The BR Group workbench

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

Rather than post in the layout thread, maybe area 51 is appropriate for an occasional foray into construction. There isn't much to report as we have reached capacity in the fiddleyard except there are two last exLSWR locos to complete and these will be the last.

Adams 0395
The DJH 0395 evokes memories of odd-length castings and this coloured perception of this useful locomotive, nevertheless it is a lovely old thing. The model has been upgraded with an etched Comet 4F chassis, suitably modified with two-stage drive and coreless motor, a very useful locomotive. The problem has been accumulating the bits.

Loco and Tender Body kit - DJH
Loco chassis exLMS 4F LCP6 - Comet
Wheels - 5ft 0in 16 spoke WH205 exLMS 4F - Markit
Axles - MRAX/OO - Markit
Crankpins - RM2 - Markit
Tender wheels - 4ft 0in MRJ16S - Markit
Tender 2mm i/d tophat bearings - Alan Gibson
Handrail knobs - Alan Gibson
Coreless motor and Gearbox - Road Runner Plus 48:1 - High Level

CB6.jpg

Adams injectors, lamp irons and tender coal rails from Brassmasters
E34.jpg

Finally, a lovely lost wax backhead from Caley Jim
s-l1600a.jpg
This merely the tip of the iceberg

30581 was chosen as it had been allocated to Exmouth Junction in the 50s and it is a long frame version with an original Adams boiler.
30581b_1000.jpg

Cap'n K, took on the chassis together with the basic 'big bits' and this has resulted in a superb running chassis.

20201027_112529.jpg

20201027_112617.jpg

20201027_114635.jpg

For the past couple of months, progress has slowed whilst trying to find both parts and more information however the tender body is coming together and a start is being made on the boiler pipework. Thanks to whoever is building a Finney T3 on WT for posting images without which progress would still be at a standstill.
Tender9.jpg

The Brassmasters website has provided us with a wealth of information, whilst this image of 30566 is the only cab shot Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0 Courtesy Mike Morant.
30566_SM.jpg

Still lots to do, the odd plumbing between the second and third drivers is a mystery but someone will no doubt know something.

Last edited:

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
It's an injector, although I must say it is an odd shape. I note from Bradley that in general the injectors appear to be in the cab on other members of the class, certainly in LSW and SR days, but there is evidence of a mod being done in BR days to mount the injectors outside the ashpan on a few of the locos. I suspect that it was more cost effective that trying to repair an elderly design or perhaps the originals were just resited for convenience. It's a guess but seems reasonable. As far as I can tell all the ones that lasted into the late 50s were so modded.

Regards
Martin