daddyman, above, I'm inclined to think the top is black, like a GW pannier, but green on the front face?

Thanks Paul for the kind comments.

Regarding the top of the smokebox I'm not sure to be honest how it goes. I've looked at photos & I can't tell if it's soot & weathering or actual black paint. I've left it at present till I can figure it out for sure. My initial though was that due to the unsureity of black or green I was going to weather it so that it kind of took up the slack so it wouldn't be green but still not totally black.

I'm starting to notice subtle differences between each different loco I find in this livery too which doesn't help.

Si

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
41 and 42 at least both ended their days with full black fronts (tank fronts, smokebox front and smokebox door):

1666766400870.png

A photo on the NERA archive, which I can't share, shows an unidentified dismantled loco with wasp stripes on the smokebox/tank front, but not the sandboxes.

As for the smokebox top, this photo seems to show a black top, which after all is only logical.
1666766274864.png

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
41 and 42 at least both ended their days with full black fronts (tank fronts, smokebox front and smokebox door):

View attachment 173100

A photo on the NERA archive, which I can't share, shows an unidentified dismantled loco with wasp stripes on the smokebox/tank front, but not the sandboxes.

As for the smokebox top, this photo seems to show a black top, which after all is only logical.
View attachment 173099

Thanks daddyman, I'll add the missing blackwork this evening to the smokebox saddle. I am hoping to have some transfers behind the door today so I can give it some transfers to finish it off somewhat.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Well the transfers have finally arrived & I've got the first side of the loco done this evening. I finished at the club early to rectify a problematic crankpin & as I had a bit more time to hand I got the first side on.
I've been excited about the transfers coming because it always transforms a loco in my eyes.

20221027_215833.jpg20221027_215825.jpg20221027_215733.jpg

I'm really happy I rolled with the colour now, its not a million miles out from the prototype & it certainly looks the part.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I think the green is very good. What did you use in the end?

Thanks Daddyman,

I ended up using great northern loco green (lighter shade) for it from pheonix paints. It's a tin I had to hand & I thought it would work well. I think once varnished it'll really come to.

I'm going to use both shades of the gnr green when I paint my hunslet diesel as Norwood coke ovens no1. It should work really well as they are a close match.