4mm Unnamed freight only shunting layout

matto21

Western Thunderer
An excellent picture, Matt. Do you have any more?

Brian

Hi Brian, stupidly I don't, I was far too interested in things and forgot to take pictures!

I've finished the brake van. Many errors I'm sure but I'm pleased with it nonetheless and it's another half-built model completed.

LMSBV4.jpg

LMSBV3.jpg
I'm bored with bauxite now so I'm going to do something grey/yellow for some variety!

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Happy Bank Holiday!

Another day, another brake van!

I've always had a soft spot for the BR 20t brake vans. I had several of the old Airfix/Dapol ones but was pretty pleased when Hornby released the all-new version a few years ago.

What I wasn't pleased with was the drooping and floppy handrails on my model so I chopped them off and then forgot all about it.

Seeing as I'm in the mood for completing half-built models at the moment, I dug it out for completion.

When you disassemble the body and remove the inner ends and the floor, it becomes quite fragile and vulnerable to damage and I promptly snapped one end off completely so some repairs were needed.

I've made some basic additions to the "underneath bits" just to bring it in line with my other stock visually. Hornby supply pipes, but to my eye they're ever so slightly overscale so I used some spares from Lanarkshire Models.

Just need to replace the handrails with wire, then it's ready for painting - yellow/grey this time!

04.jpg

If this goes well, I've got another to do too. I probably shouldn't keep filling this thread up with stock projects but it's more convenient than a separate workbench thread!

Matt

AJC

Western Thunderer
Very nice! Are these available as singles now? I really can't justify the expenditure/hassle of buying three and moving one or two on (and have a couple of etched examples to build).

Adam

MarkR

Western Thunderer
My single hopper has just been delivered by our friendly Parcelforce driver. Ordered a couple of days ago. Numbered 61 out of 500.
Mark

Reactions: AJC

matto21

Western Thunderer
One aspect of the layout that has been bugging me is the low relief background building. Not the size or shape, just the fact it has no real purpose being so close to the line. What it needs is some sort of loading/unloading bay.

A while back I built a garage, intended for the front of the layout. Plans have changed and it's now surplus to requirements. I do like the door though!

A bit of destruction later...

A01.jpg

And some chopping and cutting...

A02.jpg

Not finished obviously, but I'm pleased with the difference it's made.

Matt