16BA nuts

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Phil Atkinson at Hobby Holidays has 16BA nuts in stock at £5 for 10.

However, I have just received some and they are too big. Although tapped 16BA they are 0.52mm bigger than the existing 16BA nuts I have. Phil's are 1.97mm across the flats and my 16BA, 1.45mm. At 1.97mm across, they come between 12BA and 14BA.

It does say on the website they are 2mm across the flats and this muggins did not see it! 16BA nuts being like hens' teeth, I plunged straight in.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
I bought some M1 nuts a couple of years ago but found them to be too large. I will look again. Thank you.

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
I used to get them from Clerkenwell Screws, unfortunately they don't appear to have an internet presence, so perhaps worth a phone call on Monday? I was going to suggest BA-Bolts but I see they are out of stock. I have some, just exactly how many do you need?

Last edited:

DavidB

Western Thunderer
I used to get them from Clerkenwell Screws, unfortunately they don't appear to have an internet presence, so perhaps worth a phone call on Monday? I was going to suggest BA-Bolts but I see they are out of stock. I have some, just exactly how many do you need?
Thanks for the offer, Stephen, but I have got it sorted now.

victorianman

Western Thunderer
There used to be a supplier of nuts etc. in the Retford area called 'Items Mail Order', but no idea if they still operate.

markjj

Western Thunderer
I gave up using 16BA nuts and bolts last year as no one seems to stock them anymore. After contacting one supplier who said they would happily supply me with them minimum order of 10000 pieces lol. It's no wonder no one has any in stock now.
The metric ones from Prime are good but there are plenty of other suppliers of metric ones around.
I managed to pick up some M0.8 and M1.0 taps on Ebay to go with the metric bolts when needed.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
None of my usual sources have any, I think the problem is that 1/16" hex bar is no longer manufactured although 1.5mm AF is as near as odds the same size. I suspect that outwith obscure railway models the demand is almost non-existent.
Martin

polybear

I spoke to Squires today - they are OOS of 16ba nuts and the owner is having great difficulty finding a supplier that can make them at a sensible price.