HO Venturing across The Pond.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I have, for more years than I wish to own, had a love for the American prototype. Whilst the 'Big Names' have fascinated me in their time, I must confess a preference for East Coast roads sooner than the larger West Coast systems. To this end, some little time back I acquired a batch of principally Southern RR material. This has lain unused since arrival apart from testing the locos and a little tidying up. I did try to sell it on, but the interest level was nil and as it doesn't require feeding, I hung on to it.

Those of greater knowledge than mine will know all about the Southern now being part of the vast Norfolk Southern empire - ah! the old N&W - another fascinating road, but don't get me started! As I just intend to now use my stock to portray a generic scene of embedded track with delivery points and bags of shunting at a point in time when NS had just been created and much stock remained with original reporting marks, this allows a scene somewhere in the southern states (or Confederacy if you will :rolleyes:) where the former Southern reigned supreme. It also allows stock with early NS markings to appear without question, too.

This is my new project - it will be a working diorama as much as anything and my approach to this may offend many modellers of this type of era, scene or railway, who are perfectionists/realists, but for me Rule One applies and not only to me but to anyone else's layout too! Never having visited the USA, this is will be an amalgam of what I have seen in modelling magazines, books, films and videos from many sources and even from a membership of a few years in the NMRA a long time back. Work is under way - the principal baseboard is made and I just have a little more construction to accommodate fiddle yard sidings -or cassettes - still unsure on that one :confused:.

The idea is to have a nice comfortable project indoors that is not space hungry and the foregoing seems to fit the bill. As my years advance, the need to go out in cold weather to a garage or shed, where my other layouts live, is less than attractive in autumn and winter particularly. This new idea can be managed in my little 'den' indoors :thumbs:.

To paraphrase from the film's featuring Fu Manchu - "The Forum will here from me again!"

Roger;).

jonte

Western Thunderer
“The forum will here from me again!” (Confucius ~ 12.37pm today). ;)

I certainly hope,so, Roger.

Sounds a great idea which seems to fit the bill all round, and I admire your extensive knowledge of the Dark Side; or at least the East Side of the Dark Side :confused:

Incidentally, with regard to your fiddleyard query, here’s a sector plate neatly ‘scenicked’ on another Dark Side project which I watched earlier and thought might be of use?

It’s ~ 1:57 in from the beginning:

Good luck!

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Incidentally, with regard to your fiddleyard query, here’s a sector plate neatly ‘scenicked’ on another Dark Side project which I watched earlier and thought might be of use?

It’s ~ 1:57 in from the beginning:

Good luck!

Jon
Thanks Jon - as another TV character from 'Rowan and Martin's Laugh In' was wont to say - "Very interesting......."

Roger.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Continuing to Venture........

May I thank those fellow Members who have offered help and encouragement to my winter project. It is most gratefully received and very welcome :thumbs:. If I may be permitted, I would like to add some further thoughts - some might generously say a form of progress :cool: - on my venturing across the Pond to the Confederacy. The principle source of my information so far has been the Internet - not perfect, but very informative in it's way. As an aside, I have noticed a similarity between present day operation in the states and the UK - all the principally used diesel locos look the same :eek: !

Thus, like many other railway modellers of all scenes and locations, I have chosen a much earlier period in time when there was some variety of types to be seen, which, IMHO adds to the variety and for me at least the pleasure of operating. Researching the railways has revealed a considerable amount of information, particularly the principal types of cargo carried by various lines. In light of this a review of my rolling stock has revealed certain shortcomings - but they can be rectified once things have progressed a little. Line-side industry that reflects the area and produce needs more looking at as well..........:confused:!

Trying to follow my own rule of not getting bogged down on a particular aspect and over-researching, I did tear myself away from the screen and do a bit of doodling. Using the now considered (by many) obsolete method of pencil and paper, my sketching has happily resulted in an idea of a track plan for the actual scenic area and it will be fed by cassettes. Having to 'think American' again was a bit of a trial, but I still had some books from which help and guidance was available. One I have finished tweaking the idea I will endeavour to draw a 'tidy' version and try to reproduce it on this thread. My apologies for the reluctance in my tone, but some of us octogenarians are not quite so 'tech savvy' as you young chaps ;) !

That's about it for now - but, to quote Arnie - "I'll be back!"

Roger :).

jonte

Western Thunderer
Continuing to Venture........

May I thank those fellow Members who have offered help and encouragement to my winter project. It is most gratefully received and very welcome :thumbs:. If I may be permitted, I would like to add some further thoughts - some might generously say a form of progress :cool: - on my venturing across the Pond to the Confederacy. The principle source of my information so far has been the Internet - not perfect, but very informative in it's way. As an aside, I have noticed a similarity between present day operation in the states and the UK - all the principally used diesel locos look the same :eek: !

Thus, like many other railway modellers of all scenes and locations, I have chosen a much earlier period in time when there was some variety of types to be seen, which, IMHO adds to the variety and for me at least the pleasure of operating. Researching the railways has revealed a considerable amount of information, particularly the principal types of cargo carried by various lines. In light of this a review of my rolling stock has revealed certain shortcomings - but they can be rectified once things have progressed a little. Line-side industry that reflects the area and produce needs more looking at as well..........:confused:!

