The Aster Lion

adrian

Flying Squad
Very nice - I built one a few years ago but had no real opportunity to run it properly so decided to move it on. At one point whilst building it and considering that I might keep it I was contemplating replacing the burner as it seemed rather weedy affair. Clarry Edwards in 7mm scale had a really neat meths burner design that was more like a toast rack than a couple of pots. He had a J70 tram engine which if I remember correctly with a firebox 3/4" square, with his toast rack burner it would happily run all day long and not be short of steam.

Thirtysecond

Western Thunderer
Very nice - I built one a few years ago but had no real opportunity to run it properly so decided to move it on. At one point whilst building it and considering that I might keep it I was contemplating replacing the burner as it seemed rather weedy affair. Clarry Edwards in 7mm scale had a really neat meths burner design that was more like a toast rack than a couple of pots. He had a J70 tram engine which if I remember correctly with a firebox 3/4" square, with his toast rack burner it would happily run all day long and not be short of steam.

Yes the burner was a weedy affair as you say. We have made a new pair keeping two pots but increasing them in diameter. There are also holes in the smokebox which originally relied on insulation to block them. Not very effective I suspect in creating the vacuum you need to get a good draft. Those have been properly sealed.

The other main issue addressed was a water gauge. The scale on on the backhead is a dummy. You look through that to the working gauge which is inside the firebox.

Both locos have been tested thoroughly on air but we're waiting for some good weather for a track test.