A Blast From The Past

Arty

Western Thunderer
Some time ago, Jim at Connoisseur Models mentioned to me he had, somewhere, a 10mm G1 etch for a BR 02. This was supplied by a pre Oakville Models Jim Harris.

Jim sent them to me and appeared up a few weeks ago.

G1 02.jpg

I had built one of these up many years ago, no chassis, but not a difficult one to cobble together. If I remember correctly it had a “working” radiator fan.

I suspect the origins were from Don Davidson of DA Models, one of the many flatpacks Jim Harris used to sell but maybe modified/upgraded slightly by Jim.
No castings, but other than buffers, air reservoir, brakes and a bit of cab detailing, not much else to find.Walsall Model Industries can machine some suitable castings (10 instead of 12 spokes) to 10mm fine standards.

Strangely, a week later, I came across the smaller version in 7mm, this time a complete kit. This was marketed as a Little Jem “Harris Kits” it had been upgraded again with a n/s chassis and all w/m castings – and a set of instructions !

GO 02 3.jpg
GO 02 4.jpg

Slater’s do a suitable 3’6” drivers, although again 10 spoke.

Do I want an 02 in both 7mm and 10mm, or maybe put the G1 etchings on the copier and do a G3 version ?

Richard

demu1037

Western Thunderer
Strangely, a week later, I came across the smaller version in 7mm, this time a complete kit. This was marketed as a Little Jem “Harris Kits” it had been upgraded again with a n/s chassis and all w/m castings – and a set of instructions !

View attachment 43554
View attachment 43555

Richard

Hi Richard,

Here's one I did earlier.....

02 D2856 - (29)July 1990.jpg

About 25 years!!

At the time not bad a model for the budget price, but has it really been that long ago?

Mr '18 weeks' Andy

Arty

Western Thunderer
I was looking in the instructions for a date, but found nothing - so about 1990 then.

In which case the G1 version I made must have been mid 80s.

That's a very nice 02, I like the many handrails, especially the "staircase" at the cab rear - you've ignited my enthusiasm even more.

Richard