4mm Whatborough Camp

jonte

Western Thunderer
Very effective, Roger, and a big difference in a short space of time.

I agree with you about backscenes letting down an otherwise excellent composition, which is why a hue of grey will have to suffice for mine ;). Barry Norman in his landscaping book shows that you don’t have to be Rembrandt to create a convincing scene, and washes of watercolour over steadily spread out lines representing hedgerows are more than sufficient. Still not plucked up the courage to give it a go!

Cheers,

Jonte

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A brief update on the gentle progress at Whatborough Yard. After a couple of tweaks to the track and wiring the station roads - simple enough for me to see, not quite like the miniature plugs I have to do for my 0 gauge project, ballasting has started. Test running is carried out regularly and the next major job is to construct the sector plate which will be the storage-cum-fiddle yard. The running of trains, for me, always expands the thoughts of services on the line. I have already taken the generous option of running passenger trains on an 'as required' but the freight services, although in war-time they would have priority anyway, would be subject to some aspect of time-table working with the traffic on what was principally a freight line between Newark and Northampton not to mention the former GN Leicester Branch which ran a full service to Grantham and points east. These, in my fictional back story, all meet at Marefield Junction (fact), as does our Whatborough Branch (fiction). There is a triangular junction for Whatborough which is also used for tender engines to turn round and the rule book has decreed that all trains in either direction on the branch, shall have the locomotive leading for maximum braking power. (before the experts jump down my throat I accept that there may be no truth in this , but I don't like the hook and loop front couplings at the front on my tender locos. Rule 1 again!!!)
It has also occurred to me that a workman's train each day is also a good prospect in wartime, too. This will be supplied by the LMS and run two services a day to cover each of the twelve hour shifts . Yes - life was hard in those days, but there was a war on...........;)!
So there you some more fact and fiction all entwined about the wonderful world of Whatborough Yard - I hope you enjoyed it. It really is just my own example of the application of that well known rule I keep mentioning. If nothing else it keeps the little grey cells occupied.......:rolleyes:!

Roger.

jonte

Western Thunderer
A brief update on the gentle progress at Whatborough Yard. After a couple of tweaks to the track and wiring the station roads - simple enough for me to see, not quite like the miniature plugs I have to do for my 0 gauge project, ballasting has started. Test running is carried out regularly and the next major job is to construct the sector plate which will be the storage-cum-fiddle yard. The running of trains, for me, always expands the thoughts of services on the line. I have already taken the generous option of running passenger trains on an 'as required' but the freight services, although in war-time they would have priority anyway, would be subject to some aspect of time-table working with the traffic on what was principally a freight line between Newark and Northampton not to mention the former GN Leicester Branch which ran a full service to Grantham and points east. These, in my fictional back story, all meet at Marefield Junction (fact), as does our Whatborough Branch (fiction). There is a triangular junction for Whatborough which is also used for tender engines to turn round and the rule book has decreed that all trains in either direction on the branch, shall have the locomotive leading for maximum braking power. (before the experts jump down my throat I accept that there may be no truth in this , but I don't like the hook and loop front couplings at the front on my tender locos. Rule 1 again!!!)
It has also occurred to me that a workman's train each day is also a good prospect in wartime, too. This will be supplied by the LMS and run two services a day to cover each of the twelve hour shifts . Yes - life was hard in those days, but there was a war on...........;)!
So there you some more fact and fiction all entwined about the wonderful world of Whatborough Yard - I hope you enjoyed it. It really is just my own example of the application of that well known rule I keep mentioning. If nothing else it keeps the little grey cells occupied.......:rolleyes:!

Roger.

Wonderful back-story, Roger, and highly believable. At least yours bears some credibility unlike when I attempt it!

I’ll bet if you dig deep enough you’ll find an example of locos leading as you claim, after all, isn’t there a prototype for everything? As long as it satisfies you, that’s reason enough.

I look forward to more photos; perhaps after your pending procedure.

