Yorky D's Küchentisch - North Eastern - Boing! said the pantograph...

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
This is looking excellent! As my friend Doug says, Fleischmann track looks really good when it is weathered and of course, is literally bulletproof!

Thanks John. The Profi gleis save a lot of messy ballasting :).

I have an idea for a slightly larger layout using the ballasted Rocoline track (not to be confused with their Geoline track) where the point motors clip into the roadbed - simialr to the Märklin/Trix C-gleis.

DB Br 290 (V90)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
No sooner had I acquired this Roco HO DB Br 290 (V90) earlier this week.....

Neu 1.jpg

It didn't last long in it's current state :) ...........

Some work was done around the both ends to make the base of the light boxes more prototypical at the base and the hand rails and stanchions were replaced with 0.45mm brass wire.

V90 04.jpg

One of the modified ends painted.

V90 06.jpg

Off came the moulded cab handrails and replaced with brass 0.45mm wire. The moulding windscreen wipers were carved off the glazing, remaining marks polished out and replaced with etched brass windscreen wipers.

V90 05.jpg

The DB Keks was replaced with DBAG...... and of course weathered.

V90 02.jpg

However I'm toying with replacing the head and tail lights with SML (surface mounted LEDs) which allows me to remove the chunky light guides behind the buffer beams. And replace the wheels to remove the traction tyres.

DB Br 290 (V90)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
A bit more work today.

Soldered up some new cab steps from 1mm brass angle, 0.45mm brass wire for the locating pegs and scrap etch for the steps. These replace the chunky Roco steps clipped to the bogies. Roco on the left and my replacement on the right. One has already fitted.

V90 07.jpg

Locating holes were drilled into the chassis. Here is the loco on a Fleischmann Profi gleis 647mm radius curve.

V90 08.jpg

And on a Fleischmann Profi gleis point. Just need to fill the original step loating holes in the bogie sandboxes.

V90 09.jpg

While I was looking for other photographs I came across these in my collection. I was in Germany during the late 1990s visiting Nürnberg RBf (Rangierbahnhof).

This one had just pushed a van over the hump.

Nürnberg 01.jpg

And this one was parked up at the Ringlokschuppen - which provided me with cab step details.

Nürnberg.jpg

Nürnberg 05.jpg

Nürnberg 04.jpg

And another had arrived shunting a short train over the turntable.

Nürnberg 03.jpg

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,
Lovely work on those steps, it makes a big difference.
Just in case you might need a top down view of a 296, here you go! Sorry I don’t have any pictures of a 290.
Sadly, this is an apparently unrepeatable picture as it was taken from the public bridge over Maschen yard, which has been closed for some time now.
It’s probably too different a loco to be of use to you though, sorry.
John

michael080

Western Thunderer
Just in case you might need a top down view of a 296, here you go! Sorry I don’t have any pictures of a 290.
Sadly, this is an apparently unrepeatable picture as it was taken from the public bridge over Maschen yard, which has been closed for some time now.

Dave, John,

I caught one at the Kornwestheim yard.

IMG_8398_sml.JPG

Sorry for the cut off buffers on the left side. And note the supply of mineral water :D Healthy enginemen...
Looks like the handrails were added for the yard work. Whenever they push back to pick up the next wagons, they have several shunters on board.

Michael

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I know little of the railways outside the UK but these two locos bear a passing resemblance to the 290. Taken in 2010 on a river cruise down the Saone and Rhone starting at Chalon sur Saone.

IMG_7571.JPG

IMG_7572.JPG

Further digging will remind me where I took these but they were outside a substantial manufactory seen with what may have been a works shunter below. This was quite early on the trip so we were almost certainly still on the Saone.

IMG_7567.JPG

Brian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Lovely work on those steps, it makes a big difference.

I caught one at the Kornwestheim yard.

Thanks @allegheny1600 and @michl080 (John and Michael). Top down photos are always useful. I have also found these two websites which I have referred to on more than one occasion.

loks-aus-kiel.de - Home for both Br 212 (V100) and Br 290 (V90).

And this one for the Br 290 188-2 as it is in th batch built by Deutz. rangierdiesel.de - Startseite Which is linked with the website above.

Both of them have excellent individual locomotive works record data showing the REV (revision) date i.e. level of work which took place together with livery and ownership changes.

For the Roco model 290 188-2 this is the data in the records - it tells me the builder, build date, livery, ownership changes and which works carried out the level of work/revision (REV) undertaken rangierdiesel.de - Portrait Deutz 58358

There were different builders of the Br 212 and Br 290 locomotives namely MaK, Deutz, Henschel and Jung. I'm having to check the Br 290 as some had two radiator fans (as depicted on the Märklin/Trix model) rather than one radiator fan (Roco) :rant:- of which mine may require renumbering.

As for my model Br 290 I'll be sourcing sprung Elefantenfüße gewölbt puffer (arched elephant feet buffers) from Weinert plus other parts for the Br 212.

I know little of the railways outside the UK but these two locos bear a passing resemblance to the 290. Taken in 2010 on a river cruise down the Saone and Rhone starting at Chalon sur Saone.