Trying to follow my own rule of not getting bogged down on a particular aspect and over-researching, I did tear myself away from the screen and do a bit of doodling. Using the now considered (by many) obsolete method of pencil and paper, my sketching has happily resulted in an idea of a track plan for the actual scenic area and it will be fed by cassettes. Having to 'think American' again was a bit of a trial, but I still had some books from which help and guidance was available. One I have finished tweaking the idea I will endeavour to draw a 'tidy' version and try to reproduce it on this thread. My apologies for the reluctance in my tone, but some of us octogenarians are not quite so 'tech savvy' as you young chaps ;) !

That's about it for now - but, to quote Arnie - "I'll be back!"

Roger :).

Rear of envelopes and fag packets are my bag, Roger ;)

Curious to see what you come up with :thumbs:

Best,

Jon

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
When I started to look at the NYC System, Roger, I began to feel very overwhelmed with the amount of information on this line. Sometimes I just felt I needed too much space.
I totally agree with you though the simple approach is the best, a small fragment of the vast system is certainly better than just dreaming. A loco or two and a handful of wagons to start off with.
No matter how many times I draw out a scheme (always on paper!!) you keep coming back to a few sidings to "switch"
Enjoy
All the best
Julian

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Keeping those interested appraised of my latest conclusions regarding planning:

I have spent further considerable time researching the diorama and shelf-layout schemes. Like you, Julian, I found my ideas always ending up needing more space :headbang:. Some assurance was gained from the writings of the late Iain Rice that dioramas ideally should not exceed six feet (ca 1800mm for those who are unfamiliar with Imperial measurements) and my 'shelf' is five feet and six inches by twenty-one inches wide (ca 1650mm by 525mm) so that box is ticked.:thumbs: Obviously cassettes for 'fiddle yard' use will theoretically extend it but that is allowable, so it seems.

Then we come to evolving a workable track plan. My intention was always a shunting layout and to this end I found a layout called "A revised Time-Saver" by John Flann which appears on the internet with permission of the Model Railroader who published it originally. Whilst a little larger than my space it seems to be an ideal upon which to finalise my ideas. Something based on it -not a slavish copy :eek: I hasten to add -would seem very suitable. I'm afraid the fag-packets have run out, Jon, so it's back to pencil and paper, or actually laying track pieces out on the board so that it is practical, not finding out that the plan on paper doesn't work in practice :rolleyes:. This latter has happened to me before and it resulted in insufficient clearances - say no more:confused:!

So that's where I am now - getting the track supplies out of storage and making my own version, incorporating ideas and schemes suggested by this layout.

Stay well, out there.

Roger ;)

michael mott

Western Thunderer
It all sounds interesting Roger, where I live I don’t get to see much but 2 mile long train’s passing at level crossings. There is a large marshaling yard at the north end of Edmonton, the city where I live, but not much to see. There is a steam train that runs on a regular timetable or Fort Edmonton park during the summer. The film industry used the railway for the filming of the Assassination of Billy the kid.
Michael

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger, yes I agree with you about the planning and clearances. It is all very well to take the lengths of the stock, but what I have found is that 50' freight cars have a large overhang when clearing points. This adds substantially to the length of the tracks. Funny though I have found the equivalent length wagons (British stock) do not. A 4 wheeled wagon in 7mm is about the same as a 40' HO US freight car.
Enjoy the planning and play trains....
All the best
Julian

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger, yes I agree with you about the planning and clearances. It is all very well to take the lengths of the stock, but what I have found is that 50' freight cars have a large overhang when clearing points. This adds substantially to the length of the tracks. Funny though I have found the equivalent length wagons (British stock) do not. A 4 wheeled wagon in 7mm is about the same as a 40' HO US freight car.
Enjoy the planning and play trains....
All the best
Julian
I couldn't agree more with your observations, Julian. I have sold off a number of 50' cars already and am working on the basis of 40' maximum cars - it shows a little more promise in the planning stage so far ;) ! I must confess that I found these problems easier to manage when I was doing 7mm but that is now history and it's onward's and upwards in H0 :thumbs:.

Roger

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Interesting project Roger, me & thee really do share the same interests. I'm planning something similar only in S scale.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Si
I'm still playing around with the design, Si. I reckon I shall have to enlarge the board a tad to avoid the constant collision with brick-walls I am having :headbang:. Never mind - I'll get there in the end - I hope!

Roger :thumbs:.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
It is with great sadness that I have to report the abandonment of this intended layout.

The discovery of a serious condition, health-wise, has resulted in my having to severely reduce my level of activities, including modelling by a considerable amount. At my age, I have had a good innings and with a bit of luck a modest amount may yet be to come, but we all have to go sooner or later. Thus, layout construction from scratch must take a final bow leaving me time to relax with Wodorf and Pence East, both now at the stage of being 'well on' and just requiring detailing, the heavy work being taken care of now.

To those fans of the US scene, my regrets at leaving your happy band. The stock is now being given away in return for a small charitable donation to raise a few bob for The Gurkha Welfare Trust.

My other threads will continue on WT as and when there is news and pictures fit to print.

Cheers,

Roger :thumbs: