Weekend break at GWSR

mickoo

Western Thunderer
First visit to GWSR last weekend, well Friday and Saturday. Actually bleedin cold and miserable on Friday but Saturday afternoon it cleared out and sunny enough to actually get sun burnt :eek:

There were a couple of engines I needed to get detail shots off and frankly the rest of the time was spent just enjoying the trains, beer and good company of Neil (Podders), Mick Roffe and his brother.

It was indeed, a grand day(s) out.

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I've never been there, Mick. Looks as though it'd be a worthwhile trip.

I assume it was a gala - there appear to be visiting engines.

Brian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Neither had I and never knew it existed until Mick mentioned it a few weeks back.

Yes it was their spring/summer three day steam gala, they need some landscaping to make some grades though, whilst the area is hilly the line isn't.....particularly.

Tim Birch

It makes for a good day out if you are in the area. The line is a decent length of former main line and so it doesn't feel like a branch line with caged engines. My suggestion is park at Cheltenham (the station is next to the capacious racecourse car parks) and take the line to Broadway for lunch and then return.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
We parked at Toddington as we found out not all trains go to Broadway so you can be stuck there for quite some time, it's also free at Toddington but pay to park at Broadway, no idea about Cheltenham.

They also did a lot of engine swapping at Toddington so that adds a bit more activity and spice to things.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I used to be loco crew there back in the 90s. Along with @TimC. And others. It’s a lovely line. I think it was the last GWR main line built.

The gradients aren’t spectacular, it’s true. But you can still get a good beat out of your steed going north between Cheltenham and Gotherington (I had it in second valve once, but that was purely for my pleasure :) ). I wouldn’t envy the Pug fireman going back from Winchcombe to Toddy; even the hill at Hailes would be troublesome if you weren’t on top of your game. And Winchcombe tunnel has its moments, too.

Cheers

Jan

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I've never been there, Mick. Looks as though it'd be a worthwhile trip.

I assume it was a gala - there appear to be visiting engines.

Brian
Brian,

It’s arguably one of the least exciting railways in the UK. Straight and flat. Even the Nene Valley is more exciting and that’s saying something..

JB.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Brian,

It’s arguably one of the least exciting railways in the UK. Straight and flat. Even the Nene Valley is more exciting and that’s saying something..

JB.
This statement is not untrue :D

But, in my case, I was there for detailed photos of specific engines which I achieved and despite the relative flatness, the scenery on the whole is quite pleasant.

Western Thunderer
I had a very enjoyable day on the line in 2019. What they have achieved since I was last there in the early 80's is absolutely incredible. I found the restoration quality of the infrastructure to be top notch and not the least bit dull, the stations at Broadway and Cheltenham are wonderful, they still have what looks like the original race day fencing. Broadway wasn't finished then, but again the reconstruction this time was very well done.

It's the small details that make it, such as using contemporary typefaces for signage. Something I also wish the model rivet counters would get right. It's all very well getting the correct this and that, but then using a typeface designed in the 1990's just ruins it for me.
Tony

IMG_20190818_104417.jpgIMG_20190818_132520.jpgIMG_20190818_104455.jpgIMG_20190818_104358.jpgIMG_20190818_114607.jpgIMG_20190818_164252.jpgIMG_20190818_164222.jpgIMG_20190818_122136.jpg

Last edited:

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I spent a year working near Bishops Cleeve and the GWSR was a good place to unwind at lunch time and explore at weekends. Here are some favourites from 2011.

Greet.jpeg
Greet.
Prescott.jpeg
Prescott.

Racecourse.jpeg
Racecourse.

Southam.jpeg
Southam.

Combined_2.jpeg
Panorama at Greet might suit compact layout :)

Last edited:

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Did you go to the Swan at Broadway ? That was an occasional haunt during my time at BBC Wood Norton in the late 80's.

Ian

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Did you go to the Swan at Broadway ? That was an occasional haunt during my time at BBC Wood Norton in the late 80's.

Ian
No. I rarely went to Broadway at all. My favourite haunts with the camera were the railway bridge over the Avon near Eckington and a level crossing on an unclassified road near Tredington, here are a couple of favourites.

DSCF0369.jpeg
17:28 on Friday 18 March 2011, an evening after work. Voyagers are easier because you get two goes.

DSCF0777.jpeg
12:13 on Wednesday 6 April 2011, a lunch break.