7mm Wanted a Y10 body

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I've bought two Dapol Sentinels, for a 7mm micro layout based on the east Anglian harbours, and I'd like to convert one to a Y10. Before I start scratch building, has anyone already produced a kit or 3D print of a Y10 body?

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Geoff,
Impetus did one many years ago but I suspect they are as common as rockinghorse droppings now.
If you want to explore the world of shapeways this guy has a 4mm version
Might be worth asking about a rescale as he does do some 7mm bits. Unlike some other shapeways shops he lists the better quality material as an option (at a price of course).
Usual disclaimer, no connection, not a customer.
Rob

adrian

Flying Squad
I've bought two Dapol Sentinels, for a 7mm micro layout based on the east Anglian harbours, and I'd like to convert one to a Y10. Before I start scratch building, has anyone already produced a kit or 3D print of a Y10 body?
Hi,

Nothing to my knowledge apart from the Impetus kit which is rarer than Backwood Miniature kits.

Having scratchbuilt 2, one commercially as Cherry Scale Models and one for my own collection, Scratch built LNER Y10 Sentinel - Cherry Clan I don't think you'll have any trouble scratch building one.

There is a good drawing available here.
Sentinel Steam Loco 7109

I built mine with the cabs removable to make painting easier. So I built up the footplate and the centre water tank as one unit. Each cab is simply a square box with a roof and they bolt down onto the footplate. I picked it because at the time I was in rented digs and my workbench consisted of a Black and Decker workmate and a selection of hand tools.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
this guy has a 4mm version
Thanks, Rob. I've come across Newman Miniatures before, as I mostly model early railways. I'll check them out.
Having scratchbuilt 2
Thank you Adrian, I did see photos of yours when I searched online.
To expand on what I'm thinking of:
I'm hoping to build a Y10 body that would fit snuggly over the Dapol chassis without needing screws etc. My plan is to also have a 04 diesel, a J70, and possibly that Hunslet 0-4-0 (which all have skirts) as alternative bodies. I just run the loco into the fiddle siding and swap the body over. This would add operating interest and save quite a bit of expense, on a micro layout which would only have one engine in steam at a time.