Just for a laugh

michael080

Western Thunderer
A Swiss guy, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two Englishmen are waiting.

"Entschuldigung, koennen Sie Deutsch sprechen?" he says.

The two Englishmen just stare at him.

"Excusez-moi, parlez vous Francais?"

The two continue to stare.

"Parlare Italiano?"

No response,

"Hablan ustedes Espanol?"

Still nothing.

The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first Englishman turns to the second and says, “Y'know, maybe we should learn a foreign language...."
"Why?" says the other, "That bloke knew four languages, and it didn't do him any good."

DavidB

Western Thunderer
A few years ago I was in Washington DC and took a walk around the north side of the White House. There were plenty of officials around (don't they love their uniforms?) with things like 'POLICE' and 'SECRET SERVICE' in large letters on their backs. Do you think the latter were rather missing the point? I have just culled this off Google maps (north side of the White House):

1713364139523.png

On a news report about one of the many shootings in the US, I even saw a 'Secret' service car with a web address!

I have mentioned this to several American friends. They couldn't understand why we were so amused!

steve1

Western Thunderer
A few years ago I was in Washington DC and took a walk around the north side of the White House. There were plenty of officials around (don't they love their uniforms?) with things like 'POLICE' and 'SECRET SERVICE' in large letters on their backs. Do you think the latter were rather missing the point? I have just culled this off Google maps (north side of the White House):

View attachment 213677

On a news report about one of the many shootings in the US, I even saw a 'Secret' service car with a web address!

I have mentioned this to several American friends. They couldn't understand why we were so amused!
When we were in Washington in 2019 there were similarly marked cars parked near the White House. Amused me too and they didn’t stop me taking photos either…

steve

Allen M

Western Thunderer
I had a day trip to Washington in 1990 as part of an East Coast visit.
While outside the Whitehouse several police cars arrived, men started walking about then a great cavalcade of car came out. I asked the officer by me if it was the president's car. His answer was along the lines 'yes, but he may have gone out the back door by himself'.
By the making something very obvious does it distract from the 'invisible' operation?
Allen