Yorky D's Küchentisch - North Eastern - Boing! said the pantograph...

AL1 Class 81

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Back to AL1 (class 81)......

The chassis has been put back together using the motor and trucks from the Hornby class 67, with the HO class 81 sideframes attached.

.....and somehow I need to shoehorn in a decoder and speaker..... as well as some weight. The top of the motor is about 1-2mm below the sunken electric compartment roof, the latter being a feature of BR 25kV electrics..... loading gauge and all that jazz
:)

AL1 05.jpg

I also messed about with the pantograph and replaced the Sommerfeldt SNCF contact head with one I found in my spares from an old Bachmann 4mm cl 85. The Original Sommerfelt einholstromabnehmer (photo from Sommerfeldt website) is on the left and the two on the right are after my tinkering to get it to look like a Stove Faively pantograph. Not all of them had the additional bracing.

AL1 07.jpg

And the state of play thus far. Windscreen wipers are from A-Line (found them in my spares box!) and I added the rainstrips over the doors. I also touched up the yellow and blue paintwork around the windows as the original factory masking wasn't too great.

AL1 03.jpg
AL1 04.jpg

This just shows the BR and DB loading gauges - both locos are HO scale.

AL1 06.jpg

There is still plenty to do on the cl 81 namely replace the front handrails, add coupers, bufferbeam pipework and check out the headcode box as to whether it was yellow or black on this loco.

Catenary

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Taken up a new hobby - knitting.....

In other words reaquainting myself with the hot stick, solder and some wire....

I decided to add some catenary to the HO gauge test plank I've had for years so I purchased some Peco (by Sommerfeldt) catenary masts albeit based on the UK mk.3 25kV masts.

The masts were installed and then the hot stick waved around, I couldn't find my 0.3mm tinned copper wire but found this on my workbench. .....Some 28 gauge (0.32mm) copper wire I aquired from a jewellery craft shop years ago.

Cat 01.jpg

This is a crude attempt at scratch building the contact and catenary wires since building them for a HO Swiss layout back in the last century (below) - not the best photo but I don't have many of this layout I built.

IMG_0095.jpg

And it shows, but with a bit more practice it'll become better.

Cat 05.jpg
Cat 03.jpg
Cat 04.jpg

This is the full length (almost) of the catenary.

Br 420 01.jpg

The problem is the tension of the contact wire as I tied it off to a brass mast at either end. On the DB layout the catenary will be tensioned with sprung tensioner assemblies similar to the prototype (below) where both the contact and catenary wires are tensioned. This is one of many photos I took during one of my visits to Germany.

DSC_00930087A1X.jpg

And finally the AL1 has something to pose under....

AL1 08.jpg

Br 420

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
My latest aquisition is this Roco Br 420 in verkhersrot, being the variant I've been after for a while. Again, I picked this up cheaply and is fortunately numbered and lettered for DB R Süd-Bayern, München :).

Br 420 01.jpg

And I have already started improving the model by removing the moulded windscreen wipers by my usual method of carving them off. Then polishing the glazing with manicurists nail files and buffers to remove any last traces.

Here's the after and before comparison. Holes have been drilled for the new windscreen wipers and there's loads more to do yet to achieve the level of detail I require.

Br 420 04.jpg

This unit makes it the 7th DB item on the workbench - all of which are in various stages of detailing. I've yet to place orders with Wagenwerk and Roco for more detail parts.... :)

Br 420

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Some more...

I had identified areas I could bring the model up to date into the 2020s.

Br 420 03.jpg

However, after some further research all it not as it seems. The later refurbished units received outward opening plug doors and to replicate this on the model means cutting out the doors and moving them outwards to be flush with the bodysides. A step too far as it would mean weakening the body and filling the gaps left by the saw, let alone the different type of door handles!

Therefore, I've decided to leave as is for 2003..... but.....

...in order to improve the look I took a panel line scriber (as used by aricraft modellers) to the door frames and scribed a panel line on the chamfer twixt door and bodyside (circled right). I also removed the silver/chrome rim on the door windows (left) and polished them to remove any trace of the rim/frame.

