Prototype US Permanent Way

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

Does anyone have any information or know of a resource to give me sleeper spacings for US short line permanent way?

Cheers,

Ian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

Does anyone have any information or know of a resource to give me sleeper spacings for US short line permanent way?

Cheers,

Ian
Depends on weight of rail I think you'll find, heavier rail....closer ties.

Also may be Railroad and era dependent.

This is Union Pacific Track Standards for 1974. Note, in the US rail joints are staggered, not parallel like Europe and probably most of the world.

CE-Drawing-82632_Tie-Spacing_1974-X4.jpg

Last edited:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Ian,
Would it not depend on what period is being modelled?
Mickoo's diagram is for 131/133 Lb rail which is quite heavyweight stuff.
I can't find anything on tie spacing for the Frisco but I did find a map that shows how lightly laid a lot of the system was in 1955.
slsf_rail_wt_map.jpg
Map from Frisco.org
I would imagine that a 'typical' shortline would use about 75/80lb rail with a tie spacing similar to Nos 4 and 5 on Mickoo's chart, at least it would look like a shortline............

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

1960's to 1970's era, mainly diesels, but the occasional steam locomotive as well. I was looking at #4 as probably the best option for sleeper/tie spacing.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Printable templates are fine as long as they fit the plan. It's already roughed out in Templot, ready for fine tuning. I'm not sure if the person it is for could justify the outlay on the Fast Tracks jigs.
Hi Ian,

Understandable....was thinking more of the tie's,as the switches will have closer spacing than the running lines off of them.

Brian.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Hi Brian,

Printable templates are fine as long as they fit the plan. It's already roughed out in Templot, ready for fine tuning. I'm not sure if the person it is for could justify the outlay on the Fast Tracks jigs.
I didn't bother buying the jigs, just printed out the templates and used them as a guide.