Tom Mallard’s Workbench L&B in 7mm scale and clockwork CR 828, 4mm Saints

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
YEO pipework 1.jpg
YEO pipework 2.jpg

After a slow patch with too many things to think about getting in the way, much of the unexpectedly time consuming pipe runs for the vacuum pipe and steam heat pipework have been installed. They are really a case of artistic metalworking, as even if there were a drawing, forming such an irregular shape is a challenge. The elbow joints are built up from mitred sleeves on the vacuum pipe. The carriage warming pipe was harder to replicated as the lagging is modelled. This is brass foil strips wound around the rod of a diameter large enough to imply the right thickness of lagging. Elbows are made of rod and pinned to the long pieces.

The swan necks are built up from wire and turnings as required. To get the sharp bend in the top, the material is annealed and worked overlength. A cut is made halfway through on the inside of the bend and then closed up, with the process repeated until the correct form was achieved. The curve can be manipulated and improved using pieces of rod with a close fitting hole and a beveled end to thread the workpiece onto which can then be used as a press tool to set the angle...

Like I say, it has been tricky. Harder than the wheelsets almost. The sanding rods are also now made: strips of sheet bent over and little profile milled bell cranks. The support for the long rod is a turning with the end part filed to shape and a rectangular hole cut into it.

Do enjoy your modelling.

Tom

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
IMG_2385.JPG

Further daft stuff, the front and rear couplings completed. The L&B saw fit to remove the tensioner from the front and the chopper from the rear, which makes modelling them a bit quicker. The body and chopper are castings from 3D printed waxes, the screw and tommy bar fabricated, the remainder profile machined and turned as required. I have made a representation of the volute spring to sit in the spring pocket but haven't made it functional. I wasn't sure how it would behave or how long it would last.

Thankyou so much for the feedback and comments. Not far to go now.

Tom

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
IMG_2598.JPGIMG_2616.JPG

After the fun and calming effects of moving house over the new year - and with it my workshop - the bodywork is now close to being ready for paint. It's the first time all the bodywork parts and subassemblies have been put together so it is very pleasing to have reached this arbitrary milestone.

Enormous effort went into resolving the bunker coping and so-on which were fitted by Pilton staff. When the coal is added I think these will be OK. So many little things have been added that I can't think of many specific things...

The handrail knobs are the correct pattern, from a homemade form tool with the holes drilled in the classically lewd Tony Reynalds way of "trapping your knob in a door hinge". What he went on to explain is that a hole is drilled through both leaves of the hinge, lightly countersunk on the inside faces to suit and the part held between these faces to allow the drill to make the hole centrally.

The chassis obviously will now pass through a similar process of checks and revision to ensure proper appearance and function. I am hoping it won't take as long to do.

These iphone snaps are here as I wanted to put something up as a marker.

Best regards

Tom

Last edited:

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
MW YEO EXE assembled 3 070423.JPG
MW YEO EXE assembled 070423.JPG
MW YEO EXE assembled 02 070423.JPG
MW YEO EXE assembled 9 080423.JPGMW YEO EXE assembled 5 080423.JPG

Now more or less ready for some paint, the models are complete minus a few things that aren't dependent on being painted yet. YEO and EXE are to be finished in full Southern Railway livery so should evoke many images taken of the Lynton and Barnstaple in its final months.

Clearance is a real problem around the motion bracket in what is a very congested area (as it is on the prototype), so work must be done here to refine the running.

The accumulation of small details on the bufferbeams is particularly pleasing, though it's only once the rest of the model comes together that this stands out. However, some details have disappeared into the gloom beneath the footplate which is a shame since they all took so long to make!

Please ask questions if there's anything specific you'd like to know about the models.

Best regards

Tom

Edited 080423 to include some better lit images...

Last edited:

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
View attachment 184386
View attachment 184387
View attachment 184388
View attachment 184394View attachment 184395

Now more or less ready for some paint, the models are complete minus a few things that aren't dependent on being painted yet. YEO and EXE are to be finished in full Southern Railway livery so should evoke many images taken of the Lynton and Barnstaple in its final months.

Clearance is a real problem around the motion bracket in what is a very congested area (as it is on the prototype), so work must be done here to refine the running.

The accumulation of small details on the bufferbeams is particularly pleasing, though it's only once the rest of the model comes together that this stands out. However, some details have disappeared into the gloom beneath the footplate which is a shame since they all took so long to make!

Please ask questions if there's anything specific you'd like to know about the models.

Best regards

Tom

Edited 080423 to include some better lit images...
Tom,

The quality of modelling and attention to detail is absolutely outstanding. As someone who is privileged to drive Lyd on an irregular basis I can vouch for the fidelity to the real thing.

Nigel

Western Thunderer
These look absolutely amazing. I have been trying to work out from previous postings, am I correct in thinking you have built models of all four? Are they 14mm gauge?

Martin

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
Tom,

The quality of modelling and attention to detail is absolutely outstanding. As someone who is privileged to drive Lyd on an irregular basis I can vouch for the fidelity to the real thing.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel, that is a very encouraging endorsement! I think that LYD and the models have both made use of the works drawings for LEW...
These look absolutely amazing. I have been trying to work out from previous postings, am I correct in thinking you have built models of all four? Are they 14mm gauge?

Martin
Thankyou Martin. I didn't set out to build models of all four though I did offer clients the opportunity to select any one they wished as a model. There is a third model (pre-grouping condition TAW) which is less advanced in terms of overall construction though it has all of its parts made and many of the subassemblies too. It just needs a bit of one to one attention to progress it. Yes, they are built for 14mm gauge track.

Best regards

Tom

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer