4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Space is tight at Llanfair and so the goods shed floor space was doubled to accommodate animal feed in addition to general merchandise. Rail loading/unloading is external, the idea coming from Llanfyllin. The extended floor is on breeze block supports....

WEB Llanfair shed 1.jpg

Hole cut into side wall. The end doors remain functional for additional ventilation in hot weather and could be used for end-loading...
WEB Llanfair shed 2.jpg

Corrugated canopy supported on angle frame. I ran out of daylight, so the job will continue tomorrow.....
WEB Llanfair shed 3.jpg

EDIT 2/11/23 :: After placing the shed on the layout, a small platform was added to the loading bay...
WEB Llanfair shed 4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The above goods shed didn't work out for me so I built a replacement. Lost count of how many I've done now...
WEB 4mm Goods shed 3.jpg

Built with window walls but no roof lights. Not a lot is happening outside on the layout, which is pretty much par for the course at this time of year.
WEB 4mm Goods shed 4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I ordered a lasercut signalbox kit based on Helston to give me something to do indoors. For guttering, a length of Evergreen 080" channel was glued to the edge of a sheet of 60thou Plastikard. When dry, it was cut from the sheet 2.5mm wide as shown....

WEB 4mm signalbox 1.jpg

It was then glued to the signalbox wall just below the roof...
WEB 4mm signalbox 2.jpg

Drainpipes were bent from brass rod and attached with split pins + Loctite instant glue....
WEB 4mm signalbox 3 .jpg

'Tother end.....
WEB 4mm signalbox 4.jpg

As usual, I built the roof to be removable. The steps, windows and doors will be sprayed separately for ease of painting...WEB 4mm signalbox 5.jpg
The chimney breast is not fixed and will be fitted after painting. The chimney came from a scrapped signalbox....
WEB 4mm Signalbox 6.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
No secret handshake required haha. I think it is just that a good few of us saw the entry of Laser cut building kits into the hobby as almost a hobby in itself. :drool:

Easy masking when some parts are left as separate items...
WEB 4mm signal box 7.jpg
Matt black + white primer decamped into spraygun to make a dirty black roof colour...
WEB 4mm signal box 8.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have completed the brickwork first so that the whole building could be lightly sprayed over with Halfords matt varnish. Diluited dirty black was also added on top of the plinth brickwork and under drainpipes etc "Western Region brown" (one of many!) will be dead matt enamel...
WEB 4mm signal box 9A.jpg
Matt brown parts painted...
WEB 4mm signal box 9B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The new signal box is pretty well finished now. After fitting an interior, I found the roof had bowed over the past few days and so I rook a roof from a scrap signal box and made a new roof over the toilet....

WEB 4mm signal box 10A.jpg
I recommend ensuring the windows are a loose fit in the apertures to allow for the thickness of paint. All the box needs now is a nameboard...

WEB 4mm signal box 10B.jpgWEB 4mm signal box 10C.jpg
The signal man can be seen...
WEB 4mm signal box 10D.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I picked the signalbox up this morning and the stairs completely disintegrated and it brought to mind the bad old days of cast whitemetal vac pipes, whistles and even coupling rods. With laser cut kits, it seems we are back to the days of one material suits all and it is asking a lot of unsupported 1mm square MBF to act as banisters etc. Plywood would have been a bit stronger. I am busy this morning trying to patch up the damage, but I think it's time to look for a new way of passing time.

WEB 4mm signal box 11.jpg
WEB 4mm signal box 11B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Been providing the layout with a goods yard store for animal feeds utilising a Wills SS63 plastic kit, but I left off the bargeboards...WEB 4mm Provender 1.jpg

Much diluted PPC P990 'Weathered Wood' used for general weathering...
WEB 4mm provender 2.jpg

In the end I settled for GWR dark stone with brown gutters for paintwork, and very dirty light stone for the walls...
WEB 4mm provender 3.jpg
This photo was taken with daylight flash. It records a truer rendition of the indeterminate colour of the walls...
WEB 4mm provender 4.jpg

Last edited: