16mm Association Show Report 2013 rolling into 2014

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Spent a very pleasant day at the East of England Showground, Peterborough for the 16mm Associations National Show today. The only issue was the heavy rain shower which lasted the exact amount of time it took to run from the car to the ticket booth, arrival and parking was easy, the place was well signposted and the stewards were helpful and good humored...at least the shower was short for them :)
The main theme this year was a celebration of 150 years since the introduction of steam power to the Ffestiniog Railway and to bolster that fact, the show played host to Mountaineer (this years full size loco), Topsy (the first narrow gauge garden railway live steam loco) and a collection of 16mm scale George England style locos.

Its difficult not to be impressed by the fact that full size locos appear at the show and Mountaineer was no exception. I got lucky early in the day and managed to get a shot without anybody walking through the photo :)

Mountaineer.JPG

I didn't get so lucky with Chaloner, hence no photo.
If I'm honest about it, Topsy was the primary reason for turning up at the show and was worth the entrance fee and round trip on her own. She was built in 1869 to a scale of about 1 in 7 and loosely based on the George England locos operating on the line - there is a bit more information on the 16mm Association website http://nationalgardenrailwayshow.org.uk/2013/loco/default.html Despite the fact that she is not in her original condition, I thought she looked superb:

Topsy1.JPG

Topsy4.JPG

Topsy3.JPG

Topsy2.JPG
Apologies for the lack of spaces between photos, for some reason 'return' has stopped working for this post :headbang: Anyway, whilst you are admiring the delicacy of the work that went into shaping the slidebars in the photo above, spare a quick look at the chairs and the track - not only are the chairs cast, but they use separate wooden chairs to fix the double headed rail, just as the prototype...how cool is that :D Even better is the fact that the original portable track survives and is full of pointwork etc built to the same standard...I really do hope that it will all be assembled one day. Size wise, the track gauge is 3 1/8" whilst Topsy is 1' 10 1/4" long (without tender), 6 13/16" wide and tips the scales at around 60lbs...puts my current 16mm loco into perspective....

Edited to add: Apparently, posting the thread sorts out the missing spaces and makes my 'return' work again - I've tidied up and will start another post for the George England Loco display....

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
The George England collection was pretty impressive, taking in the work of a variety of builders and covering all of the England Locos used on the line. I'm afraid I do not know who owns what so will just post a selection of shots from the display:

England Locos1.JPG

England Locos2.JPG

England Locos3.JPG

England Locos4.JPG

A couple of Archangel 'Bricks' joined the party, unsuspectingly I find myself attracted to their charms
Brick1.JPG

Brick2.JPG

On the other side of the display tables was a selection of heritage things, locos, adverts and books. The Archangel stuff was of particular interest as I used to live at the other end of Cock Lane...if I only I knew then (and was about 15 years older :) )

Advert1.JPG

Advert2.JPG
Had a flick through this book, then took a photo of it to help me search for it when I got home

Book.JPG

Walked around the corner and found a copy at one of the book sellers, result :thumbs:
Next up, more photos....

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Two of the many locos that caught my eye on the heritage stand:

Glyn.JPG

Taliesin.JPG

In terms of the rest of the show, it was possible to find everything from small (scratchbuilt Simplex G series)

Little Simplex G series.jpg

to large (Garrett, wibble....)

Large Garrett.JPG

an excellent weathered paint finish

Paint Cracking.jpg

to no paint at all

Tidy.JPG

And as a final shot, here is the cab of the prototype TME Countess / Earl loco that has done @300 hours of running

TME Earl Cab.JPG

Mental, but in a very good way :)

10 out of 10 for all of the organisers and helpers, a top day out :thumbs:
I managed some retail therapy for current and future projects, met up and spent a large part of the day with Arty, saw some other friends I hadn't seen for a while and managed to come back all enthused.
Looking forward to next year already :D

Steve

PS - Simon - I counted six book sellers in all....

Arty

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

The catering was very good as well.

Excellent show - got me all enthused over my garden again, too many nice things to buy, and did succumb to a Brandbright laser cut coach kit as if I have nothing else to finish.
Some very tempting 7/8 locos and stock..............

I've already been out in the garden looking to find the best route for some 32mm permanent way to complement the 45mm.

Richard

taliesin

Western Thunderer
A bit late to post this, this years show is on this Saturday, 12th April 2014. The same venue, Peterborough Showground, admission from 10am, cheers Rob

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Thought you were going to Bakewell Steve? Better tarts than what's available in Peterborough, so I am told. Hope to see you though, Hopefully see you as well Christopher, cheers Rob

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
....Hopefully see you as well Christopher, cheers Rob
:thumbs:
I'll find you around 'Anglia Roads' at some point Rob.

Currently sorting out my shopping list... I need lots of little bits from different places so I need to write it all down so that I don't:
a) Forget anything.
or more likely....
b) Get distracted by something shiny that goes chuff and blow lots of pennies on something that I probably don't need :rolleyes:

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thought you were going to Bakewell Steve? Better tarts than what's available in Peterborough, so I am told.
That was the original plan Rob, but as there is a G1 bash at Shepshed in June, Arty and I decided that the 16mm show was a good choice for this weekend as we try and goad each other into buying stuff :)

As for keeping an eye out for ladies, Alice is looking pretty tidy these days ;)

Hope to see you though, Hopefully see you as well Christopher, cheers Rob

How about meeting up somewhere round the aforementioned lady, say 13:00?

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I'll find you around 'Anglia Roads' at some point Rob.

