Scattergun The Flippem Automatic Coupling System an alternative to Dingham couplings

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
As some people might have heard that the Trevor who produced the original Dingham couplings has been forced to stop production due to ill health. Also those members who have followed my "WC Boggs" layout thread will know I have been redesigning them so that they can cope with variation in height and curves down to 3ft4.
Since it was announced that Trevor was stopping making them I have been asked, by a number of people, to make my version available to everyone.

So I have decided to do exactly that. Im still proving my prototypes but it's looking good so far.if everything goes smoothly then I should be in a position to produce a production etch to start production by Christmas.

The new update couplings are compatable with the old ones. I will also be developing a jig to allow the user to determin which of the 10 types of hook they need for any piece of rolling stock. There are 5 different hook heights and each height hook comes in 2 lengths. Also the new wider hooks come in 2 lengths.

I'm not sure of the price as yet but I would say that they will be compatible with the original Dingham price.

Marc Dobson
Pre-Grouping Railways

Jackie Kneeshaw

As some people might have heard that the Trevor who produced the original Dingham couplings has been forced to stop production due to ill health. Also those members who have followed my "WC Boggs" layout thread will know I have been redesigning them so that they can cope with variation in height and curves down to 3ft4.
Since it was announced that Trevor was stopping making them I have been asked, by a number of people, to make my version available to everyone.

So I have decided to do exactly that. Im still proving my prototypes but it's looking good so far.if everything goes smoothly then I should be in a position to produce a production etch to start production by Christmas.

The new update couplings are compatable with the old ones. I will also be developing a jig to allow the user to determin which of the 10 types of hook they need for any piece of rolling stock. There are 5 different hook heights and each height hook comes in 2 lengths. Also the new wider hooks come in 2 lengths.

I'm not sure of the price as yet but I would say that they will be compatible with the original Dingham price.

Marc Dobson
Pre-Grouping Railways

Hi Marc
The Gauge O Guild is currently completing negotiations with Trevor Shaw to take on the original product and we hope to be able to make a firm announcement in the very near future.
Jackie Kneeshaw on behalf of the GOG

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Hi Jackie
I had heard something to this affect. However my version of the coupling system was designed to overcome the numerous short falls in the original Dingham system. As you might have read my version of the couplings were developed to overcome these short falls, namely hight differences and being used on curves tighter than 5ft6.
Before Trevor said he was no longer going to make them I had been asked by a number of people to market my improved version for the general public, in both 4mm and 7mm.
The response I have had over the last 24 hours has confirmed that there is a demand for an improved version.
Marc

Last edited:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update of the progress with the new improved version of the couplings.
We have decided to call my version the "Flippem Automatic Couplings". Following on from the feed back on the Dingham couplings from customers and my own usage.
I have
  • beefed up the material so they are less fragile
  • Added high adjustment
  • Change the shape of the loop to allow coupling on curves down to 3ft
  • Added plastic packaging blocks to allow for different thicknesses of buffer beams.
  • I'm also designing a height/depth jig to allow for correct height/depth adjustment.
Im also looking into electo magnets for those who are interested. They will be avalabe 7mm and 4/3.5mm versions. The new artwork has been sent to the etchers and I am now waiting for their input for time scales.
Marc Dobson
Pre-Grouping Railways

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update on the progress with the couplings. The test etch for the 7mm versions should be ready before Christmas. They contain enough parts for me to make sure the parts work for real and 2 sets of the starter packs (variable heights and depths) for 22 vehicles. The cost for the starter pack is £25. Once the trial etch has returned and I have assembled the whole system I will release the first 2 starter packs and the full production run, for the 7mm version will start in the new year. The 3.5/4mm version to follow soon after, I don't have a price for these yet.

Prices will be

7mm starter pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £25

7mm Standard and +1mm pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £25

7mm wide loops to be back fitted to Dingham couplings £15

7mm 3D printed Depth Gauge £10

7mm 3D printed buffer beam packing pieces £5

3.5/4mm prices to follow

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have just finished testing the system. It works and it works well so I will be drawing up the production etches next.

The grey wagon (LNWR Dia2) is fitted with a plus 1mm "Flippem" hook and loop the brown wagon (LSWR 4PLK) is fitted with a standard height "Dingham" hook and delay bar. being used on WC Boggs. they run through and couple on the 3ft4 reverse curve. The LSWR 4 plank has had a "Flippem" loop fitted to the other hook to prove that back fitting "Flippem" loops to "Dingham" hooks was possible.

View attachment 5772flippem loop dingham hook.jpg

The second photo shows the difference between the "Flippem" on the left and the "dingham" on the right.

flippem loop against dingham.jpg
View attachment 5773

As you can see the "Flippem" is made from thicker material and has a greater cross-section for better strength. Also you can see that the size of the loop is bigger which allows it to be used with very tight radius curves. I have tried them on PECO set track and they work every time. There looks like there is also spare room between the hook and the loop to enable them to be used on even tighter curves less than 3ft4.

The third photo shows the difference changing the hook height can have. View attachment 5774 The coupling on the left is the plus 2mm "Flippem" and the one on the right is the "Dingham" the wagons are the same, our SDJR 5 planks, as you can see the loop on the left would pass over the hook on the right and likewise there no chance that the loop on the right would go over the hook on the left.
flippem plus2 hook against standard dingham.jpg
Now I have proved the system I will be putting the production etches for 7mm and 4mm together and getting them to the etchers asap.
If any one wants one of my 7mm pre-production etches to get them going I have one left? Otherwise I will be taking orders in a few weeks for an expected delivery mid to late February.

Marc

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Marc. One of the hardest parts is making and fitting the pivot pin. Is there anyway this could be modified to use a very small screw and nut?

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris

The only reason I haven't gone do this route is cost. The hole where the pin is soldered in can be opened up to 1mm so a small bolt, washers and a nut could replace the brass rod with out any effect to the operation. I say this for the 7mm version I think that it might be a different story on the 4mm version as getting a bolt small enough to do it in 4mm might be a challenge.

Marc

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc. Thanks. Once you start producing them I will purchase some and give the bolt idea a try, in 7mm that is!

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
The production artwork is now with the the etchers, for both the 4mm and 7mm versions. I should have the proof files back early next week and once thy have been inspected I will be taking orders for a mid February delivery. I have been told, by the etchers, that there will be a window of about 10days between the the proofs being approved and production starting for me to add to any order. Due to the current economic climate I will not be holding very much stock so please order in the window to avoid any delays. The new section of the website will go live as soon as the proofs have been approved.

7mm Prices will be
7mm starter pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £25
7mm Standard and +1mm pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £25
7mm wide loops to be back fitted to Dingham couplings £15
7mm 3D printed Depth Gauge £10
7mm 3D printed buffer beam packing pieces £5

4mm Prices will be
4mm starter pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £12
4mm Standard and +1mm pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £12
4mm wide loops to be back fitted to Dingham couplings £8
4mm 3D printed Depth Gauge £7
4mm 3D printed buffer beam packing pieces £3

I will be producing a short video of the 7mm coupling in operation on WC Boggs, the layout they were initially designed for, shortly.

Marc