7mm US model dabblings

mickoo

Western Thunderer
With all these brass locos swilling around, I thought you already had..?? :rolleyes: :)) :thumbs:
The GP30 was cheaper than recent Heljan RTR offerings, the Big Boy about the same cost as a big Finney7 or MOK Kit when you add wheels and motor/gearbox, just depends where you're prepared to place your hard earned $$.

I didn't 'need' either nor are they what I call primary interest prototypes that really grab me. but I know both will not loose value and are therefore considered at minimum as investments.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Although I luv'em I didn't need the ATSF SD26 I picked up in a deal many years ago. So a happy Dutchman went home with it in the 70s. Then ... then ... felt like almost immediately, Guilford bought a load and frequently ran them thru' onto the D&H ....:eek:....... :'(
ST 4673

Stay lucky in 2022!
Jason

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Like Mick says, if you buy wisely US Brass is usually a good investment and its a lot more fun than counting your money in a bank or building society.

A contact via a friend had a fair amount of 1:20.3 scale items for disposal, all as new and unused, and buying a number of items as a job lot gave a price offer too tempting to resist. The only problem with this large scale stuff is it takes up so much damn room ! Among the items was this Accucraft Mason Bogie, something I've always fancied but never expected to get my hands on, let alone a mint as new example.

Mason Bogie SAN JUAN 001B.jpg

Mason Bogie SAN JUAN 002B.jpg

Maybe not to everyone's taste, but I think these are a work of art. Based on the Fairlie principle they are in effect single Fairlies, and the Denver South Park & Pacific RR had 23 of these 2‑6‑6Ts and four similar 2‑8‑6Ts. They had relatively short lives, being replaced by heavier and more powerful 2-8-0s and this particular example, built in 1878, was scrapped in 1889.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
And very nice indeed it is, too. :thumbs:
Fortunately for me it's not suitable for a Soo Line example, as their's all ran on Alco trucks from traded-in FA-1s. ;)
Shame eh ;)

Ironically I need a dynamic braked version, so I'm hoping those plates for the grills and fans come off reasonably easily. I could do a CSX slug and BNSF have some converted to GP93E, 2R and -3 but all still require dynamics as far as I can see.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
More box opening therapy, this time from the $ shop end of the spectrum.

You don't see many 2 rail factory RTR so when this demo M-2 popped up for a silly price then it had to come home with me, it was supposed to be a running model but the technicians tick sheet seems to indicate otherwise with issues in DCS and AC. That's not a problem as the cab motor will go as will all other electrickery, it'll get a rewire and DCC eventually.

I've no need for a demo model, but a CN M-2 is another story and if push came to shove you only need to alter a few grills and panels to make an ACe or AH. A quick browse, rather long actually found virtually no CN decals out there that could be used, but by chance Circus City decals in the US did a set for the M-2 in 1:32, 1:87 and 1:160. A quick flurry of mails reveals virtually no demand but they would scale the 1:32 set for me for the same price and a minimum order of two, I bought three as I can use them on other planned models if need be. I also bought three sets of patched ATSF/BNSF yellow bonnet EMD units, specifically for my GP60 project or future GP38/40-2.

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

The model has been touched up in places and the walkways are peeling off in places but I have a plan for them as well as using them to hold brass hand rails when they arrive. It already has fine scale wheels (relative to the US market) so I'll just narrow the trucks (I'm working on new detailed 3D print replacements slowly and long term anyway) for the time being, new etched walkways and brass handrails. The fuel tank will go and that area tarted up.

I'm not looking to flog the RTR to death to match an OMI brass model type of scenario, if you do that then you may as well etch your own model. In this case I just want something that's a bit better than RTR and doesn't offend me too much, if you're not careful you can easily get swamped and end up doing nothing, there's 91 previous pages of living proof of that right here already :))

I'll probably throw on some new etched steps, maybe new metal pilot faces and replace the front door with a more accurate 3D one. The glazing I'd like to make thinner and more flush, that's probably the hardest aspect of the whole works in all honesty.

Anyway, moving on was another el cheapo 3R model, so I threw all in and picked that up as well. It's an MTH Southern Pacific SD50 dummy model, aka it has all the gears (usually) but no motor and may even have lights too.

Dummy models are actually good value, especially if like me you're stripping out cab end motors on other MTH models to day light the cab, very soon you end up with a box of spare MTH motors, it's not hard to grab one and throw it in the rear truck of your dummy engine and power it.
IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

I have no need for an SD50 and am not a fan of the SP SD50 at all....or I wasn't, but I do have to confess it does look rather smart and imposing. Sadly someone has been at this with the weathering broom, it might wash off but that depends on whether I keep it as SP, I did have more grandiose plans to be honest. Much as I like SP my interest lies in earlier generation models and much as I love my GEVO's I really have no appetite for them in SP colours or SD70M's either, much preferring tunnel motors or SD9's etc.

The SD50 didn't do too well for EMD, quite a short run before they moved onto the SD60, the biggest issue was pushing the old 645 block to compete with GE's new offerings, it was a step too far and the SD60 was end result. Much of the SD50 remained, almost all if web scribbling's are to be believed, the only big change was the primer mover to the new 710 block, internal electrical changes and a couple of extra doors at the rear under the rad cabinet, typically a change from six to eight, but I've seen SD60's with seven and BNSF are rebuilding some of their SD60M's with a few more detail changes.

Out of the box you can leave it as a SD50 with limited RR choices, or you can add the extra door/s (if the lack of it really offends you) and go for the SD60, moving forward from that for the adventurous you can then add the American safety cab (commonly called the Tri-clops cab) or better yet the upgraded safety cab found on the M model.

Like the M-2 I don't want to get all bogged down so narrow trucks, new walkways and steps, brass handrails if I can find some. The pilots are pure 3R so need fixing but also needs the gap filling, you can't just jack it up and fix it to the body sadly. In reality they'll get binned, quicker to scratch build a new face and step areas in all honesty. Same as the M-2 for the tank and try to get thinner and more flush glazing in there some how.

I also got some 2R finescale wheels to drop in, sadly they only had 4 truck versions which misses out the middle axle and the all essential helical gear for the motor worm, in which case I'll have to pull the 3R wheels off the middle axle and do the same with a spare set of 2R wheels, don't need to do both trucks as I'm only driving he rear one. I did also notice the 'flat spots' comment on one pack, rather odd given they were sold as factory packaged and appear to have no wear on them :eek::))

UP do the spartan cab version (seen here) as well as the Tri-clops and M, the spartan cab version does really show the length of these machines and I was never a fan of the UP Tri-clops, having said that the Tri-clops cab on the BN white cheek version is appealing, more so the more recent BNSF patched paint jobs and praise all things praiseworthy, BNSF even repainted some M cabs with the BNSF H2 cigar band nose logo scheme.

Of course I could just go and buy a RTR 60M and stop faffing around with this one ;)

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
You don't see many 2 rail factory RTR so when this demo M-2 popped up for a silly price then it had to come home with me, it was supposed to be a running model but the technicians tick sheet seems to indicate otherwise with issues in DCS and AC. That's not a problem as the cab motor will go as will all other electrickery, it'll get a rewire and DCC eventually.
If it was manufactured as 2 rail it will be DC, possibly with allowance for DCC. DCS and AC are only for 3 rail so the loco probably doesn't have any of the AC or DCS bits in it, which saves throwing them away.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
My understanding is that the MTH -2 line are Bi-mode models, they (should) have everything for 3R but have factory swapped out 3R wheels for scale 2R, they also have different pilot mouldings (full depth) which are screwed to the body and correct length step well ladders.

They come from the factory as 2R with scale wheels and often/should have 3R rollers in the box if you want to run 3R, they've configured the trucks to run on both set ups, you simply screw in or out the 3R rollers.

There are some 3R modellers who have more generous curves and keep the fixed pilots and 2R wheels, sort of a half way house approach.

The issue may be as simple as the change over switch not working or a loose wire, irrespective of all that, it'll all get binned anyway :))

I think MTH -1 line is pure 3R and the -3 line are dummies, typically 3R though. Having said that, MTH appear to have changed their catalogue system several times and there are Heritage and Premier lines as well, it is a bit of a mine field picking up the more detailed versions.

I was looking at two of their GP38-2, both premier line models, supposedly the best, yet one still had moulded hand rails and grab irons and over scaled windows and doors, the other was much better and more like the Atlas GP60 but not quite to the same level.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Mick, what diameter are those 4-pack wheels? 40"? Anyway, I have a spare unopened MTH 6-pack set of 42". Now I'm fretting so I've got to go and measure them in case they're 44"s!

