The next CAD package?

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So for the last couple of years I've been designing etch and 3dprinted parts mainly just to accelerate the scratch building process.

To do this up till recently I've had access to Autodesk Inventor professional 2024 which for this kind of work is like driving an F1 car to do your weekly grocery shop.

Well due to a change in circumstances I no longer have access to that software so I'm looking for an alternative or alternatives.

I'm looking for 2d and 3d capabilities it would help to have them linked but not nessecary

I've heard talk of Qcad, Fusion and Turbocad but know nothing of any of them so can anyone offer advice of where to go and what packages are worth exploring?

JimG

Western Thunderer
I've heard talk of Qcad, Fusion and Turbocad but know nothing of any of them so can anyone offer advice of where to go and what packages are worth exploring?

For a 3D CAD you might want to have a look at Solid Edge Community Edition which is free and is a cut down version of the full Solid Edge package.

For 2D work I prefer to work with a proper 2D CAD since i find that 2D work in a 3D package is nowhere near as good as in a 2D package. I now use NanoCAD 5 which is a clone of AutoCAD LT and is free.

I can import the 2D work in NanoCAD into Solid Edge using DXF files.

Jim.

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
Solid edge community edition for hobby use, no strings download, use as you please, no cloud, all on your own computer. Did use Fusion but switched, others can advise on other programs.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
I've used AutoCAD for 30 years and although I've tried a couple of others, the learning curve to the new commands was too much for me and I switched back. If you have a friendly PC repairer near you he may be able to get you a cheaper copy of AutoCAD - nudge nudge, wink wink.

Mike

Stevers

Western Thunderer
Have never used CAD systems professionally, but in my own time have used QCAD for 2D work and as the starting point for 3D models in OpenSCAD. I really like QCAD, and the more I use it the more I like it. I buy the Pro version and then let support lapse until I feel like it's time for an upgrade. BrushType4 of this parish is another fan of QCAD.

OpenSCAD suits me, but I was a computer programmer in my day job, and like the way it's entirely scripted, and the speed with which quite complex models can be developed with any variations parameter driven. For example I designed an LSWR Type 1 signalbox for Verwood, the parts for which can produced in Victorian, Edwardian and 'Georgian' condition, and as it was post-war at Verwood which was a bit of a mix - all driven from a parameter file. There doesn't seem to be a way to produce flares between cylinders (domes to boilers etc.), so they'd need to be imported as STL objects from a proper 3D CAD package. I have found that importing and then developing STL objects in OpenSCAD can lead to small errors in the mesh of the final 3D model that then need to be repaired in the slicing package.

Fitzroy

I'd recommend Autocad light for 2D and limited 3D, and Solidworks for 3D. They have introduced a very cheap licence for makers.

ChrisBr

Western Thunderer
Another vote for QCAD with 2D, personally I use OnShape for 3D as it's cloud based, so accessible anywhere on any device.

J_F_S

Western Thunderer
For a 3D CAD you might want to have a look at Solid Edge Community Edition which is free and is a cut down version of the full Solid Edge package.

Fully agree with JimG... Except that it is not a cut down version - it is a free full version - the ONLY limitation is that you cannot share any files with the "full" version. Also, it has fully functional 2D dafting - the output of which is portable directly into the 3D version and is identical to the entire 2D drafting module which is also available as a completely free stand-alone package and - without any doubt - it is the most powerful 2D drafting package available at any price. Of course, "power" means "learning curve" ...

Unlike Auto CAD which I have also used - it is fully parametric. Some people find this hard to get used to but once you understand how it works it is very powerful - for example, below is a 2D drawing of the motion of the (first two) Princess Royals. but unlike Auto CAD output, it is fully animated - by dragging the sliders, I can revolve the wheels and set the reverser.
Not everyone wants to examine valve events in detail like me, but you can imagine other uses for such a thing (well, I can because I am used to it!!). Auto CAD (full version) claims to have parametic features (which are licenced from Siemens) but they are very much an wfter thought.
Parametrics are very helpful where (as is often the case for modellers) you know the shape but not the exact dimensions - you can draw in the geometry, then work out the dimensions later.
I would also say that Blocks, Hatching, Layer Management are allo vastl superior in Solidedge cf AutoCAD, (caveat - my AutoCAD (nudge nudge) is about 5 years out of date: my Solidedge - being free - is bang up to date.
As others have said, there are look-alikes versions of AutoCAD such as ProgeCAD etc, but beware they do not have any parmetric capability and so are not true AutoCAD lookalikes.

Just to mention that the first two Princesses have much better valve events than the production batch:):)

Princess Royal1.jpgPrincess Royal2.jpg:)

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Ok that's taken some reading and digesting.

Firstly thanks everyone who contributed is a real help.

There's a lot to take in and a lot of packages to look at. The solid edge 2d and 3d packages are looking the most interesting as I come from working in a fully parametric environment so that would be the easiest transition for me. Going back to old school point and shoot 2d geometry drawing might be a bit too hard to work with....

Definitely got me thinking!

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
Hi George,

I’m a bit late to the party here but here’s my view for what it’s worth. For 2D I use QCAD exclusively now and find it perfectly satisfactory. At the Ffestiniog I work with a loco restoration group who do all their drawings with it as well - a few of the others in the group are very accomplished professional engineers so I take that as a stamp of approval for the product. Like one of the other contributors I also take the Pro subscription and let it lapse until I need to pay the £40 for support.

I’ve tried Fusion and OnShape for 3D but have recently settled on FreeCAD, which is a pretty well supported open source product with a similar feel to QCAD (but without the Pro paid for support option). I like the fact that it’s not web based and has a really active community with help usually available in hours or minutes. There’s extensive YouTube tutorial material available.

I was a TurboCAD devotee for many years but dropped it when I moved to a Mac. I have since tried it again a few times on Windows-on-Mac environments but frankly the product quality is so poor it’s not worth the effort. It’s now buggy, bloated and vastly overpriced with poor support and bewilderingly complex 3D facilities. To me it's great shame as it’s ruined a once solid product by the addition of poorly executed and unnecessary fluff.

Regards

Chris

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
I have looked at various options for 3D but I too have decided on Freecad. For 2D I use Turbocad but not the latest version I would add, mine is 2015 deluxe and find it perfectly adequate. Also it was relatively inexpensive, not sure it's still available though.

Paul_H

Do have a look at Fusion 360 for 3D. As it's part of the Autodesk range you might find some familiarity with it to help any transition.
Qcad is great for 2D.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
George,
An important question to ask is where are you going to be using said CAD program?
If you are going holiday with the laptop to the far end of nowhere with no/dodgy wifi/4g signal a cloud based solution (Fusion 360 etc) won't be much use.
Rob
Ps. Don't forget the hardware/operating system spec.

Last edited:

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
I have looked at various options for 3D but I too have decided on Freecad. For 2D I use Turbocad but not the latest version I would add, mine is 2015 deluxe and find it perfectly adequate. Also it was relatively inexpensive, not sure it's still available though.
To be fair I did find generally TCAD OK for 2D and moved into using it for 3D for the convenience of using the same package, but found it very difficult to get decent results hence my move to discrete products for 2D and 3D. Current pricing from the UK supplier is £240 for Deluxe and £1200 for Platinum for single user licences. The pricing became an additional negative point for me when they moved to a very short version lifecycle, quickly dropping support for older versions and pushing users to upgrade regularly.

Incidentally I've just had an email from Autodesk introducing a "new content storage standard" for Fusion 360 personal users, which basically says they'll delete your stuff after a year if you haven't logged in to keep your account active. Obviously they don't actually say they'll delete it, but "your Fusion Content may no longer be accessible or recoverable".

Last edited:

Paul_H

Incidentally I've just had an email from Autodesk introducing a "new content storage standard" for Fusion 360 personal users, which basically says they'll delete your stuff after a year if you haven't logged in to keep your account active. Obviously they don't actually say they'll delete it, but "your Fusion Content may no longer be accessible or recoverable".
It's worth pointing out that Fusion isn't entirely cloud based. You can download (via export) Fusion files as archives to your own computer, these retain all the data and history. You can reload them back into Fusion as you want.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Just googled it. You can run fusion offline (click on the clock icon top right of screen) but you do need to reconnect to the servers every 2 weeks. This assumes that you have the file you want to work on cached locally.
Fusion offline

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Another vote for QCAD, for 2d work. I'm still trying to find a 3d cad package that I can get my head around. I've tried Designspark mechanical and Fusion 360, both free. I'm finding I can do some things on one and different things on the other.

Paul_H

I'm still trying to find a 3d cad package that I can get my head around. I've tried Designspark mechanical and Fusion 360, both free. I'm finding I can do some things on one and different things on the other.
I've tried a few of the 'proper' CAD packages now and I don't think any really lack significant options for the sort CAD modellers do.
The real issue is that each package does functions differently and expects their own approach to the design process. This means that sometimes one package appears not to be able to do something, but might be called by a different name or need a different way of completing the task.
You just need to settle on one package and put in the hours learning it.

Where things really are lacking is with the cad packages that use primitives like Tinkercad and Sketch up. Whilst you can build complex designs with them, there's a LOT of functionality lacking for serious work.

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
I've tried a few of the 'proper' CAD packages now and I don't think any really lack significant options for the sort CAD modellers do.
The real issue is that each package does functions differently and expects their own approach to the design process. This means that sometimes one package appears not to be able to do something, but might be called by a different name or need a different way of completing the task.
You just need to settle on one package and put in the hours learning it.
I'd agree that the inconsistency of terminology is a big issue if you tend to shop around for hobby solutions as we mostly do, and get quite confused with differing terms for the same concepts in different products. I've found this most difficult with getting to grips with 3D, and one of the reasons I settled on FreeCAD was that there is a decent set of tutorials by MangoJelly (he has a blog but also a very good YouTube channel) which explains the concepts well and tries to make the language and terminology clear.

Where things really are lacking is with the cad packages that use primitives like Tinkercad and Sketch up. Whilst you can build complex designs with them, there's a LOT of functionality lacking for serious work.
Seconded - I've recently used Sketchup for a couple of home DIY projects for which it is ideally suited, but a 3D CAD package it is not.

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
George

Fusion is essentially a version of Inventor with elements of SpaceClaim thrown in. Although it allows 2D sketches to be extruded and revolved [the basic 3D procedures], it also allows primitive shapes such as cubes, spheres and cones to be pulled out of shape either directly or via a superimposed 2D sketch.
One very useful aspect is that it allows the importation of stl files and their reverse engineering back to 3D CAD files.
I use Inventor every day but I do have a copy of Fusion for its stl handling capability because I also use Artec and Zeiss 3D scanners.