V2 4 wheel parcel van1/32 and G3

simond

Western Thunderer
I will get to Didcot at some point. The problem is the transport system. The M20 & M25 are chaotically full, and/or dug up most of the time, and the trains are somewhat disrupted currently, so getting in and out of Kent is tedious, but I will have a go when the opportunity presents.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Simon Thanks for this, In looking at the pictures of the model it appears that the main principles between my interpretation of the brake system is similar, and is that we have positioned the fixed post at opposite ends of the wheel Mine being outboard and Kitpw's being inboard.
My model sits patiently upside-down awaiting your trip to didcot, or anyone else who happens to get there.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
August came early. A damp day at Didcot yesterday provided a wealth of info for the match truck, hopefully enough info for the coal hole drawbridges, and some photos under a coach with Dean brakes. Happily, the coach is indoors! I hope I have captured enough info

IMG_8059.jpegIMG_8058.jpegIMG_8057.jpegIMG_8056.jpegIMG_8055.jpegIMG_8054.jpegIMG_8053.jpegIMG_8052.jpeg

simond

Western Thunderer
It appears that the outboard brake blocks are held together by a transverse rod which connects the hanger pivots at the blocks. This stops them sliding outboard down the coning, whilst also locating the fulcrum points of the levers.

The inboard brake lever pivots are fixed by the posts, braced by a cross bar and the diagonal tension members.

one of the two light chains is actually still connected to the transverse rod, presumably they are safety chains

hope it all makes sense
Simon

Last edited:

magmouse

These pictures are very helpful, Simon - thank you.

Nick (who is wrestling with the Dean outside-linked brake gear on a D&S kit for an N4 horse box)

simond

Western Thunderer
Nick,

Pleased to have helped.

the vehicle is in a shed next to the dreadnaught coach whose restoration has just begun. The one I had intended to photograph was both outside in the rain, and in a staff-only siding, so I was particularly delighted to find this one!

cheers
Simon

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
August came early. A damp day at Didcot yesterday provided a wealth of info for the match truck, hopefully enough info for the coal hole drawbridges, and some photos under a coach with Dean brakes. Happily, the coach is indoors! I hope I have captured enough info
So glad you finally made it :)

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Simon many thanks for your time and tenacity to get and share this information. I am so grateful for the support and happy that I appear to be on the right track.
Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Michael,

I'm pleased to have done it too!

three observations on your picture in #144 if I may:

there needs to be a transverse tie rod between the outboard brake blocks

the outboard levers are cranked to bring the pull rods below the axle

there’s a safety loop below the additional cross-bar between the pillars for the inboard levers, to prevent the pull rods falling down if they become disconnected.

then, I think you’ve got it!

cheers
Simon

magmouse

the outboard levers are cranked to bring the pull rods below the axle

They are cranked differently at each end, if it is like the shorter WB versions. The crank allows the pull rods to go either above or below the axle, according to whether they connect with the top or the bottom of the double crank on the cross shaft that the vac cylinder connects to. (I hope that makes sense…).

See the carriage truck drawings posted by @Dog Star earlier in the thread:

V2 4 wheel parcel van

The end views show the cranked arms to give you a sense of the shape of them.

Nick.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
It has been a while posting on this thread and now I have all the relevant information to move forward, that said I am leaning toward making this van in G3 or 17/32nd scale or 1/22.6 scale whichever nomenclature one prefers. so I am currently working on updating my cad Drawing to reflect all the new information plus I am going to make the frame out of metal. and the body out of wood with some very fine aircraft plywood and some of the fine Castillo hardwood that i have for the framing. I have redrawn the wheels already and made a start on their construction. The larger scale will make building this van a bit easier on my nerves I think.

Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I am hoping that someone has some information about the buffer springing on the Early 4 wheel coaching frames the overall picture of the 4 wheel frame on the Didcot site does not show the springs as the plate at the end of the frame covers them. None of the drawings in Russell’s book shows them. From the text the V2 likely had a wood buffer beam, although the frame was metal. I am making a guess as to the layout of the frame members based on the pictures that Simon posted.
IMG_2173.jpeg
A screenshot of my frame plan and a close up of my interpretation of the buffer spring configuration.
A metal member backs up the wood buffer beam the stabilizing beam has a plate to increase the thickness at the hole where the buffer shaft passes through. A collar is attached to the shaft and the spring is captured between the collar and the frame.
Michael

Attachments

• IMG_2172.jpeg
    IMG_2172.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 0

simond

Western Thunderer
Ah, well, now, if you’d asked, i’d have photographed that bit too!

I'm sure I’ll be back at Didcot at some point this year
atb
Simon

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Pete, thanks for this. I had considered drawing it up that way as well, that also logically makes sense since it appears that there is a shaft that is connected to something just beyond the cross beam that runs down the center in Simon’s pictures. I’m the shorter 4wheel frame the longitudinal beams are not back to back like the longer bogie frames. And in the wagon drawings the coupling hooks are connected with a separate spring in the center. So it would make sense to have the leaf springs double up as the hook springs as well.
Michael