Br 420 07.jpg

A dark wash was applied in the new door panel lines giving the impression the door slides behind the bodyside. This shows the modified (bottom) and unmodified (top) steuerwagen. The bottom vehicle has also received washes of Industrial Grime and Black Brown on the lower half of the bodyside and underframe. Just enough for the clean 'in service' look

Br 420 05.jpg

These are the Items I've used. The panel scriber is in the silver handle and the washes are from Modellers World - a Polish modelling supplier.

Br 420 06.jpg

michael080

Western Thunderer
Dave,

the 420s were the backbone of many public transport systems in Germany. I don't know how many times I took the S6 from Stuttgart Rohr to the University. :)

However, they were orange/cream at that time.

I remember very well the week when most S-bahn trains were grounded and the Stuttgart public traffic collapsed. The reason for this was pretty stupid:

Most trains had to turn at the Schwabstrasse station. To simplify the process, there was a very tight loop so that the drivers wouldn't have to walk to the back of the train. It was an exciting (forbidden) adventure to travel the loop This loop was so tight that a wheel flange lubrication system had to be used to avoid excessive flange wear. The DB had a huge supply of lube for this system. Nobody noticed that the grease had deteriorated over time. As a result, the flanges of some 2/3 of all Stuttgart S-Bahn trains were out of acceptable spec within a week.

Trains from all S-bahn systems in Germany had to be redirected to help out in Stuttgart.

Michael

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
the 420s were the backbone of many public transport systems in Germany. I don't know how many times I took the S6 from Stuttgart Rohr to the University. :)

However, they were orange/cream at that time.

I remember very well the week when most S-bahn trains were grounded and the Stuttgart public traffic collapsed. The reason for this was pretty stupid:

Most trains had to turn at the Schwabstrasse station. To simplify the process, there was a very tight loop so that the drivers wouldn't have to walk to the back of the train. It was an exciting (forbidden) adventure to travel the loop This loop was so tight that a wheel flange lubrication system had to be used to avoid excessive flange wear. The DB had a huge supply of lube for this system. Nobody noticed that the grease had deteriorated over time. As a result, the flanges of some 2/3 of all Stuttgart S-Bahn trains were out of acceptable spec within a week.

Trains from all S-bahn systems in Germany had to be redirected to help out in Stuttgart.

I remember the orange/cream units from the Rhine-Ruhr region and the blue/cream units from the old München Flughafen.

The wheel wear is interesting and must now be to a lesser degree with the Br 430 articulated units now used on the Stuttgart S-Bahn.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
...no, nothing to do with the three lions of England......:p

instead it's the 3 Löwen of DB's Baden-Württemberg regional area branding :).

110 11.jpg

The Br 110.1 has received it's decals and re-numbered as 110 233-4. it was originally based at Stuttgart but transferred to München retaining the 3 Löwen-Takt branding for a while.

Also the correct Ausbesserungswerk (repair workshop) stencil decal has been applied - REV LDX 01.02.99. REV = Revision, LDX = works responsible, in this case LDX is Dessau and the date. All possible thanks to this website which has the works record card for 110 233-4.

110 09.jpg

There's still more detail to add before the loco is complete.

Br 144 (E44)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Another day another loco....:)

This started out as a Roco model and I had prepared it for renumbering as 144 090-8. A BD München, Bw Rosenheim Wendezug lok which retained it's SBS 11 stromabnehmer and original panelling.

144 090-8 01.jpg

Decals duly arrived and now renumbered, re-lettered and a white stripe decal. I have also applied some road dirt commensurate with the period I'm operating - late 1970s.

144 01.jpg

In addition Weinert detail parts were thrown at the buffer beams and on the front of the lok - air brake lines, Wendezug (push-pull) equipment and electric train heating plugs and sockets.

The brass representation of the cables were cut off from the wendezug and electric heating castings. A 0.3mm hole drilled in the ends of the plugs and 0.3mm brass wire was soldered into the holes to provide a fitting for the silicone tube. The tube is 0.3mm ID carp fishing rig silicone tube - slightly overscale but serves its purpose as can be seen later. I also made up some small brackets from scrap nickel silver etch to mount both the wendzug and electric train heating plugs on the sill.