Best

Jonte

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Life can be somewhat trying - I am still waiting to hear when I can get my eye fixed, which means the wiring on my 7mm project continues to be delayed but fortunately my 4mm project, Whatborough Yard, was already wired up and test running has happened. I still have the sector plate to manufacture and install but I can have a 'play' and do some shunting if the mood takes me. So the progress so far - I managed to source a back sheet which resembles the type of scene that reminds me of my old home county to a reasonable degree - not perfect, but as near as I am going to get 'off the shelf' - my thanks to Messrs Gaugemaster as a very satisfied customer. The scenic sheet is one of their newly improved items and IMHO excellent in both quality and value. I have persisted with some minor scenic work and established what will be the military sidings and am reasonably pleased with how it is going. This was done as an alternative to ballasting - much of which remains undone, but second only to wiring it is my least favourite job........! (Yes - I know all about procrastination :eek:..) Anyway - here are a couple of pictures showing the military sidings in their present stage - the Webb 'Coal Tank' is returning the workman's train stock to Market Harborough, joining the LNW&GN joint line at Marefield junction (aka the sector board- or will be when it is installed :rolleyes:)

SAM_2122.JPG

Same subject - slightly different angle:-
SAM_2123.JPG

Just a passing thought I have had - whilst the use of 'Coal Tanks ' on local passenger trains is quite proper - they were very efficient on this type of working as every vehicle was braked, whilst on loose-coupled freight the little tanks struggled to stop the train at times - I would love a Webb 2-4-2T. These were not dissimilar to the L&Y 2-4-2T which already exists in 4mm, also from Bachmann. It has crossed my mind that some loco-bashing might be a prospect if one is not too pedantic about exact scale. I haven't really looked in to this and the whole idea may be well out of whack, but it is a thought........:confused:.
Trusting the above is not too boring and of some interest - I really must make constructing the sector plate my next job.........:oops:.

Cheers everyone,
Roger.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Life can be somewhat trying - I am still waiting to hear when I can get my eye fixed, which means the wiring on my 7mm project continues to be delayed but fortunately my 4mm project, Whatborough Yard, was already wired up and test running has happened. I still have the sector plate to manufacture and install but I can have a 'play' and do some shunting if the mood takes me. So the progress so far - I managed to source a back sheet which resembles the type of scene that reminds me of my old home county to a reasonable degree - not perfect, but as near as I am going to get 'off the shelf' - my thanks to Messrs Gaugemaster as a very satisfied customer. The scenic sheet is one of their newly improved items and IMHO excellent in both quality and value. I have persisted with some minor scenic work and established what will be the military sidings and am reasonably pleased with how it is going. This was done as an alternative to ballasting - much of which remains undone, but second only to wiring it is my least favourite job........! (Yes - I know all about procrastination :eek:..) Anyway - here are a couple of pictures showing the military sidings in their present stage - the Webb 'Coal Tank' is returning the workman's train stock to Market Harborough, joining the LNW&GN joint line at Marefield junction (aka the sector board- or will be when it is installed :rolleyes:)

View attachment 148355

Same subject - slightly different angle:-
View attachment 148356

Just a passing thought I have had - whilst the use of 'Coal Tanks ' on local passenger trains is quite proper - they were very efficient on this type of working as every vehicle was braked, whilst on loose-coupled freight the little tanks struggled to stop the train at times - I would love a Webb 2-4-2T. These were not dissimilar to the L&Y 2-4-2T which already exists in 4mm, also from Bachmann. It has crossed my mind that some loco-bashing might be a prospect if one is not too pedantic about exact scale. I haven't really looked in to this and the whole idea may be well out of whack, but it is a thought........:confused:.
Trusting the above is not too boring and of some interest - I really must make constructing the sector plate my next job.........:oops:.

Cheers everyone,
Roger.

