7mm The Rhubarb Triangle Line

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I am most impressed with Hattons delivery service - box of track ordered on Saturday evening delivered at 10 this morning.:thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
We got back early from our weekend in Kidderminster and while I was away I had read that Simon had finished wiring the circuit on his line. So I decided to cut the grass and since the sun was shining to make a start on the track for the line. First I laid it all out to see whether I had enough, sadly not but I am only about 6 or 7 lengths short and they are for the sidings so I can crack on with the main circuits.

IMG_0290_zpswtja40rj.jpg

IMG_0289_zpsdvhjlqk9.jpg

Once it was all laid out I made a start on soldering the dropper strips to the bottoms of the rails - after figuring it all out I managed to get about half of the outer circuit done so I am quite pleased with progress. Now the light nights are here I should be able make steady headway before working indoors after tea.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
A milestone was reached this evening. I have now soldered the droppers on all of the sections of track.

Next I need to figure out how to wire the turnouts for DCC - in 4mm it was easy I just inserted a staple like thing that Hornby produced.

I have never wired a turn out before so that should be a learning curve.

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Next I need to figure out how to wire the turnouts for DCC - in 4mm it was easy I just inserted a staple like thing that Hornby produced.

I have never wired a turn out before so that should be a learning curve.

Easy, Just make sure the frog is isolated and has its own power supply from the switch, and have a gap between the crossovers so as not to short!

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes, Isolate your frog!

The crossing should have 4 isolating fishplates - on both blades, and on the two rails leading out from the formation. You'll need a dropper from the crossing to the common contact of your polarity switch.

The stock rails are fed as normal, and beyond the formation, the other two rails should also be fed from the same supplies as the stock rails.

Wires from your stock rail feeds should go to the other two contacts of your polarity switch.

The blades should be wired to the adjacent stock rail.

This would be easier if I were on a computer rather than a pad - I could attach a diagram.

If your loco stops with a short on the crossing when you try it out, simply swap the feeds to the switch.

This is also perfectly good wiring for analog/non-DCC

Good luck
Simon

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
A major milestone was passed on the Rhubarb Triangle line last night before rain stopped play. The remaining turnout and pieces of track were laid ready for wiring up.