I'll get Rob to point you out then Christopher :)
or more likely....
b) Get distracted by something shiny that goes chuff and blow lots of pennies on something that I probably don't need
Stay away from me and Arty then, we like to encourage that sort of behaviour :D
Speaking of shiny things that go chuff, have you fired up your Lady Anne now you have a garden line?
Steve

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
I'll get Rob to point you out then Christopher :)

Stay away from me and Arty then, we like to encourage that sort of behaviour :D
Speaking of shiny things that go chuff, have you fired up your Lady Anne now you have a garden line?
Steve

Not yet Steve... whilst I know she will cope with the R1s I'm thinking it would go and look better on a larger oval and have been planning a R2/R3 ovalt over the last few days so I'm thinking that after a shot of inspiration tomorrow and hopefully a fine long weekend next week my little line could well see some changes :)

I've even dug my long dismantled Mamod loco out and thoughts turn to a sympathetic rebuild of the little Dragon as next year I will have owned it 30 years and getting it back into working order would be a fitting tribute :)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Not yet Steve... whilst I know she will cope with the R1s I'm thinking it would go and look better on a larger oval and have been planning a R2/R3 ovalt over the last few days so I'm thinking that after a shot of inspiration tomorrow and hopefully a fine long weekend next week my little line could well see some changes :)
The weather is looking good for some track work on Sunday Christopher, we can look forward to seeing photos of your line gradually taking over your garden then... :)
I've even dug my long dismantled Mamod loco out and thoughts turn to a sympathetic rebuild of the little Dragon as next year I will have owned it 30 years and getting it back into working order would be a fitting tribute :)

Excellent little project, are they actually as uncontrollable as their reputation states? :)
Steve

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
The weather is looking good for some track work on Sunday Christopher, we can look forward to seeing photos of your line gradually taking over your garden then... :)

I hope so :thumbs:

Excellent little project, are they actually as uncontrollable as their reputation states? :)
Steve
I never found the running to be as 'hit and miss' as many have often stated although perhaps I was lucky and bought a good one.
Whilst a good route into 16mm ish live steam you could and still can spend silly money on them or the MSS successor which may be money better spent on a Jane or a Regner if you like oscillators, or even a Roundhouse Basic series or an Accucraft loco.
The only mods I ever carried on my one was fitting a Shirley safety valve slightly improving the working pressure and eliminating the perpetual dribble the original was subject to and cleaning out excess the solder in the reversing block as described in an article by the Great Peter Jones many years ago.... it was even still running on solid fuel tablets when I dismantled it.
I ran it so much that the wheels went wobbly on their axles so I gently peined the ends of the axles to tighten them up and ran it 'till they went wobbly again. After a little tinkering I could get mine to run very slowly on my modest oval of Mamod track with just two open wagons in tow.
Despite what I said about potentially spending lots of pennies improving one I quite fancy buying the modern day version of the original Mamod which is an MSS loco kit as at £175 it sounds like a good value fun building a little steam beastie which can then be 'tinkered with' without worrying about spoiling something you have spent hundreds or even thousands on.

I already have new steel wheels, a lubricator and a meths burner in stock so reckon that with a few service parts and new coupling rods I could probably rebuild her without going over the top and losing too much of the original character which I don't want to do.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
It was a good day out today :)
I managed to occupy myself from doors open to doors closed, spending most of the day with Arty, meeting up with CJD for the first time and finding time to talk to Rob and Mike W.

Alice looked a picture alongside Ivo's Bentley

Alice and Bentley.JPG

Cliff Barker has thrown his hat track into the 16mm ring with new moulds modelled on Penrhyn chairs and sleepers. It uses the Gauge 1 code 180 rail in brass, nickel silver or stainless. I bought some sleeper units and have some left over rail so I can make a couple of lengths up and see how it compares effort wise to the G1 stuff.

CB new track.JPG

Arty proved adept at goading and encouragement, but I'm pleased to say I did return the favour. We both came back with raw materials for projects not yet thought of as well as some bits for current flights of fancy. The highlights are a Swift Sixteen etched tram body kit to go over my Ragleth chassis (hopefully, it is going to be a tight fit) and a body and chassis kit from Roundhouse - my dream of a 7/8ths scale Waril is one step closer :)

Projects and Materials.JPG

Steve

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Was a very good day out and equally good to meet up :thumbs:

I resisted all temptation and at the end of the show came away empty-handed...

I'd already loaded the loot into the car earlier before going back in for another nosey :D

I did take a list and came back with almost everything on it and a few other items that were mused rather than planned but I very much went with the 'see how I feel on the day' attitude and I enjoyed my day and came back with a few extras.

Finally Mr Slater's wants to thank Rob on my behalf for freeing the funds to allow me to buy a couple of hudson skips :rolleyes:

taliesin

Western Thunderer
It was good to meet up with everyone, made one sensible purchase :), and one silly purchase :(, an early Aster Japanese engine which i really don't know why i bought it but there goes.....
Hmmm, Slater's, i must admit waving to David Smith at a distance but did not go to the stall as i might just have said something about milk tankers and i didn't want to spoil their day.
It was as ever a really good show and the 16mm Association certainly go out of their way to make it so. My 9F got an hour in due to the slot straight after me remaining vacant so any winter cobwebs were certainly blown away.
Altogether a grand day out, cheers Rob

Mike W

Western Thunderer
We took our trade stand WilliamsModels to Peterborough again this year, even though its narrow gauge and we only make standard gauge (G3). This is the best organised show we attend and really is run like clockwork. No queues for traders to get in, take your car right into the hall and park beside the stand to unload so no trolley needed, park just outside, huge circulating spaces, etc etc. The 16mm Association really got it spot on.

And lots of people to chat to about everything you can think of!

Mike

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
The Tram kit is absolutely stunning!

Something I could definitely be tempted by in the future! Love to see the build as it happens...

JB.