7mm A Bristol L in 7mm

James

Western Thunderer
IMG_20240426_215325286.jpg

Something a bit different.

I used to do all sorts with buses but over the years less and less. I'm not sure why though.

IMG_20240426_215240958.jpg

Anyway my dad has a significant birthday coming up and one of his favourite buses is the ECW bodied Bristol L. He's a life long bus and trolleybus enthusiast, as well as railways, and has written various books on Hull's trans, trolleybuses and buses.

s-l1200.jpg

His love of these Bristol vehicles came from childhood holidays in Scarborough, his uncle had a pub in Scalby (pronounced "Score-by"). Since buses in 7mm are rare, virtually all diecast buses are 1/50 scale, the Scalelink kit for the Bristol L has a certain appeal, especially for a special birthday.

It's like older resin kits I've experienced - a bit rough around the edges as it comes but hopefully a decent basis for a model.

daifly

Western Thunderer
James
Will you be building it for him? If so, please post progress - I have one in the stash!
Dave

djparkins

Western Thunderer
View attachment 214947

Something a bit different.

I used to do all sorts with buses but over the years less and less. I'm not sure why though.

View attachment 214948

Anyway my dad has a significant birthday coming up and one of his favourite buses is the ECW bodied Bristol L. He's a life long bus and trolleybus enthusiast, as well as railways, and has written various books on Hull's trans, trolleybuses and buses.

View attachment 214949

His love of these Bristol vehicles came from childhood holidays in Scarborough, his uncle had a pub in Scalby (pronounced "Score-by"). Since buses in 7mm are rare, virtually all diecast buses are 1/50 scale, the Scalelink kit for the Bristol L has a certain appeal, especially for a special birthday.

It's like older resin kits I've experienced - a bit rough around the edges as it comes but hopefully a decent basis for a model.
Best of luck with the kit James. I got one a few years back but I’m afraid l returned mine for a refund. So it will be interesting to follow any build you undertake. You are a braver man than l!

I was able to get a really close look at one of these buses in use on a shuttle service between last year’s Bala Model Railway show and the Bala Lake Railway. It cries out for etched sides with nickel silver upper window framing in my opinion. But that’s probably a minority view!

David

robertm

Best of luck with the kit James. I got one a few years back but I’m afraid l returned mine for a refund. So it will be interesting to follow any build you undertake. You are a braver man than l!

I was able to get a really close look at one of these buses in use on a shuttle service between last year’s Bala Model Railway show and the Bala Lake Railway. It cries out for etched sides with nickel silver upper window framing in my opinion. But that’s probably a minority view!

David
Well I persevered with mine, driven by the need for a bus on the layout. It was very rough and ready, poor fitting and warped. Put me off resin for life.
Good Luck
Bob
ps still not finished as I’ve lost interest in it.IMG_1464.jpeg

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Well I persevered with mine, driven by the need for a bus on the layout. It was very rough and ready, poor fitting and warped. Put me off resin for life.
Good Luck
Bob
ps still not finished as I’ve lost interest in it.View attachment 214964

Bob -

That all sounds like a good description of the kit - but please don't let it put you off resin for life. Some resin kits are very different!

robertm

Hi,
Not sure what a deuce and a half is (2 1/2 tonner perhaps), it is a Studebaker US6 and yes loaded with sugar beet. I remember the truck well, always driven by a lady complete with beret.
Both truck and driver are certainly memories by now.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
US6’s cousin GMC was nicknamed that - yes, after its rated load. Not that 8 or 10 tons of beet bothered them much…..

A friend still occasionally carts corn off his combine with a WW2 Studebaker 6x4!

Last edited:

James

Western Thunderer
IMG_20240507_215341092.jpg
Rough and ready is a pretty good description of the kit! Even the resin used isn't nice, it's not pleasant to work with. It feels like a very old fashioned resin kit. Everything is resin (window vents aside) and I think things like wing mirrors simply aren't suitable for this material. The nicest thing is the etch for the window vents - this aside, it's very poor and not value for money.

In 4mm companies like Citibus show how nice resin models can be.

IMG_20240507_215359818.jpg

Nothing is particularly straight or square, hopefully I think I can rectify this but removing flash and the surplus 'side skirts' was the first task.

An 1/8" drill is a perfect match for the radius of window corners then the fun of joining the holes. The block of wood is to support the body during cutting.