Thanks for the photos Brian @oldravendale . Not surprising they have a passing resemblance to the Br 290 as they are Mak Vossloh diesel hydraulic G1000 BB 4th generation locomotives which I think look very balanced and good to the eye. Further details of these are here https://www.loks-aus-kiel.de/index.php?nav=1400737&lang=1. The Br 290 was from the same stable but 58 years earlier with the first one built by MaK in 1964.

In this list there are those which operated in France and the record for number 1029 in your photo - including the ownership changes.
https://www.loks-aus-kiel.de/index.php?nav=1403489&lang=1&id=65737&action=portrait

Europorte are a private freight operator in France - which is really surprising knowing how the French tend to protect their own state interests (they also operate le Shuttle.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
...I'll add a snap of my own, if I may, though it is a 295.
Nice and moody, typical for here in Hamburg

Thanks Peter.

I see this one started out as 291 049-5 (of a batch built by Jung in 1976) rangierdiesel.de - Portrait Jung 14213

And is in a nice (but not quite) malachite green and cream livery. Die 295 049-1 (98 80 3295 049-1 D-BEG) der BE - Brohltal-Schmalspureisenbahn Betriebs-GmbH, ex DB 295 049-1, ex DB 291 049-5, ist am 15.05.2016 beim ... - Hellertal.startbilder.de

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The layout has now gained a new station building....

It is a modified Faller kit of Güglingen and this shows the original sprue colours. The prototype is a Württemberg Einheitsbahnhof and is a type IIIa.

I built mine with the goods shed on the left as opposed to the right.

Faller 1.jpg

It was built as sub-assemblies and with part of the back cut away to suit the location on the layout. and painted with acrylics as I went along.

021.jpg

The roof was not used and I built a new one from styrene using the original as a pattern. It is finished with Redutex tile sheet as I did not want the half round tile pattern supplied in the kit.

030.jpg

Additional woodwork visible in photographs of the original was added.
034.jpg

Door steps were sanded to create a worn effect and door handles added from 0.45mm brass wire.

038.jpg

Underside of the roof was scored prior to assembly, painted and weathered.

037.jpg

In situ.... (but not yet bedded in). It was painted and weathered with acrylic paints to try and create disused effect for my layout where passenger services had been withdrawn leaving it as a truncated freight only line. Name boards were made up on the PC using the correct Futura typeface as used by DB from the 1950's to the 1980's. Just needs some additional pin washing around the windows and shutters.

044.jpg

And finally..... (no prizes for guessing the location :))

040.jpg

michael080

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

very nice, I had a "württembergischer Einheitsbahnhof" on my layout as well, although your weathering is much better.
Are you sure you could see the Frauenkirche from anywhere in Württemberg :D

Michael

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Are you sure you could see the Frauenkirche from anywhere in Württemberg :D

I very much doubt it...:). I found the panorama photo on the web and liked it. I think it's taken from the Aussichtspunkt Olympiaberg in
Olympiapark.

I had intended to build an operating diorama set around München (not quite Munich-Neuperlach Süd) with two separate tracks - one with oberleitung and the other with the Münchener U bahn 750V DC Stromschiene together with modern station platforms so I can run these two.

MVG Typ B - which I have since motorised but needs extra work such as third rail pick up shoes, working headlights and other details.

MVG 01.jpg

And a Brawa 426 - for which I have made a full width inter-carriage connection, improved the destination displays and added sunshades to the cab.

426 04.jpg

Connection.jpg

Sunshade.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I do like that. I think Faller kits can be a good basis for a fine looking model :)

They certainly lend themselves for additional detailing - quite a number (if not all) are based on actual prototypes. I would have preferred a Kibri or Vollmer kit as they are generally crisper mouldings but a suitable station building could not be found. There are plenty I like though :).

Bahnhof Verwandlung (Metamorphosis)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The Württembergische station building was a bit too dominant for the layout so last week I built a waiting shelter based on Dalheim.

It's made from card rendered with Vallejo sandy paste and the roof is 5mm dense foamboard. All painted and weathered with acrylic washes.

106.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

107.jpg

And no - it won't turn into an insect :).

jonte

Western Thunderer
The Württembergische station building was a bit too dominant for the layout so last week I built a waiting shelter based on Dalheim.

It's made from card rendered with Vallejo sandy paste and the roof is 5mm dense foamboard. All painted and weathered with acrylic washes.

View attachment 173943

View attachment 173945

View attachment 173946

View attachment 173944

And no - it won't turn into an insect :).
Simply, ‘Wow!’, Dave :thumbs:

I like the ‘dusty’ blend you seem to impart to your models, Dave. Really subdues the tones and makes it appear even more realistic.

Must mention the trees too. May I ask, Dave, do you have a recipe for achieving the very realistic looking colour of the bark ?

Cheers,

Jon

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Nothing as scientific as a recipe Jonte, just a random mixture of AK Interactive Warm grey, Rock Grey and a smidge of Burnt umber followed by a black/brown wash when dry.