Wildlife in the garden - Spring and what is this bird?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
My Good Lady has caught another unknown visitor today...

blackcap maybe.JPG

This bird was not interested in the sunflower hearts... peanuts... "wild bird food"... , just this "fat log". Stayed for a few minutes and then departed, came back several hours later and repeated the performance. A rather elegant shape with a very fine, thin, beak.

So what do we have here?

regards, Graham

Last edited:

daifly

Western Thunderer
You are probably right. A scale ruler attached to the feeder would be useful for sizing. A job for tomorrow Graham!
Dave

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I'm with Adam. The BTO are now recording some Blackcaps over wintering in the UK rather than their previous status as summer migrants. Numbers aren't huge at the moment. I had a pair that inhabited a huge blackberry bed who entered the bed near a workshop window. In winter they stayed around and I could see the nest. To back up the reports the BTO decide to do a full survey of the over wintering behaviour which starts as my birds disappear.
Green Woodpeckers are ground feeders and unlikely to be seen on a pecker.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'd not argue with the opinions expressed so far except to say that we regularly saw green woodpeckers on the feeders at our previous house. The only difference from then to where we are now is that previously the land next to us was derelict, as in a garden which had not been looked after. We see them here, but as Simon has suggested only as ground feeders.

Wonderful to see black caps, though. They were very occasional visitors to our last house but we've seen none here- so far.

Brian

richard carr

Western Thunderer
It's not a green wood pecker we get those in the garden most days, but they never go on the feeder. The spotted woodpecker does though and most of the other birds.

Richard

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
I had forgotten about this thread, apologies for the highjack. Last week I notice our Sparrow Hawk was feasting in the field behind our house. Looks like its had a Pheasant, then one of the Buzzards (there were 10+ circling the other day) decide it wanted in on the action and stole its dinner. The sheep then decided they wanted some too shoeing the Buzzard off, only for the Buzzard to circle back round behind them. Pictures aren't great I am afraid.

SH1.jpg
SH2.jpg
SH3.jpg
SH4.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
This photo by my Good Lady through a window; unlike the previous photos I know the subject of this picture - male and female Bullfinches. We have been seeing a single male Bullfinch for several years now, he comes once or twice a week and ncver stays for more than a few minutes at each visit.

The most recent sighting pleases us for Mr. has brought along Mrs.

Bullfinches.JPG

And in case you are thinking "several years, pull the other one", the BTO entry for this species says typical lifespan of two years with longest of 9 years (ring data).

regards, Graham

Last edited:
A

Arun

Seen almost daily lurking overhead, red kites very rarely come into the garden. This was taken last year after I had thrown out some ham for the locally resident rooks who start getting noisy if they haven't had their bacon or ham by 9am. Wingspan estimated at somewhere between five and six feet.
red kite.jpg
About six miles to the north at Beckley [on the approach to Brize] there is usually a 'cab rank' of red kites but I understand they have now been joined by a male juvenile sea eagle who has migrated from those released on the Isle of Wight. He hasn't been recorded as having visited Abingdon yet!
He seems to enjoy the company of red kites more than sea eagles!
What passes for a small lawn has been mown since then BTW.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Ahem, .... she! (I think a juvenille.) The male has a grey cap and grey underside to the tail feathers with finer blackish bars, the back and upper flight feathers are a rich chestnut, the female is a dull chestnut. Lovely photo.
Simon

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Seeing a Kestrel photo, here is what I would really like for my car of the same name:

IMG_2714 copy.jpg

The size is a little bit too ostentatious for my liking but this was mounted on a larger car than mine (12/4 vs 9 HP). Pardon the awful pun, but these ornaments seem to be as rare as hens' teeth.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
We have flocks of Greenfinches come to feed throughout the year although attendance has been low in the past few weeks. Web pages which describe the Greenfinch often make note that Siskins fly and feed with the Greenfinchs, until today I have not been able to be positive about seeing a Siskin. Here is another photo by my Good Lady taken this morning - our first confirmed Siskin.

Siskin.JPG

regards, Graham

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Amazing the range of knowledge available on this site and I enjoy the diversions topics take. Makes me wonder if the RSPB has a "What class of DMU is that?" topic on its forum.

Yes I've always been surprised at the varied other interests we have but also that others have the same interests as myself :confused::rolleyes::))....does sound confusing.
So we're not just Rail & Petrolheads after all:D.

Col.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Not quite in the garden but just over the fence. A few visitors to the railway yesterday morning.

51096080507_8ae2f1d2d6_b.jpg

51095983676_471da2fb2b_b.jpg

51096065194_2c7d9631c3_b.jpg