Glad to read that you are enjoying some modelling/operation again despite your procedure still being held in abeyance, Roger. I especially like your clever dodge regarding ballasting which looks quite effective. I’ve still to try my hand at ballasting, and despite being guided by my fellow Westerners in respect of method and suitable materials, I don’t relish the thought of the application :(

I share your interest in those fine Webb locos, Roger, one which started many years ago pre-Internet days in fact with my urge to build a model of the old Red Wharf Bay and Benllech branch line which has now been closed longer than it was open! I remember reading during my research that the first LNWR auto coach working took place on the branch, in the form of a 2-4-2T and former Lavatory coach (I think that’s the correct term), which had a drivers cab at the rear of the coach for when it ran back to its bay at Holland Arms. I’ve a black and white photo of it somewhere at Pentraeth station which was the terminus for a couple of years until it was extended to its final resting place in a field that was neither at Red Wharf nor Benllech!

Apologies for the delay in responding to your post btw. I saw it earlier, which then prompted me to hunt around for my own 2-4-2 Webb tank. It is a GEM white metal kit that I had built and painted in LNWR colours for me by a guy from a local model railway club circa 1985, having purchased it many years before for the project I’ve just mentioned. I couldn’t build kits at the time - still can’t - so in its box it remained with motor, gearbox and wheels waiting until I’d plucked up the courage to build it, which of course, like tomorrow, never arrived. The problem was, that having had the completed model delivered to me by the builder, it sat for a couple more years unused due to work commitments, me getting it out occasionally and admiring it. When I eventually came to run it, sadly it didn’t; or, more precisely, it did momentarily before the works seemed to jam up. From memory, I think it was a problem with the gearbox, and sadly disappointment meant that I never attempted to run it again :( So, following a house move over 20 years ago now, it was placed with some other train paraphernalia in the loft where it remained; or so I thought, until I saw your post earlier and decided to climb into the loft to look for it with my wife steadying a dodgey set of old step ladders!

And what a rotten dirty task it was, having had a new roof fitted only a few weeks ago. I expected as much, but the muck was a sight to behold. Think I’ll have to have it industrially cleaned and some new loft insulation fitted which has been disturbed in parts.

Anyway, back to the Webb tank: it wasn’t where I thought it was, Roger, so after a clean up, I went outside to my modelling room and turned every box, container, ottoman and trunk upside down, but again my search was fruitless. Which means that I will have to brave a visit to my pit of a loft once more, and move umpteen plastic crates containing a litany of maths and science text books out of the way, as I’m certain that behind them there has to be another box or other containing my little Webb.

If I find it, Roger, you’re most welcome to have it. Perhaps with your replenished eyesight, you might be able to get it going (it’s OO gauge) or at least try and drop it onto that L&Y Bachmann chassis you were proposing. Anyway, if I find it, I’ll PM you and see how you feel about it, and don’t worry if you would rather decline. It would be warming, though, to think it could be of some use in whatever form at Whatborough.

Best wishes, Roger, and apologies for the rather long-winded post!

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Jonte,
Many thanks for the offer - I would be delighted to have a go at making your elusive 2-4-2T work again as and when it comes to light. The only other ex-LNWR loco that is used at Whatborough Yard is a G2A - again a Bachmann offering. However, being an eclectic type, we have a variety of Midland types, not to mention Robinson and Holden types from the 'GN' side, albeit that they are GC and GE in origin. As I said - an eclectic colection of stock - Rule 1 being firmly applied!
In respect of the ballasting, a paved goods yard is a great way of cutting back the amount of ballasting. Everyone has their own method, I am sure. In this case there is a foam-board spacer topped by Metcalfe's Tarmac sheet to bring the level up to rail top, or a gnat's whisker below just to ensure smooth running of wagons and maintain current collection on locos if necessary. between the rails I have used a filler formed of spare card from a Metcalfe kit , this being painted to match. I find this sheeting a great time saver and certainly it provides a satisfactory result for me anyway.
The best of luck with your ballasting - one has to remember that patience is a virtue with that particular job ;)!
Roger

jonte

Western Thunderer
Jonte,
Many thanks for the offer - I would be delighted to have a go at making your elusive 2-4-2T work again as and when it comes to light. The only other ex-LNWR loco that is used at Whatborough Yard is a G2A - again a Bachmann offering. However, being an eclectic type, we have a variety of Midland types, not to mention Robinson and Holden types from the 'GN' side, albeit that they are GC and GE in origin. As I said - an eclectic colection of stock - Rule 1 being firmly applied!
In respect of the ballasting, a paved goods yard is a great way of cutting back the amount of ballasting. Everyone has their own method, I am sure. In this case there is a foam-board spacer topped by Metcalfe's Tarmac sheet to bring the level up to rail top, or a gnat's whisker below just to ensure smooth running of wagons and maintain current collection on locos if necessary. between the rails I have used a filler formed of spare card from a Metcalfe kit , this being painted to match. I find this sheeting a great time saver and certainly it provides a satisfactory result for me anyway.
The best of luck with your ballasting - one has to remember that patience is a virtue with that particular job ;)!
Roger

