Too good to ignore.

Renovater

Western Thunderer
Being essentially narrow gauge in my research i do come across some SG photos which are too good to pass by. Here is one i found yesterday on a French auction by a French seller which made me think it's rare, possibly a Bulldog or similar, photo on card. Hoping the photo isn't already known.
903_0010.jpg

Last edited:

michael080

Western Thunderer
The Finney7 GA-drawings show various examples of these machines. My ignorant guess would be a Straight frame Bulldog as shown on Fig.1

"Fig 1. Straight Frame Bulldog, showing D2 boiler, no top feed, short non-superheat smokebox, fluted coupling rods, small cab cut-out (Lot 124), steel roof with side rain strips, single sandbox inset into footplate, screw reverse"

aah, ooh, no tapered boiler!! Ignore my babble...

Michael

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Maybe although I shall put my money on E. Pouteau as being either the photographer or the publisher (of the card in which case the photographer might be Tod). The periodical "Railway Archive" ran a series on the cards published by Pouteau and the GWR section of the list provides details of engine / location so finding either of the Atbaras shown ought to be easy (just need to find my copies).

regards, Graham

Renovater

Western Thunderer
Maybe although I shall put my money on E. Pouteau as being either the photographer or the publisher (of the card in which case the photographer might be Tod). The periodical "Railway Archive" ran a series on the cards published by Pouteau and the GWR section of the list provides details of engine / location so finding either of the Atbaras shown ought to be easy (just need to find my copies).

regards, Graham
I may have confused some of you on here, when i said in my orignal post "photo on card" i didn't mean postcard, it's an original photo fixed onto card, sorry for any confusion.

Renovater

Western Thunderer
A very similar post to my first one on this thread. Whilst doing research for another project i've come across another rare, or virtually unknown too good to ignore image of a GW loco in a French book from the 1890's, it could very well be the same location as the first image on here. Nearly a side-on shot, i like the flare to the front bottom of the cab to clear the wheel, nice touch. 3021 Wigmore castle.

ggyh10.jpg

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
The bus is clearly leaning more than the table, due to the suspension. 4 degrees more seems reasonable. No harm in checking…

I had a long and eventually unfruitful negotiation with the Indian version of the Ministry of Transport to contract to create such a test rig some 15 years ago.

They did have some wonderful test rigs there including the swinging log, more akin to a siege engine than a modern means of validation !