IMG_20240508_204911455.jpg

I found a cut down junior hacksaw blade was handy too.

IMG_20240508_210319972.jpg

With the windows cleared I had at least a little bit of hope!

Last edited:

James

Western Thunderer

Brave or foolish?!

I can completely understand why you sent yours back.

It cries out for etched sides with nickel silver upper window framing in my opinion. But that’s probably a minority view!

How about something along the lines of the old Brackenborough kits but with a 3D printed core and etched sides?

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Brave or foolish?!

I can completely understand why you sent yours back.

How about something along the lines of the old Brackenborough kits but with a 3D printed core and etched sides?

Yes I used to really like the Brackenborough kits, but the ones I had were cast metal, as I recall - with etched side inlays. I built a few for customers - mid-late 1970s possibly. But really I think quality resin and etched brass/nickel silver is the way to go for buses and coaches, with the small fiitings in metal.

With the curved roof on your kit - have you thought about giving it the boiled water immersion treatment?

DJP

James

Western Thunderer
Yes I used to really like the Brackenborough kits, but the ones I had were cast metal, as I recall - with etched side inlays. I built a few for customers - mid-late 1970s possibly. But really I think quality resin and etched brass/nickel silver is the way to go for buses and coaches, with the small fiitings in metal.

With the curved roof on your kit - have you thought about giving it the boiled water immersion treatment?

DJP
I bought a Brackenborough Bristol L for £9 via eBay recently - I'll build it for my son's layout. The clear printed sides are still very effective.

Various parts will need the boiling water treatment! The body, roof and cab all need attention in this regard.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
I bought a Brackenborough Bristol L for £9 via eBay recently - I'll build it for my son's layout. The clear printed sides are still very effective.

Various parts will need the boiling water treatment! The body, roof and cab all need attention in this regard.

Yes I remember the printed sides, and they were OK in 4mm, as you say. But I also recall bus kits I built with etched sides - maybe they weren't Brackenborough. It's a long way back now. They were more expensive than the kits with printed sides, obviouslty.

My father udsed to stock them in his model shop. They didn't last long on the market - like most of the kits I liked back then, such as Colin Waite and Metalmodels rolling stock kits. Perhaps me buying the kits jinxed them!

James

Western Thunderer
Yes I remember the printed sides, and they were OK in 4mm, as you say. But I also recall bus kits I built with etched sides - maybe they weren't Brackenborough. It's a long way back now. They were more expensive than the kits with printed sides, obviouslty.

My father udsed to stock them in his model shop. They didn't last long on the market - like most of the kits I liked back then, such as Colin Waite and Metalmodels rolling stock kits. Perhaps me buying the kits jinxed them!
Pirate Models used etched sides in a number of kits and the results were very effective.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
While producing railway coaches, I looked into the idea of producing bus kits with etched sides, and made several scale drawings of pre-war Leyland, Roe and English Electric bodies. I actually cast all the radiators, front wings and a roof in whitemetal, but backed off having etched done because I thought bus enthusiast preferred rtr.

I too like the Bristol L/ECW combination. They were still standard fare when I moved to North Wales.

daifly

Western Thunderer
I think it was someone by the name of J.G. Francis trading as Wistow Models who produced a range of etched brass/cast metal period bus kits. I see from my list that I have several in the stash!
Dave

edited to correct autocorrect!

Last edited:

djparkins

Western Thunderer
I think it was someone by the name of J.G. Francis trading as Wistow Models who produced orange of etched brass/cast metal period bus kits. I see from my list that I have several in the stash!
Dave
That rings a bell Dave. Or the bell could be an approaching bus stop!

adrian

Flying Squad
I think it was someone by the name of J.G. Francis trading as Wistow Models who produced orange of etched brass/cast metal period bus kits. I see from my list that I have several in the stash!
Dave
I thought we were talking about road vehicles not fruit!

[ sorry Dave - I just couldn't resist knowing your penchant and style for correcting posts! :p ]

daifly

Western Thunderer
Just found his list from his 'closing down' phase end-2014

Wistow c2014.jpeg

He also produced a 1912 McCurd single decker and a 1942 Bedford OWB utility-bodied single decker.

Mercian also produced an etched brass/whitemetal BMMO double decker. I sold my kit to the late Paul Ashton.

Dave
p.s. checked for spelling errors!