Thank you, Roger, although the term ‘virtue’ is alien to me ;)

Pleased to read that you’re able to offer my humble Webb gainful employment in ‘the Yard’, Roger, and delighted at the prospect of her ‘going’ once again. Indeed, I shall muster the courage to brave the now chimney-like environment of my once habitable loft, and report back my findings in due course :thumbs:

Best

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Work in Progress:

As a respite from finalizing the basic wiring at Cropshaw, my 7mm project, I decided to spend some more time at Whatborough Yard, This was in no small way encouraged by the arrival of a Stanier 8F to the loco stock at a very acceptable price, although the testing of the loco was not a feature of today' illustrations. I decided to relax by entering a favourite aspect of the hobby, namely the 'make-it-up-as-you-go' method of scenic creation. I should explain that it has been my intent to either use material I already have at hand or adapt said kit or, when all else fails scratch build to my requirements. At my age, the general idea is to reduce the accumulated heap of a life-time's scenic materials, not increase the pile!
Thus a start has been made, concentrating principally of a Military area in the foreground of the layout. To this end, as I write a small package of very suitable vehicles is on the way from a well-known retailer to add life to the scene :cool:!
So, here we go with how it is beginning to shape up - I would again stress that this is work in progress - a bit like the engineering or printed samples so beloved of today:-

SAM_2133.JPG
A rather dull view of the military sidings. The ill fittng joints on the surface have now been 'fixed'!
SAM_2135.JPG
The outer gate to the yard - an examination area will be detailed between this entrance and the lifting barrier.
SAM_2136.JPG
The opposite end showing a stores area (nissen hut and canvas covered buildings). Isn't it amazing how photographs show you that a wire has slipped out of the clip :oops: !
SAM_2137.JPG
A slightly longer view showing the railway feed in to the yard with the running line in the back-ground.

So there you have it so far. I'll see if I can get a bit more done this afternoon, There is one important job that does take precendence though - it's time for a brew :D!

Roger.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
My apologies for my extended absence from this thread of late. As any member who has followed my other project, Cropsham, will already know, I have spent most of the several weeks disabled - no not with the dreaded one, but with a very British early winter flu-like very heavy cold. Fortunately, I had managed to get my eyes 'fixed' before this last trial came about so at least as things eased, I was able to enjoy catching up on some modelling magazines which I had been unable to see properly before hand :). The time spent has resulted in much change to my hobbying. Cropsham (the 7mm project) is now abandoned and the stock and sundries is currently being processed for disposal :(. Whatborough Yard has thus gain precedence and in the last day or so, I have managed at long last to do a bit of work on it. Some of the developments have yet to be seen but as far as the track layout is concerned there has been one slight adjustment, namely a minor re-alignment of the road to the goods shed. You may recall it had a rather awkward 'S' bend and I confess that this had bugged me from day one. So - the 'S' has been replaced by a slight curve and the building offset at an angle, which IMHO will look far more realistic in the general overview as things evolve to a state of reasonable completion. Judge for yourselves from the pictures.

SAM_2140.JPG

SAM_2139.JPG

It is all still all work very much in progress and, despite the shadows on the picture, there is no apparent 'bubbling' to the back-sheet when viewed with the naked eye neither can it be discerned on the upper picture although the top corner needs seeing to :rolleyes:.

