A Good Read 'Worktown', The Drawings of Falcon Hildred

AJC

Western Thunderer
Just before Christmas, work took me to the Royal Comission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales, or by its shorter(!) Welsh title, Comisiwn Brenhinol Henebion Cymru, it doesn't especially matter why but among other things they publish books on the historic built environment of Wales.

Much though I could say how good these were, I know too many of the authors personally. One that I didn't know was the most 'WT' of them, 'Worktown' a selection of sketches, surveys and illustrations by Falcon Hildred, illustrator and resident of Blaenau Ffestiniog. It became a christmas present to myself and comes thoroughly recommended, as is Falcon's website:

http://www.falconhildred.co.uk/index.html

A fine artistic appreciation of the industrial and social past of Blaenau in particular, but it seems that he's also done a volume on the Newport Transporter bridge, which treads the line between technical and artistic beautifully. One for a Bath-based emporium perhaps?

Adam

Neil

Western Thunderer
Beautiful hand drawn quality to his work, looks effortless but I bet it's taken much practise to get it so.