Captain Kernow's layouts

AJC

Western Thunderer
I can't speak for the 7mm kits Steve, but I have built several in 4mm and can report that they're a pleasure to build. Brian Daniels' did one of Mike and Judith's 06s in 7mm (details on his thread over there). That Brian made his in a week tells its own story.

Adam

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Not as much as I'd have liked, to be honest. Work and serious illness on the part of a close relative have taken their toll.

Finished the body work off on a 56XX (not yet weathered), done a few more wagons, and have done more work on weathering the track on the layout, including the 'Chris Nevard' grungy track method. Got a bit more grunging to do, a bit more track weathering, and then the gluing down of the retaining walls can be started. After that, I should be able to start building up the scenery around it all.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
At the moment, although I've not done any work on the actual layout for almost two years, I'm finally starting to construct the covers necessary to keep Callow Lane protected. This work is being done outside when the weather is good, such as this morning.

Went to RailWells yesterday. Excellent show and caught up with loads of chums, as per usual.

Lots of goodies on offer there.

Cripes, what's happened?!
20160814_104742.jpg

PMP

Western Thunderer
Interesting choice Capt., any particular reason for polythene rather than something a bit more substantial?

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Interesting choice Capt., any particular reason for polythene rather than something a bit more substantial?
It's lightweight as compared with a solid cover (each board is already more than heavy enough to carry!), and my experience of having similar type covers on Engine Wood over the last 20 years has been positive.

If I could have moved/carried both boards bolted together, with scenery facing inwards, then I'd have configured it like that, but I tried that when there was just track on it, and even then, I could hardly manage it!

Reactions: PMP

Neil

Western Thunderer
I wonder if it would be possible to replace the polythene sheeting with one of those zip lock vacuum storage bags; If they can hold a vacuum they'll be able to keep dust at bay.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I wonder if it would be possible to replace the polythene sheeting with one of those zip lock vacuum storage bags; If they can hold a vacuum they'll be able to keep dust at bay.
Interesting idea, but the rest of the layout (the wooden bits) is by no means air-tight, and in fact, very little/if any dust gets onto Engine Wood, when it's under it's similar covers.