On the motive power front the influence of the former Great Eastern is beginning to make itself more obvious. I already have a D16/3 - what a little cracker too! A recent offer from Oxford Diecasts has resulted in the imminent arrival of a J15 which will be accompanied by a selection of rolling stock and appropriate road vehicles for the pre-nationalisation period. It may be stretching a point for my 'scenario' but former GE types such as B12s were seen at Rugby - this being a stop for the Birmingham -Harwich trains. D16's also appeared regularly at Leicester Midland with terminating services from Peterborough, so during the additional and many demands of wartime traffic, getting a J15 at Whatborough Yard as well is not beyond the bounds of my imagination anyway :D! (Thinks! I'll have to look out for a B12 now..........:confused:!) Finally, on the subject of motive power, I do have the nucleus of a post-nationalisation 'set'of motive power and stock and this has been graced by a new and most appropriate arrival, by the courtesy and great generosity of my good friend John of "Monks - a Minories layout....." fame, comprising a Webb 1P 2-4-2T. It arrived beautifully painted and lined in LNWR livery, which sooner than replace, I modified to BR lined passenger - probably never seen on this class but you know me and Rule One ;)! I think it looks well. It will serve on light duties when I am running 'BR'.

SAM_2138.JPG

For interest 46666 was withdrawn from Northampton (2E) in 1952. Well fellow railway fans, thank you for staying with me through this rather lengthy note - I am afraid us old guys to tend to waffle on a bit :rolleyes:. See you next time with more news and pictures:cool:.

Roger ;).

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hiya, Roger!

So pleased to see you back and posting, and delighted that you appear to be over the worst of this year’s lurgy :) Endured my jab t’other day to try and keep the wolf from the door!

Good to see that you’ve mustered the energy and enthusiasm to return to Whatborough; I agree the subtle amendment to the shed road conveys a prototypical flow to the plan :thumbs: It’s my humble opinion too that the new angled siting of the shed building imparts a shallower curve to the adjacent tracks, so all in all Roger, a win-win situation :)

I’m delighted that you were able to provide some gainful employment for the humble Webb after it lying redundant for longer than I care to remember in my care :thumbs: The pleasure, Roger, was indeed all mine.

I should point out that the reason for its redundancy was that I couldn’t get it to work; sadly, I possess not the engineering bent required :( Roger, however, had it doing circuits in both directions within literally hours of receiving it, AND (may I add) pre-optical procedure! Astounding.

The new ‘livery’ really suits and imparts that B.R. goods traffic look. I like it :thumbs:

Long may you continue to ‘waffle’, Roger; I look forward to further ‘Yard’ instalments. Hopefully next time, we won’t have to wait too long.

Cheers,

Jon (of Monks - Minories ….. infamy ;))

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
My apologies for a somewhat extended absence from the thread and, indeed, a lack of real progress at Whatborough Yard of late. Unfortunately, just as I recovered from my early seasonal cold I had my covid booster and flu jab, which in combination slowed me right down once more :(:(. However, I did manage to get some little scenic work started and in the past two or three days have managed to progress with some tidying up of what was already under way. At the close of play today, certain areas still required to set firm and this should be effective by tomorrow, all things being equal, including weather decent enough for me to venture to the shed and back :rolleyes:!
Hopefully tomorrow will also allow me to obtain a few pictures of the tidied up scenic effects although, to be honest, I have not yet extended the ballasting as yet. On a brighter note I have arranged the provision of certain bits and bobs that should enable the long awaited appearance of the temporary platform (which will no doubt be retained when the military use is ended and the branch returns to the transit of minerals) so if I can ask your forbearance for a little longer I hope you will find the results will reward your patience. For the present, I thank you all for your continuing interest ;).

Roger :)

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Better late than never ;)! Unfortunately the extreme weather conditions locally made it impossible for me to visit Whatborough Yard yesterday but I am happy to say I managed to get there today. Here are some views of the scenic work - still very much in progress - but are heading towards the final stages. An element of railway operation also happened whilst I was there and I have a distinct feeling that people and road vehicles will soon reveal themselves - on that score we shall see :confused:!