I haven't got a firm grip on DCC/sound yet, but I'm happy enough with my 2-rail MTH ES44 and Atlas Dash-8. I say 'enough' because my main ... OK, one of my 'main' gripes about MTH is the handrails (to make $500 models suitable for handling by 4-year olds ... aaah 3-rail), and then there is anything happening below deck. I've been lazy and got some Atlas U23B pilot spacers (1/8" thick profiled plastic) to improve a Lionel U30C (1/8" thick) and fix it's pilots to the bodyshell. Oh, the handrails - stamped the wrong way round and carefully(!) painted to stand out below the deck.

Ah thank goodness, I can stop now, somebody's just posted something probably more useful....
Jason

Last edited:

JasonD

Western Thunderer
... yes, thanks Mick, as a cynic I've assumed the -2 line is for 3-railers who realise Lionel conned them into making a huge mistake. Oh, and a few 2-railers who accept the challenges: roof-end fans on MTH and K-Line(?) GP38-2 close together. Hasn't Jordan done that?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick, what diameter are those 4-pack wheels? 40"? Anyway, I have a spare unopened MTH 6-pack set of 42". Now I'm fretting so I've got to go and measure them in case they're 44"s!

I haven't got a firm grip on DCC/sound yet, but I'm happy enough with my 2-rail MTH ES44 and Atlas Dash-8. I say 'enough' because my main ... OK, one of my 'main' gripes about MTH is the handrails (to make $500 models suitable for handling by 4-year olds ... aaah 3-rail), and then there is anything happening below deck. I've been lazy and got some Atlas U23B pilot spacers (1/8" thick profiled plastic) to improve a Lionel U30C (1/8" thick) and fix it's pilots to the bodyshell. Oh, the handrails - stamped the wrong way round and carefully(!) painted to stand out below the deck.

Ah thank goodness, I can stop now, somebody's just posted something probably more useful....
Jason
Jason, these wheels are the same, they have a diameter of 22.55 mm which I work out at just above 42"

To be honest the 2" difference wouldn't phase me too much, I mean, there are much bigger scale differences on the rest of the model than make 4" differences in wheels insignificant :)) I mean, it only affects the overall height of the model by 0.53 mm :eek:

Whatever size they are I'll have them if you want rid of them, then I can use these four wheel packs for future B truck units as and when.

GP38-2 is one of those near impossible grail's in RTR I'm hearing/reading, you can heavily bash the Weaver unit and I've not yet looked in detail at the MTH or K Line versions. Problem is, there are more than enough variations in the real things that finding any RTR to match is going to be hard.

I'd also like some GP40-2 and a GP30-2W would be very welcome, just finding the right donor shell to begin the reworks.

I'm going to try for the Tri-clops cab on the SD50/60, it should be possible to 3D print it and get thinner window frames, it's a simple shape but 3D printers often struggle with keeping form and shape on large 'engineering' style objects, Dwarves, Wizards and underworld Hobgoblins are fine, but a simple cube, woah that's something they really appear to struggle with.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
I went halves with one of my sons on a 3D resin printer and he actually sold(!) some of the figures he did. I'm seeing him over Christmas so I'll leave him my list, Santa's not reliable enough at my age.

Now Mick what's a GP30-2W, or is it the routine 'does anyone read these posts' deliberate typing error? I do have a GP40-2W cab/wide nose kit by Kaslo Shops (4 windscreen type). I think it was developed with the Weaver GP38~2 in mind. Des Plaines have done etched parts for 38/40 fan tops.
O Kits.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Jason,

It's a typo and you passed the test :thumbs: Should read GP40-2W.

Didn't know anyone had already done a cab for them, is it any good, got any pictures. The same cab can be used on the SD40-2W and some early Dash 8's/9's ? for CN/BCR

JasonD

Western Thunderer
If you look at the link, the image enlarges when hovered over.

Just keep chanting 'model railroads' Jason, no-one wants to try and understand why the computer's annoyed you THIS time.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yeah I can see it, looks like a resin mould, hard to see the surface quality, I'll try a 3D print and use this as a fall back if necessary :thumbs: