4mm The Longford and Broadgate Light Railway - an 009 saga.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Firstly, a little personal history which may (or may not) explain many things! I have been a fan of 009 for nearly as long as I have been in the hobby, which is a rather long time now I think about it :rolleyes:. It all started with the first copy of the Railway Modeller that I purchased which had as 'Railway of the Month' the late PD Hancock's early article on his 'Craig and Mertonford' system. The bug well and truly bit me and in many respects PDH's approach to modelling became the method for my own efforts. Eventually, many years later I met PDH at the Leeds NE NG Festival where we had an all-to-brief conversation. Since then I have built several narrow gauge layouts, even ventured in to 7mmNG but didn't stay there and returned to either H0e or 009, dependant on the prototype I was following as for some time I modelled continental railways.

Thus we come to the start of a new saga, namely the Longford and Broadgate Light Railway. The names neatly allow the use of rolling stock lettered for that famous narrow gauge line the Lynton and Barnstaple without much repainting and re-lettering. The line will be constructed by the extending of a partly built mini layout originally for a German scene but now being heavily altered to accommodate the Heljan MW 2-6-2T with its need for larger radius curves. The extension has been joined on to the existing partly constructed H0e layout and the extensive revision can now start. The pictures show the start of things and before anyone starts tearing their hair out and screaming "He's using hardboard" - well yes, this is the use of a scrapped pasting table which is an excellent professional piece of commercial manufacture - square rigid and all one would ask and the hardboard top can simply be covered with a suitable material - in my case 5mm foamboard (which again may raise eyebrows, but it works for me :cool:!)
To the photos:

SAM_2141.JPG
The Yard and loco shed on the original layout

SAM_2143.JPG
The other edge of the board showing some of the scenic work and lake shore.

SAM_2145.JPG
Looking over the end of the board on to the extension area awaiting development.

The German style buildings will remain a theme on the layout as I really do enjoy the freelance approach one can take in narrow gauge and I say this whilst having the highest respect for those who follow the prototype faithfully in their modelling. It also is an economical way of using up several of the fine H0 buildings I have 'spare' to hand. So there we are gents - another visit to the fairyland of my mind will ensue on the Forum, whilst they let me :rolleyes:

All the best to everyone,

Roger ;)

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hardboard, Continental kit built buildings and narrow gauge track laid serpentine fashion with impossibly sharp radii; a real heady mix of nostalgia, Roger, if ever there was - although foamboard sounds a bit trendy ;) I’m sold on the little Linford and Bradgate Light already :thumbs:

I remember my first model railway - a ‘roundy-roundy’ shared with my brother - came replete with hardboard base, reinforced with some rather ancient two by one laid random fashion rather than in some neat lattice style, painted green which was probably supposed to represent vegetation :rolleyes: However, in all the years that passed - most of it spent gathering dust - it never warped!

Incidentally, I do like the look of the track; may I ask which brand it is, Roger?

It’s rare to see oo9 layouts represented these days, Roger; they seemed to be commonplace in the old RMs as you suggest, with at least one being represented in each edition, so this shall be a refreshing change.

I think I saw the Heljan model in a glass display case only recently, and what a fine looking loco it is, resplendent in its green(?) livery. I hope I don’t embarrass you when I say that I was quite taken aback at the hefty price tag, however, it was a smashing little beast ;) You must be quite excited!

As one who spends quite a large proportion of his time in cloud cuckoo land, I can quite recommend escapism of this sort, so enjoy your many visits to Fairyland and please keep us all apprised of events :thumbs:

Best regards,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Jon,
The track is Peco, the original with random pattern sleepers, sometimes called 'crazy track'. The Heljan loco I picked up on a special offer, but it is the black one in the range - a touch of the Henry Fords on my L&BLR ;).

Roger,

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The saga continues, albeit slowly. The recent extreme weather curtailed my modelling activities and until I can get the L&BLR in to my den where it will remain during the winter season I have been rather scuppered in completing the 'heavy' work fixing the extension and doing the initial demolition. However, today did allow me to venture to the garage once more for a couple of hours and the final securing of the extension piece and adding the foam-board surface has been completed. Track has been lifted and certain proposed and partly constructed scenic effects removed so we are at last beginning to see some progress. It may resemble the speed of a constipated snail but there is movement, honest, guv!
More news will follow as things progress further.

Roger :).

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A picture of dislocation, demolition and the question arises - "Has he got a clue what he's doing?" I am saying nothing other than that in the best tradition I am following a cunning plan.........:rolleyes:! Here are some pictures:-

SAM_2152.JPG

Showing the surfaced extension ready for track and scenic development, with the station road laid in with a ruling radius of 310mm to allow the Heljan MW 2-6-2T to do 'out and back' services in to the station. This view is taken from what will be the buffer stop end of the platform - eventually.

SAM_2153.JPG

This is where the station track runs on to a lift out section which was built on the original layout to allow a simple and effective way of ringing the changes of locos and stock running round on the very tight radius of the circuit, which the aforesaid Heljan loco would not manage. However, it will provide a ready method of turning the said loco and its train when required, not to mention fulfilling it's original purpose.

SAM_2155.JPG

The other end of the lift out section. Some demolition and removal of buildings and scenic effects can also be seen, and there is more to be done in this field. Hopefully I shall be able to press on at a better pace than of late and fairly quickly sort out the new track plan. Finally, I admit that I am an untidy workman so please allow for it in the above illustrations.

You know, I have found with Longford and Broadgate this making it up as you go along has quite a lot going for it - :cool: :).

More news will follow as the saga continues.........

Roger

Last edited:

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
After a bit more consistent activity the track laying is complete. Re-alignment has been done, track lifted elsewhere and new tracks laid in, Wiring to 'liven' isolated sections is the next move, together with the addition of point levers. For these latter items I shall dip in to my stock of Caboose Industries levers which are my preferred type for both 00 and 009 point operation. It's a long story but suffice to say I have had more than enough trouble with point motors in my time to now prefer hand operation on the much smaller layouts with which I am now involved. The following pictures show how things are shaping up and also outline the level of work necessary to turn this in to a decent enough little system. Testing has shown that allowing for the un-wired dead sections, which are mainly head-shunts and sidings, the system is working as intended.

SAM_2158.JPG

A general view showing in the foreground the new 'Quarry Halt Yard' as it will be known and in the background Broadgate station - a simple affair for passenger services in the main. The gaps between the sleepers will receive cosmetic attention as work proceeds!

SAM_2159.JPG

A view looking the other way showing the high level of rectification and new work to do here which should keep me well occupied this winter :cool:.

For those of you following this slow progress, may I advise that there will be a short break in proceedings on this project as the work so far has been carried out in my garage and to continue as the weather grows less clement requires a move indoors, which may require a little time to arrange. Have no fear, though, I shall, as a very famous man once said, return :thumbs:.

Roger :).

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Continuity in both progress and track current; good to read, Roger :thumbs:

Sympathies for the forced brief hiatus, but at least you’ll be able to continue the build in comfort during the long winter months :)

The only problem I’ve found with working indoors is that eventually I have to tidy everything away, and I’m not the tidiest of workers by any means, so collecting up all the tools, materials and waste accrued over say a week or more is a chore in itself even before I start carrying them down the garden to my den where they’re stored. Then I find it hard to get going again once permission is granted by the domestic authorities :(

I like the track plan, Roger; you’ll be able to enjoy the best of both worlds in terms of shunting and just watching the trains go by from what I can see. The little station building is most Col. Stephens, but rather posh replete with its clock :p

Apologies for being a little late to the party on this occasion, Roger, but I’ve been a little side tracked of late as I may have mentioned. Anyway, I’m back in the swing again so should be in a better position to keep abreast of latest developments.

Good health!

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Well folks, like the proverbial bad penny - I'm back ;)!

Of course, that means the 009 saga of the Longford and Broadgate Light Railway can continue. The layout now sits on my work desk in my den after the removal revealed that more structural work was required to remove the 'sag' where the extension section had been joined on. I never was any good at carpentry and this merely confirmed the point :(. A trip to the local Timber Store secured the necessary wood to provide a couple of transverse pieces and the result is now the layout sits nice and flat.

Work then started by reviewing the 'lie' of the track and one or two sections were not as good as they should have been - too many joints/joined in the wrong place on a curve/ not well aligned - I could go on. Suffice to say that track was lifted and new sections laid and re-aligned as necessary making it suitable to my eye not to mention a much smoother ride for the stock. I know it is supposed to be a country narrow gauge railway, but they were in most cases as well laid as many standard gauge lines and the L&BLR is no exception. :cool:

That all went quite well, so then it was tested. The locos and stock liked the continuous run well enough but a fault was found nevertheless :eek:. Whenever I tried to divert a train in to the siding area or on to the line to what will be Broadgate terminal there was a dead short. The reason at the moment is a mystery :confused:. The layout is analogue and the original from which it is a development was designed with a single feed, all isolation being by the isolation effect of the point-work . The continuous run still works but nothing else so, being as it is the easiest way out, I shall strip out the old wiring, then re-wire from scratch as the required wiring additions are quite simple. I cannot get on with dcc so please do not offer it as a solution - I find it anything but :mad:. In the event, this just means a little extra work which will delay the scenic development a little longer :(.

As for the future, I have decided that the model will reflect the imaginary Broadgate end of the line. The "History" of the village is that it was founded by Baron Artur von Breittor , a knight of the Prussian decent who had fought with the Normans in the 12th century, being granted the land for services to the Crown. This explains why, as Broadgate developed, the architecture has followed a Germanic style. Broadgate Castle has long since disappeared, falling victim to the destruction wrought in the Civil War but the village lives on in modern times. A full history will be available in due course. Now extensive re-afforestation has allowed a thriving timber industry to develop in conjunction with adjacent stone quarries in neighbouring districts.

This means a few selected buildings and extensive tree' planting' will be the order of the day when scenic work truly starts. Until then, dear reader, watch this space........;)

Roger.

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
That was quick, Roger! A warm welcome back :)

Glad to see that work has resumed on ‘the Light’ and that you’re able to do so in the comfort of your den, especially after the recent storm :thumbs: My den is fine, but I don’t relish the stroll down the garden path to get to it so find myself working on the dining room table with the inevitable and unwelcome tidying away of subject matter and materials at the behest of the domestic authorities :(

Funny how one modeller’s meat is another’s poison: there’s you trying and succeeding to remove sag while I’m trying to work out how to introduce it ;)

Sorry to read that things are proving a little tricky on the electrickery side but at least there’s a workable strategy to resolve. Nothing worse than being baffled by it all as I am often am, but bizarrely, DCC has proved a very simple and workable solution with me. And of course, it has to be simple where I’m concerned :confused: I must add that it proved so only with the kind help of other forum members to whom I shall be eternally grateful :) That said, Roger, I do believe in KISS so am with you all the way with your chosen method of power and routing via the switch blades which has served us all so well until the arrival of its ‘usurper’ ;)

By the way, that ‘back-story’ is quite something and I know there are many here who enjoy nothing more than reading a ‘good one’, so this will be right up their street. I take it that history is another of your interests, Roger, and just goes to show that modelling offers yet another avenue to employ other specialities for the modeller. A very believable account indeed :)

Looks like your new steed will have its work cut out with the lumping round of all those logs and stone blocks, so no doubt you’ll be busy too producing the rolling stock to carry it all. I’m not too familiar with narrow gauge, but I’m aware that there’s a whole host of industrial wagons of sorts available, and so it will be an education for me to see what ‘the Light’ throws up in that regard :eek:

Onve again, Roger, I’m pleased to read that proceedings have resumed and that I didn’t have to wait as long as anticipated to read of developments. Counting down to the next and best of luck with getting things moving :thumbs:

Kind regards,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Success :thumbs:. The short circuit that caused my woes is now history. It was a classic case of 'mea culpa'. I had overlooked the fact that a joint on a track section that I had replaced had been fitted with isolating rail joiners and inadvertently replaced them with 'live' joiners. Reversing this error cured the problem and the perfect system of a single feed and isolation by switch blades is now fully established. They say that you get wiser as you get older - they forget to tell you about the forgetfulness - perhaps they just forgot........:rolleyes:!

Of course, it is also said there is no fool like an old fool..........:eek:

I'd better quit whilst I am at least level..;)

Roger

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Success :thumbs:. The short circuit that caused my woes is now history. It was a classic case of 'mea culpa'. I had overlooked the fact that a joint on a track section that I had replaced had been fitted with isolating rail joiners and inadvertently replaced them with 'live' joiners. Reversing this error cured the problem and the perfect system of a single feed and isolation by switch blades is now fully established. They say that you get wiser as you get older - they forget to tell you about the forgetfulness - perhaps they just forgot........:rolleyes:!