Looking across the spinney and field as an LMS Compound drifts in to Whatborough yard platform road with a short troop train. (Sorry about the 'back-flash'.)
SAM_2147.JPG

Looking towards the road overbridge which forms the scenic break . Funny - you don't notice the leaning tree until after you have put the picture up on the thread.......:eek:.
SAM_2148.JPG

A camouflaged tented store next to the main stores - the unmistakable shape of a Nissen Hut can be glimpsed.
SAM_2151.JPG

Just as I was leaving the brisk departure of the ECS hauled by a J15 seemed to indicate a further influx of personnel is not far off, this time from the Eastern Counties if the motive power is anything to go by.!
SAM_2150.JPG

So there you have it, fellow enthusiasts. I make no excuses for areas of untidiness - as I would stress, it is all work in progress and I can always seem to find a little more titivation of the scenic picture that I can do. (They can't touch you for it :rolleyes:.) I hope that it will not be too long before more news and pictures of this little semi-military backwater can be released. Please watch this space.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Better late than never ;)! Unfortunately the extreme weather conditions locally made it impossible for me to visit Whatborough Yard yesterday but I am happy to say I managed to get there today. Here are some views of the scenic work - still very much in progress - but are heading towards the final stages. An element of railway operation also happened whilst I was there and I have a distinct feeling that people and road vehicles will soon reveal themselves - on that score we shall see :confused:!

Looking across the spinney and field as an LMS Compound drifts in to Whatborough yard platform road with a short troop train. (Sorry about the 'back-flash'.)
View attachment 151403

Looking towards the road overbridge which forms the scenic break . Funny - you don't notice the leaning tree until after you have put the picture up on the thread.......:eek:.
View attachment 151404

A camouflaged tented store next to the main stores - the unmistakable shape of a Nissen Hut can be glimpsed.
View attachment 151405

Just as I was leaving the brisk departure of the ECS hauled by a J15 seemed to indicate a further influx of personnel is not far off, this time from the Eastern Counties if the motive power is anything to go by.!
View attachment 151406

So there you have it, fellow enthusiasts. I make no excuses for areas of untidiness - as I would stress, it is all work in progress and I can always seem to find a little more titivation of the scenic picture that I can do. (They can't touch you for it :rolleyes:.) I hope that it will not be too long before more news and pictures of this little semi-military backwater can be released. Please watch this space.

Plenty of bendy trees in my vicinity due to the recent inclement spell, Roger. Still belting as I write :eek: It’ll probably be with you within the next ten minutes or so :(

Coming along in leaps and bounds, Roger, considering your recent enforced absence. I do like layouts where occasionally you can only see glimpses of the trains through the trees - isn’t that a saying? ;)

The military theme is one I hadn’t considered but the seemingly endless type of passengers (troops) and goods (artillery etc) in a small rural setting is astounding and will make for plentiful operation, I’ll bet!

I remember my father telling me about the troop trains that used to stop at a special platform, just past the main station at Hightown (where he was born and brought up) on the Liverpool/Southport line, en route to the rifle ranges at Altcar. Apparently, the troops could come from anywhere and everywhere, transported on trains of numerous carriages. Not sure whether my memory serves me well, but I think he mentioned horses accompanying them.

Coincidentally, I was researching an unrelated subject earlier this afternoon when I happened upon this (at Holywell Junction station on the Chester/Holyhead line): Disused Stations: Holywell Junction If you scroll down the page, Roger, you’ll see a photo of the troops marching away from the station after having just disembarked :thumbs:

Apologies for harping on, Roger :(

Anyway, I shall keep a beady eye out for further updates and developments :)

Best,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A little more progress at Whatborough Yard and at last some more activity other than the test-trains we have previously glimpsed.

SAM_2161.JPG

Instead of the more familiar LMS Compound, Deeley 3F waits to depart with the early afternoon workman's train. The shift pattern in this area requires transport for the three shift system that is in operation.

SAM_2162.JPG

The LNER presence at Whatborough Yard today is seen in the form of a J15 with a van for the goods shed. In the foreground a Stanier 8F loco waits for the unloading of its train so that it can return the empty wagons for refilling.

SAM_2164.JPG
It looks as if the 8F will be able to start clearing the yard quite soon as the wagons are now emptied and the last military Bedford lorry is heading towards the yard exit.

