Photo Trackwork of concern

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
[with a nod to Sir Alec Clifton taylor for the title]

My first idea was to start a topic for photos of prototype trackwork which is concerning in some way. On further thought this topic can be used as a Scrapbook of best intents... maybe those who hanker after building their own PW might be persuaded to share pikkies.

Any way, to start - the photo below has been provided by another WT as an example to make one think. The original is likely to have been recorded by a GER photographer and probably in the early years of the twentieth century, say 1900 to 1910. The location is Stonea in East Anglia, to the south east of March:-

stonea.jpg

Found the concerning part yet? Try this enlargement:-

stonea_crossover.jpg

If you need a pointer, look at the sleepers between the two crossings... unless I am mistaken then some of the sleepers for the "crossover road" do not support both rails of the crossover line.

What might you say to any layout team if you spotted something similar at an exhibition?

regards, Graham

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
It's an odd look - although something tells me that there's an optical illusion at play (if you're referring to the sleeper I've outlined in orange that seems to be going to nowhere)...

Attachments

• sleepers.png
    sleepers.png
    430.1 KB · Views: 101

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The sleeper that you have outlined in orange, at the right hand end, is passing under both legs of the crossing vee and then "stops". If you look further to the right of the crossing vee then there are at least three "sleeper ends" between the rails of the crossover road... and something like 8 feet between sleepers that are holding the rails to gauge.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Where is Jordan as he loves and has done enough of this to be able to write a book, track spikes and all

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Jordan rather prompted this topic with his suggestion of an "alternative" style of magasine which, with the subsequent suggestion of archive articles, lead me along the lines of "prototype for everything" or even "Bazzing Around" (who remembers those offerings from Bernard Wright in Model Railways????).

FS or S7, HO or OO-SF/EM/P4, the essence of the initial post was to highlight some shocking / scandalous / comical trackwork from the great age of Victorian steam railways.

regards, Graham

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Found the funny part yet? Try this enlargement:-
View attachment 34425

When this photo was posted I thought the funny part was the check rail on the cross over line.
One thing that does look consistent is that the main line sleepers do all run under both main running rails, with a few sleepers spanning four rails. I have a couple of thoughts on this.
1) did the G.E.R. use interlaced sleepers on their point work at one time? If that is the case some of the short sleepers have been replaced with long ones. Or.
2) some of the sleepers have rotted and the bad bits have been cut off and new bits inserted as near as possible to the old position, only inserting long sleepers that would cover four rails as and when to just keep the rails in alinement?

OzzyO.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
In case peeps think that the first photo is a "one-off", a bit of bad workmanship/poor maintenance then consider this photo of Manor Park:-

Manor Park GER.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you Colin.

To paraphrase:- there is nowt as queer as the LNER and its subsidiaries (or the GER and the Eastern Counties) when dealing with PW.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Can I raise a point of Order.
The title distinctly says "comedy".... those diagrams are making my brain hurt. Are we now writing Comedies with no laughs at all??
Memo from Chair of Topic to Editor of New Magasine - comment noted, action taken.

The revised title of this topic covers the initial post and the recent paparazzi shot of testing new P48 products at Dale HQ.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I've posted this before.......... but here it is again 'cause I enjoy it :D

Col.

Now that's just taking the P188! Absolutely wonderful. Where and when, Col? Any ideas? I thought initially it may be one of the sugar cane lines in Cuba but I'm now leaning towards somewhere Far East.

Brian

Osgood

Western Thunderer
However bizarre, you have to admire the skill in making that work! Would the overhang disqualify the creator given it must be a 'space' challenge?

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
minimum erection time and no van hire at exhibitions, let down by ensuring that the stock is correctly placed on the track. Wonder how long it took to work out the length of the coupling and rigidity on the 'climber'?
Great all the same.
cheers
Mike