Of course, it is also said here is no fool like an old fool..........:eek:

I'd better quit whilst I am at least level..;)

Roger

:)) :thumbs:

Jonte

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger
When I replaced the very old and unreliable 3 way point I had a short with the new one. No excuse, as well building and wiring track/points since the early 1960s I spent my 50 years of working life in electrical engineering from house wiring to highly automated factories.
Your problem is why a new and/or refurbished project is carefully tested & commissioned before full us starts.
Regards
Allen

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your observations Allen. As a complete amateur in the field of electrical engineering, I bow to your expertise. As you have no doubt seen in my post, the fault was entirely due to my own forgetfulness - I just overlooked an action that I should carried out to maintain what had formerly been, and for that matter is once again, a satisfactory method (for me) of power supply/control for this mini-layout .
Cheers,
Roger.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The sharp-eyed amongst you will have noticed a modest alteration to the title of this layout. This is a personal whim to emphasize the totally fictional origin of the scene which originates entirely in my imagination and to avoid confusion with any actual existing area. Now a couple of pictures to indicate a little more progress on the L&BLR:

SAM_2167.JPG

Waiting to depart from Old Quarry Sidings. L&BLR diesel 'Herman' and vans.

SAM_2168.JPG

Temporarily positioned - the future Broadgate passenger station. In the background 0-6-0T 'Anna' is passing on the goods line. As can be seen, a great amount of work is required here at present - should keep me busy during the winter :cool:!

The wheels of progress may grind slow here, but we do like to think they grind fine, to paraphrase the old adage. More news soon.:)

Roger.

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
A totally charming little station building, Roger, replete with its ‘low’ platforms.

I like the flowing trackwork - I really do like the track - curving into the distance too. I’m curious to know what’s round there? ;)

‘Grinding slow’ is ‘fine’ by me, my friend. Takes me nearly a whole morning just to get going :confused:

Keep us apprised :thumbs:

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Progress remains slow on the L&B LR , I regret to say. Unfortunately a combination of poor health and domestic matters has further restricted the time I have been able to spend actually working on this project, but nevertheless certain small elements of progress have been made.

The time had come to do some ballasting trials and attempt to achieve the appearance of a fairly well maintained but not quite pristine ballasting of a hard working country narrow gauge line so a start was made on the through line by the Old Quarry Sidings. These sidings are now a loco service point for diesel units -yes, I intend to introduce more - and also a goods siding. Thus the section between the level crossing leading to Broadgate Town station car park and the switch leading off to Broadgate (Old Quarry) Halt and the yard became the guinea pig. The pictures show the experimentation so far:-

SAM_2189.JPG
The first 'ballasting run' using Woodland Scenic 'fine cinders'

SAM_2193.JPG
A close-up of the same stretch after adding additional 'greenery' to give the weed-like intrusion on to the track area - apologies for the poor quality of the picture.

SAM_2191.JPG
The initial run from Broadgate Quarry Halt - the siding road has since been ballasted with granite (grey) Woodland Scenic fine ballast, but needs tidying before making its photographic debut ;)

By its very nature, this is rather slow work and I prefer leaving treated areas 24 hours to allow it to set firmly before vacuuming off the surplus. The method may be old, but then again, so am I :cool:. Work has taken place in other areas too, involving the laying of road surfaces, fence and wall installation and the odd tree being planted here and there. Certain buildings have been either sited or re-sited as appropriate and the maintainance of the Germanic architectural theme has been paramount. A revised and consolidated history of the L&BLR has been published and hopefully will appear in this saga ere too long.

Thank you for your patience and interest in following this thread.

Roger. :)

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I regret to report that continuing health problems on the domestic front, details of which have no place on this thread, have prevented much further work on the L&BLR, which has resulted in it's being placed in storage for the present time. If and when work towards a form of completion continues, I will publish accordingly. On the other hand, should anyone be sufficiently interested to take it on, I could be persuaded to sell the present board and stock. A pm if interested, please - don't use this thread.
For those who have followed this unfinished saga, my thanks for both your interest and patience,

A note to the administrators - I hope nothing above infringes the Forum Rules. If so, my apologies and I will withdraw any section as requested by authority.

A final picture for the present showing the latest buildings in Broadgate - continuing the now well known Germanic theme.
SAM_2195.JPG

Roger.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I regret to report that continuing health problems on the domestic front, details of which have no place on this thread, have prevented much further work on the L&BLR,
Sorry to hear about that, Roger. Life, The Universe & Everything do have an irritating habit of interfering with one's hobbies, but ultimately health especially is rather more important!!
The layout can still be waiting for you when the time is right - railway modelling is not a competitive sport so we shouldn't compare our own progress - or lack of - to that of others, who's circumstances are likely totally different to our own. Unfortunately it is rather easy to do that on Forums such as this, where some members seem to accomplish a great deal in contrast to ourselves.

I have a theory as to why so many of us prefer to "see things moving" on layouts at Exhibitions, even if that is with unrealistic frequency - it's because if we wanted to stare at empty rails or motionless models we could just stay at home!!! I am no exception!! :)