mickoo

Western Thunderer
I made a 4mm roundy roundy for my boy, hinged at the wall and folded up in the spare room, it was simple with green wood as grass a simple cardboard station, dual tracks and high level run at rear. As with most kids he wandered off to computer games and one day I decided when he was about 12 to take it down and convert the room for the eldest daughter to use. Well he sobbed and sobbed when he found out, even though he rarely used it, he loved it....far more than I ever realised.

Moral of the story, take every moment and cherish it and never underestimate the father son bond...often well hidden and only exposed when lost or diminished.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Nice little layout Jordan.:thumbs:

Plenty to keep your lad interested with passing trains, shunting etc.
Will he be helping with the scenery etc?. You will get a lot of enjoyment teaching him about how to do scenery plus your both enjoying "playing trains " together.;)

Rob:)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
great idea Jordan, get 'em interested and keep 'em interested. I have a sneaky feeling that soon I shall be treading a similar path for my grandson -- 18 months old at the moment, so plenty of time to sort out the track plan - and gauge/scale:)):thumbs:

Best of luck with the project.

cheers

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments above. I get my love of railway modelling from my dad but bizarrely he had dismantled and sold/had stolen during a break in almost all of his 00 gauge stuff when I was very young. So I never actually saw what he modelled I only shared in his enthusiasm when he described his layout and what he might like to do in the future (but in the event never did).

By the time that I got back into railway modelling, having had an N gauge layout in my teens before life intervened, meant that it had passed my son by completely and he will never be interested (except as a source of ribbing his old man:) ).

Simon

Flying Squad
Looks great Jordan, good track plan and concept and your boy involved too - a wonderful combination.

I'm like you in that I've no idea where my train obsession came from, certainly not my parents.

Funnily enough the Marshcastle mess has come back to life since last night, necessary therapy after a day of reminding myself of just how hard it is to keep the water inside the pipes when doing plumbing type bodgelling:rolleyes:

And tonight Harry sat down at the controls and ran a few trains around, I re-soldered a failed joint which brought the goods yard back into commission and have tonight mostly been shunting carriages:)

Here we see driver Harry accelerating out of Rowley New Street towards the great abyss - strange tail load he chose for a Class 108 and I think the yacht must have been blown inland by those recent storms:p

Stormy.jpg

Have fun!

Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
...I originally titled this Thread as my lad's new 'train set'.... it didn't get a single view in it's first hour or so on the Forum.
Come on Jordan, the topic started at 22/47 on a Saturday night when all right-minded peeps are watching Gary and Alan spouting about how to kick a ball... and that program ran until 00.00 on that night.

Footie or trainset layout? Tough question that one ;) .

adrian

Flying Squad
Come on Jordan, the topic started at 22/47 on a Saturday night when all right-minded peeps are watching Gary and Alan spouting about how to kick a ball... and that program ran until 00.00 on that night.

Footie or trainset layout? Tough question that one ;) .

Sorry but you're talking a foreign language there - no idea who these Gary and Alan people you refer to are, so there is no tough question to answer.
However for right minded people if you referred to Hall and Sinfield that might be different as we were at Huddersfield on Saturday watching England trounce Ireland 42-0. Or mention Trott, James or Mould - that was us again at the Velodrome cheering on Laura Trott on to victory in the Omnium.

Anyway back to more important matters - just planning a small layout for "my lad's" new train set - again a reduction in scale but in my case down to 00 gauge. I may post a few details later but in the mean time I'll be interested to see how this one progresses.

Western Thunderer
I'm not getting involved with the conversation about football & egg chasers !! :D.

Great to see your lad involved, Jordan. His face when you/ he bought the Thomas O gauge bits at Telford, were priceless. Shame you had to take back. My lad loves them, due to the fact i'm into them & his grandad before that. :)

Really enjoying this thread,

Steve :cool:

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
I built a 4' x 2'6" N gauge layout a few years back; it was being built for someone else who then changed their mind so I ended up with it for a while.
I did enjoy running it and found it quite relaxing to watch but the reason for selling rather than keeping was that the layout was indeed a train set with two loops and a couple of sidings rather than something that had operational interest with the bonus of a loop too.

Although I had no intentions of going back to N, a small portable US layout does seem attractive and probably preferable for sociable downstairs running in the winter.

Plenty of scope for interesting scenics even in a small space with N.