Rn@B.

Interesting stuff. Is this built directly onto the Lack shelf mentioned? If so how does that limit the mass that can be added onto the baseboard given the wall fixing?

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Interesting stuff. Is this built directly onto the Lack shelf mentioned? If so how does that limit the mass that can be added onto the baseboard given the wall fixing?

Morning Rn@B................

The short answer is yes. Everything has its limits.

The layout is on an IKEA table top. See below.

31ryhzrphWL._AC_.jpg

This table top lives on an IKEA LACK floating shelf screwed to the wall using the supplied bracketry augmented by a couple of L shelf brackets.

IKEA give conflicting weight bearing figures for this. Either 10kg or 15kg though I 'm pretty sure I have also seen 20kg. Big difference.

I place my faith in 15kg and work to this figure. However, I've not weighed Project X yet but I'm pretty confident that we are not close to that figure as of yet. The heaviest addition to the baseboard itself will be the DAS but one 1kg packet should easily do it.

Once we get close to exhibiting, I will need to add a backscene so this will obviously add to the weight.

This will probably be of 6mm MDF.

My other layouts on IKEA table tops live on furniture so weight is not so much of an issue but I still need to be able to carry them when exhibiting.

Rob.

Rn@B.

An earlier view........

View attachment 147564

Thank you for clarifying. I’d thought of building a module around a Lack shelf but I reckon the limit on the small ones is pretty low without a forward tilt of the bracket unless the weight is all at the back of the shelf against the wall. I’ve tested this on a shelf previously installed in our back bedroom and it the bracket starts to move before 10kg. The L shaped brackets had not been spotted by my eyes in your writings so far. These should fully mitigate what I foresaw as the problem in following this route. This picture makes great sense of your set up. Thanks for posting.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Evening all.

Thanks to a response to a wanted ad on the other channel, I secured a few more ground throws. That's the point control sorted in a nice traditional trainsetty sort of way.

Wiring up next then I should be able to start on the ground cover over the weekend.

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Despite the inconvenience of awaking with a trapped nerve in my shoulder yesterday, Project X is now wired and usable.

A pleasant hour was spent simply playing trains. There are one or two "issues" which I thought the trackplan would produce thereby providing some interest.

I have also improved upon fiddle yard arrangements and can now accomodate larger locos, something the Mk1 didn't.

Not sure what will evolve today but if all else fails, another "testing session" will no doubt be of benefit.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Thanks Geoff.

I'm quite happy with how things are evolving. Running has shown up where one or two slight tweaks are needed. Clearly I'll sort these out, prior to moving on.

This evening sees another example of what will be typical motive power in the form of a Hornby J15. This time we see 65469, a bit of a celebrity in it's day.

20210822_232416-01.jpeg
Slightly inaccurate in that in the condition modelled, it should have a stove pipe chimney. If I can pluck up the courage to remove the existing one, I shall replace with a brass example..............but I am in no rush.

20210823_205722-01.jpeg

Rob.