SAM_2166.JPG

A general view of the Whatborough Yard scene from the elevated road. An RAF lorry is turning towards the main railway/military stores depot. The random black marks on the road were the result of an unsuccessful experiment with a weathering spray on the card surface used for the road. Steps will be taken to rectify this in due course.

SAM_2163.JPG

Finally, military vehicles on the high level road provided the bulk of the traffic at this time.

I trust the above pictures will provide both entertainment and possibly even some amusement. My little world in 1944 continues to get busier as the days pass and hopefully there will be more news, pictures and stories, all fit to print, in the not too distant future showing even more progress on the modelling front.

Cheers,
Roger ;)

jonte

Western Thunderer
Coming on a treat, Roger, and all with purpose :thumbs:

Several busy scenes, both inside and outside the ‘fence’. Particularly liking the different types of military vehicles spotted about the scene which is giving me an appetite for some military modelling ;)

Good to see the 8F getting an outing too, Roger :thumbs:

Really pleased to see you enjoying ‘the Yard’ operationally. Just goes to prove it really does have purpose.

Looking forward to more photos and further tales, printable or otherwise :p

Best,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Jon,

Many thanks for your continued support. It is nice to know that my flights of imagination are giving pleasure, so please continue to watch this space.

Cheers,
Roger

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Recent operations at Whatborough Yard have revealed that some improvements should be made, particularly in the case of electrical continuity in one particular area which can be principally attributed to an 'iffy' point :headbang:. In the event, following the onset of more inclement weather and the prospect of further deterioration in temperatures on Autumn eases gently in to the winter season, I decided to remove all the stock, both rail and road and pack it away which will allow me on a series of what are more likely to be visits of relatively brief duration, to carry out the required modifications and move towards a more efficient running layout which may also acquire a better scenic picture too, time permitting. Thus, reports and yarns from Whatborough Yard will be rather infrequent for the present time until such full operations can be resumed :(.

May I take this opportunity to thank all those who have been following my rambling adventures and particularly to those who have made both kind and encouraging comments. Rest assured, when anything is achieved with the work to be done that is worth talking about, further notes will be published. As a final aside, I did give the entire roster of locomotives available for use at Whatborough a test run before putting them in 'winter storage' and am delighted to say that all performed to specification. I must admit that some had not seen much service for some time so this was indeed reassuring :). I have every hope that Spring 2022 will see the bulk of the 'cast' on stage on a revitalized Whatborough Branch.

I look forward to having more news in the not too distant future............:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Roger :).

jonte

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear that there is to be a hiatus at Whatborough, Roger, however brief, but I agree that efficient running is fundamental to our enjoyment of our hobby, so support fully your decision to ‘act’, as drastic as it may appear :thumbs:

And of course, you still have your work cut out for you on ‘the Light’ ;), so looks like you’ll be busy well into the new year.

Despite your disappointment, I was pleased to read that Whatborough’s locos are deemed ‘serviceable’, so that’s at least half the battle to achieving smooth running. Forgive me for teaching my granny etc., for saying so :oops:

Keep warm, keep dry and of course, keep keeping on :thumbs:

Will keep an eye out for developments.

Kind regards,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Despite the present 'closure' due to recent adverse weather, I was able to check out some of the track problems reported earlier and am happy to report that the point problem has been resolved - it's amazing what resorting to old fashioned cleaning methods can achieve :cool:. I still have one section of track to lift and replace, but if this calmer weather persists, this may well get done this weekend. Whilst getting the said point-work sorted I took the opportunity to test-run a new addition to the locomotive roster - a real bargain from Bure Valley Models, with whom I have no connection other than an extremely satisfied customer, and I append a picture of the loco, a Hornby K1, on test at Whatborough.

SAM_2169.JPG

Apologies for the 'back-flash' but I took the picture in rather a hurry. As for the loco itself. Well, straight out of the box and ran impeccably - what more can one ask.
That's all the news and only picture fit to print for the moment from Whatborough Yard.

Compliments of the season and Festive Greetings to all,

Roger.