144 02.jpg

This montage shows the BR 144 on a left and right curve and on straight track (centre) and the flexibility of the fine silicone tube.
144 03.jpg

Just needs the detail touching up with paint - then ready for the road.
144 04.jpg

Schrankposten

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Something I've completed over the last few weekends to see if my building weathering techniques could be scaled down from O to HO.

It's an Auhagen HO scale plastic kit of a Schrankposten (crossing keepers hut).

The roses (of the non-chocolate variety :)) are from Busch scenics.

Auhagen 3.jpg

This has a very Königlich Sächsische Staatseisenbahnen look which is not really in keeping with my proposed München area based layout - not surprising really given Auhagen emanated from the former DDR. On the other hand it could pass for a Preußische Staatseisenbahnen Schrankposten.

This model may end up being a shelf queen rather than used on a diorama or layout.

Started off like this (Auhagen catalog photo).....
Augahen 3 Track inspector’s house.jpg
I

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Dave, I had a ROCO Swiss version of your 144 back in the early 1980s. I sold it on in Houston, probably for a song to buy some American HO rolling stock. Compared to the Fleischmann steam locos it was a beauty.

Paul

Mk2B

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Where work has allowed I have been reworking these Lima HO BR Mk2b coaches over the past month or so.

Mind you they are definately not nor come anywhere near the elevated levels of @LarryG masterclass of coach building and finshing.

The Lima 1970's HO models are of ther era and I acquired five (three TSOs, one FBK and a FK) for the princely sum of £25. They are dimensionally accurate and require some work to bring them up to a reasonable standard.

Firstly the moulded paint demarcation line (TSO, BFK and FK) and the raised beading for the first class stripes (BFK and FK) were removed. The Lima paint finish was removed as far as possible and the coaches reparayed BR blue and grey. Once painted they were lined lettered and numbered using 4mm Fox decals.

Original coaches looked like this. (except mine were not missing any gangways)...

s-l1600.jpg

By the time I had fiddled, messed, faffed :) around they are looking like this so far... the grey and lining does wrap around part way around the door ends.

Mk2b 01.jpg

The coaches will be flush glazed and I've yet to sort out the brake blocks on the bogies to move them in line with the wheel treads. Also Symoba close coupling units have been fitted, the ride height adjusted and new RP25 wheels installed.

At the end of the day it makes a late 1970's early 80's train for the HO class 81 (AL1)

Mk2b 03.jpg

Mk2b 02.jpg

V100

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Another loco was recently acquired - a Roco DBAG Br 212 (ex V100) in Orientrot livery.

006.jpg

V100 03.jpg

It has already received some weathering using AK Interactive and Vallejo acrylic paint, Tamiya weathering powders and oil washes. I also attempted to fade some of the larger panels by rubbing in white Tamiya weathering powder which is subtle but noticeable.

005.jpg

While the loco was on the bench I added the Wendezug (push/pull) connections to the buffer beams andreplaced the flimsy end handrail stanchions with 0.45mm brass wire. The hand knobs at the top were formed with a drop of canopy glue.

Rust was dabbed along the sill to represent wear and tear.

007.jpg

One thing I'm toying with is removing the NEM coupler box from the bogies and mounting the coupler on the chassis which means I can install the four air hoses and steam heat hose on both ends.

002 V100 1.jpg

HO layout

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Recently I've been messing around building a new small inglenook style shunting layout (which will double up as test track) on recycled baseboards.

It measures 1.7 x 0.27m overall (5' 7'' x 10'' in Librae, solidi & denarii) and uses up some Fleischmann HO Profi Flexgleis and points I've had kicking around for a while.

001.jpg

The bulk of the messy work has been done, roads, inset track, platform and first layer of ballasting around the track. More work will be done in these areas as it progresses. The road and platform surface are made from AK Interactive Terrain Asphalt paste.

003.jpg

The idea is to have an Olef (Eifel) style street (acting as the headshunt) opening out into a truncated station and yard.

004.jpg008.jpg

Just the rest to do...:)

HO layout

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Done some more foundation scenery work today with static grass, muddy paths and a pond.

Overall view

010.jpg

I've reworked the crossing to the grubbed out platform by repacing the tarmac with wood.

011.jpg

Driver's eye view - I've also moved the Fleischmann point motors to operate from underneath.

013.jpg

And finall two gratuitous photos....

014.jpg

015.jpg