The Chronicles of Canary Sidings - Eastern Eccentricity in EM

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Having grown up on a farm I seem to wake up with the sun... So this morning I was up at half 5 plenty of time to get some modelling done before work

IMG_20230510_062423451.jpg

So I've added the footplate on the other side

IMG_20230510_063751975_HDR.jpgand filed it flush

IMG_20230510_063800016_HDR.jpg

I've also had a go at fitting the springs for the driving wheel.... The tricky but is that these slot through the footplate to attach to the frames.... Problem is these are visible so there is nothing for it but to drill and slot some holes.

IMG_20230510_071253152_HDR.jpg

Spring is not attached yet but you get the idea....

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Another cautionary tale.... Or rather 2...

So I have now got the majority of the loco springs in place

IMG_20230514_095716420_HDR.jpg

However I have two lessons to learn from this....

The first is don't dwell with the soldering iron or a spring ends up looking like this:

IMG_20230513_131427257_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230513_131445921_HDR.jpg

Secondly plan the loco better the cab is meant to fit on the outside of the springs..... Hmmmm

IMG_20230514_100626614.jpg

Here endeth the lesson.....

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So I thought my days of being a project engineer were over when I took on my current role but here I am back working long hours trying to defy the time space continuum and getting parts manufactured out of thin air.

It does however gave the opportunity that due to a delay I found myself with an unexpected evening free.... So.... I hit the workbench.

I still nee to get some springs fitted but it is deadly dull so I thought I would fix the cab issue....

IMG_20230516_210749409.jpg

So melted all the joints and put it back together with packing and that worked so well I got distracted in adding some frills

IMG_20230516_210823582.jpg

Trims, beadings, handrails and spectacle plates....

IMG_20230516_210829407.jpg

But the best thing is the little secret very few people will ever see is that you can see the springs when you look inside the cab

IMG_20230516_210927665_HDR.jpg
Yes the cab is slightly skew wiff but that's because I haven't soldered it in place yet.... Job for another day that

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So up early again so cracked on with another job. The cab roof.

IMG_20230517_071200205.jpg
The roofs on 73 & 74 were pretty basic things and how dry they kept the crew is debatable.... More weather board with benefits that actual cab.... Very Sam Johnson who as we know was responsible for the above deck rebuild of this pair of Locomotives

IMG_20230517_071204929.jpg

So it's just another piece of brass soldered on then dressed with a file.

IMG_20230517_071211576.jpg

I thought the build was nearing completion but then I wrote a to do list of everything I had left to do.....

IMG_20230517_064044844.jpg

Yikes!

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Do you ever find that you do one thing and it effects another?

So in widening the cab it's created more space around the firebox.... A little is ok but not this much

IMG_20230517_175707714.jpg

So got home early (that's a first) and set to work with some nickel silver scrap.

Presto!

IMG_20230517_180223855.jpg

Todays life lesson is: if you have to bodge something make it look intentional!

IMG_20230517_180420550_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230517_180417189_HDR.jpg

Well that's another thing to cross off the to do list

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Question is.....

Is wonky ok? Does it add character or does it just look like bad modelling?

IMG_20230522_071651784.jpg

So you may think what am I on about.... Well I was fitting tender springs this morning, finally, and if you look at the spring hanger on the left you will see it missaligned somewhat. I could straighten it..... But this is what happened on the one I did try and straighten....

IMG_20230522_071641063.jpg

Yeah.....

So I know I might get marked down for it but I'm going to leave it and point out that the poor old loco will be best part of 40 years old at the point I'm setting it potentially so it will have had some knocks and dents by this point.... Especially the tender as this was never rebuilt

Should I leave it or should I try and fix it? Thoughts on a post card....

I leave you with our loco gracing the test track this weekend at our EM gauge Soc AG meeting in the borders

IMG_20230521_135636781_HDR.jpg

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Question is.....

View attachment 187255

So you may think what am I on about.... Well I was fitting tender springs this morning, finally, and if you look at the spring hanger on the left you will see it missaligned somewhat. I could straighten it..... But this is what happened on the one I did try and straighten....

View attachment 187256

Yeah.....

So I know I might get marked down for it but I'm going to leave it and point out that the poor old loco will be best part of 40 years old at the point I'm setting it potentially so it will have had some knocks and dents by this point.... Especially the tender as this was never rebuilt

Should I leave it or should I try and fix it? Thoughts on a post card....

I leave you with our loco gracing the test track this weekend at our EM gauge Soc AG meeting in the borders

View attachment 187257
George,

In answer to your question, from the photo it doesn’t look misaligned, so I think you are perfectly within your rights to keep it as it is. I still think this is a lovely project and you are doing great guns with it.

Nigel

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Question is.....

I can't see a problem on your model, maybe it is going to look like it was made by a craftsman and not churned out of an injection moulding machine.

I haven't done this myself yet, but light coats of etch primer during the build can help to highlight anything which is actually wrong. This tip came to me at Kempton, from a professional who posts consistently very fine work here.

Last edited:

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

I'm glad someone else is as well.... In the most part it's a fun process but as you say it's a slow one.....

It's probs taking this long because this is my first scratch build and it's a steep learning curve ...

Oh and I was foolish to choose as my first project a prototype that had the challenges of fitting a motor getting any form of traction and was built before the time when the Edwardian loco engineers started hiding everything

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

I'm glad someone else is as well.... In the most part it's a fun process but as you say it's a slow one.....

It's probs taking this long because this is my first scratch build and it's a steep learning curve ...

Oh and I was foolish to choose as my first project a prototype that had the challenges of fitting a motor getting any form of traction and was built before the time when the Edwardian loco engineers started hiding everything
I’m not sure you are foolish George, but certainly brave and I think your bravery is bringing some lovely rewards in this little beauty.

Nigel

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
I’m not sure you are foolish George, but certainly brave and I think your bravery is bringing some lovely rewards in this little beauty.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel,

Here's hoping a year and bits effort is worth while.

Saying that though I did take a risk with this project and could have well been put off given the issues with the complex prototype. I would certainly advise someone else starting out to try a simpler machine to start with. I did do the drawings for a 204 class at the same time as this one but went for the single. Maybe that could be next .... But I fear the crampton beckons.

On a side note if anyone does what a copy of the scratch aid drawings for this or others that I have I'm more than happy to send you a copy

George (Herbie)

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Thanks to all for your comments, I'm glad you are enjoying the thread. Anything you want to see more of etc etc please do suggest stuff

Anyhoo after all the fun making springs it was back to axleboxes.... I've allready covered how I did the tender ones so won't cover this in too much detail

IMG_20230525_071156346.jpg

IMG_20230526_064922014.jpg

IMG_20230526_065854147.jpg

IMG_20230526_075159284.jpg
And there they are in place. I've made them chunkier than the tender ones as I figured the bearings would have to be bigger due to the weight of the loco compared to the tender

IMG_20230526_075145738.jpg
Another new feature is the sandbox that I've added to the side of the splasher

IMG_20230526_075216298.jpg

So that's a few more items off the to do list.... It's getting closer to being finished every day

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Doesn’t it have to spend a statutory number of years in a box unpainted before it is deemed officially finished?
Funnily enough this is one loco in my life that has as yet to spend any time in a box......

I also have had my arm twisted to do a demo at workshopwise in October - painting stock with acrylics so this loco might end up getting done remarkably quickly