Wildlife in the garden - Spring and what is this bird?

Dai88D

Western Thunderer
We have long-tailed tits, goldfinches, bullfinches and goldcrests nesting in our garden this year; first time ever though they have been frequent visitors in the past. Swallows have come back into the barn, missed the last few years. We also have jackdaws nesting in one of our arrow-slit windows: the wall is 2-3‘ thick and the slit is completely piled up with sticks. In the past, this was a squirrel drey but the jackdaws have now taken over and expanded the stick pile! Unfortunately, I could not take a good shot from inside the house, and I’m certainly not climbimg ladders to do one from the outside.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The Hedgehogs have been activite through May with visits by animals most nights. The last few days have given us regular visits between 10/00 and 11/00... with a couple of an animals each time.

Last night there was so much huffing/puffing and grunting that I went to see what was going on. I was able to see two youngsters eating from the same bowl and I think that they were the source of the noise. Whilst watching the juniors I felt something bump against my shoes - looking down I was amazed to see an adult Hedgehog trying to push its way between my shoes.

After a few seconds the adult turned around and made an exit through our fence.

So, three hogs at the same time, things are looking up!

regards, Graham

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Sorry to say that here in deepest Bucks we don't see hedgehogs any more - well, not here although we're in a village surrounded by farm land so no fast traffic. Nevertheless.... our bird count has increased by blackcaps - well, only the one female, crows coming down on the bird feeder - magnificent though not terribly desirable. The goldfinch count has increased dramatically and we've had adult and young starlings which are quite rare round here nowadays. Loadsa robins (which I forgot to mention last time) and sparrows, although I'm not certain which variety. The ruddy ducks, which are actually mallards, continue to appear. Is there such a thing as a mallard gun? The jackdaws are brilliant at getting food out of the bird feeder which is set so it closes with anything bigger than a black bird. They just fly into it and scatter the food thus released on to the ground.

I quite like them. Handsome birds as long as they are not stuffing sticks down your chimney and I mean that most sincerely.

The red kites have been down and "relieved" a magpie of a blackbird chick it had purloined. If birds had faces they'd be saying " what the f... was that?"

Brian

Max M

Western Thunderer
Is there such a thing as a mallard gun?
My 'bane' is the Wood Pigeons that will scoff anything that isn't protected by a cage.
I've used a Super Soaker to some effect but the range isn't brilliant and you need to get the water to land on them before they will fly off.
I now have a Nerf pistol which is far more effective, a much better range and they now react to the noise of it being cocked, fired and the 'bullet' heading in their direction. They don't seem to come back as often either. Haven't managed to hit one yet although that isn't my aim...but it is my aim that's letting me down!
Don't know what effect it will have on ducks but it may be worth a try?

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
You know what - I think that may work. I don't want to hurt the things but make life sufficiently uncomfortable for them to stay away. A water jet has been suggested previously as an effective defence so this may do the trick.

Your suggestion is much appreciated.

Oh - I forgot - we have jays too.

Brian

Nick C

Western Thunderer
The Hedgehogs have been activite through May with visits by animals most nights. The last few days have given us regular visits between 10/00 and 11/00... with a couple of an animals each time.

Last night there was so much huffing/puffing and grunting that I went to see what was going on. I was able to see two youngsters eating from the same bowl and I think that they were the source of the noise. Whilst watching the juniors I felt something bump against my shoes - looking down I was amazed to see an adult Hedgehog trying to push its way between my shoes.

After a few seconds the adult turned around and made an exit through our fence.

So, three hogs at the same time, things are looking up!

regards, Graham
We've not seen any Hedgehogs this year :( Previous years there has been a family of them regularly visiting the garden.

Max M

Western Thunderer
We have been enjoying watching two hedgehogs in the garden (called Laurel and Hardy...because Laurel is slim enough to get through the gaps in the cage that protects the ground seed feeder whereas Hardy isn't).
Last night our pleasure grew exponentially when we saw five visiting at the same time. The new arrivals didn't look like babes but they may have been youngsters and it does explain the amount of 'thank yous that Mrs M has to clear up every morning.

The ground feeder has a constant stream of Blackbirds, Starlings and House Sparrows which seem to have had a good breeding season. Also have Collard Doves on occasions.
Good news is that the Nerf gun has had an effect on deterring the Wood Pigeons which visit less regularly and scarper as soon as they seen me or I make a loud noise (cures those curried eggs!).
Also had a visit from Mr Bullfinch which is always nice to see.

Western Thunderer
Some weeds flowering in our garden:

5934E3E7-8B4D-4EFB-8CA8-3050714791EC.jpeg

The bed is planted with dwarf rhododendrons but obviously suits these northern marsh orchids very well, and mountain pea which has also seeded in. I remove other weeds, but the northern marsh orchids and the mountain pea are welcome and are always left. Apart from anything else, they provide some interest after the rhododendrons have finished flowering.

Western Thunderer
Some weeds flowering in our garden:

View attachment 188264

The bed is planted with dwarf rhododendrons but obviously suits these northern marsh orchids very well, and mountain pea which has also seeded in. I remove other weeds, but the northern marsh orchids and the mountain pea are welcome and are always left. Apart from anything else, they provide some interest after the rhododendrons have finished flowering.

The other plants that come up all over the garden, which I leave wherever possible, are various species of fern. The areas they have taken over look great and provide an excellent habitat for all sorts of creature. Also, require pretty much no maintenance as the dead fern fronds form a thick mulch that prevents unwelcome weeds establishing.

641721B8-2B31-4F7A-B4BE-B60ACCB05B83.jpeg

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Apologies for the poor quality but this little chap (or chapess) has been in and around our garden for the last week or thereabouts. Parents are always nearby - thay are still feeding it - while giving it total freedom.

Young Crow 001.jpg
Young Crow 005.jpg

Guess it left the nest too early.

Crimson Rambler

Mike W

Western Thunderer
In Northamptonshire we had three Hedgehogs in the garden c8pm throughout May: two together and one larger on its own. Since returning from holiday a couple of days ago we still have the two, but not yet seen the larger one. However, a family member reports seeing a single tiny one near the shrubbery, so we are hopeful, even excited!

Max M

Western Thunderer
Not sure what was going on with two of the HH's last night - they were nose to nose with the slightly larger of the two going forward and a other reversing away. They were still at it when my (limited) concentration ran out and the call of the Cocoa won.
Not sure if this was territorial, social or carnal.