That time of the year again

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A cheeky question, I know, but business colleagues in Calgary had a stock answer to when summer might appear. I never did visit Calgary in summer, but one week in mid winter the temperature reached -30°. I used to walk across downtown in the early morning from hotel to office. If the temperature was below -10°c, icicles would form in my nostrils!

My wife noted that pedestrians mainly passed each other on the sidewalks by the rule of the road, that is to the right of each other. Given the often icy conditions that made a lot of sense.

17 years ago we celebrated my 60th birthday at Banff Springs Hotel, what a magnificent place. Great memories.

Paul

michael mott

Western Thunderer
When I first arrived in Canada in1967 I was living in Calgary and it was late October. The temperature would jump up and down from -25 to+25 in half a day because of the warm chinook winds. It was very strange for this Londoner. When I was shoveling the sidewalk yesterday my glasses iced up. During the winters the relative humidity used to be around 6 percent and for the last couple of decades it has been increasing quite a bit and is now often above 30 percent.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
In Houston the cold fronts were known by various names, Blue Norther, Alberta Clipper, and so on. On one occasion I flew to Calgary from Houston with a scheduled stop in Dallas. These were Fahrenheit days as I remember, so we took off from Houston at 80ºF, landed in Dallas where it was snowing, then on to Calgary where the temperature was 60ºF as a Chinook had followed the cold front from over the Rockies. Not one retiree in Calgary I knew back then still lives in Calgary!

Paul

michael mott

Western Thunderer
My son and his family just moved from Whitehorse to Calgary, they are happier where the days and nights are more evenly spread.

Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Well another spin around the big yellow one I-had a wonderful 75th birthday party on Saturday. We rented our local community hall and provided a feast and wine and beer which included a roast pig courtesy of of one of my friends. My brother came in from Vancouver and my youngest son and family came up from Calgary lots of friends from the last 55 years in Canada. I put posters on the wall one covering each decade of my life with photographs of significant events and people. Of course the last poster was from 2018 and open ended so hopefully lots more people and pictures going forward to fill another poster or two.25258FCE-3A4D-49FC-9D8D-0FEC8E3504C3.jpeg0CE8C605-E71D-471A-8AA0-78D31EAEBE79.jpeg
Family
DC64DDCC-26E2-459C-9448-AB72F735EA7E.jpeg
5220F3AD-E15B-4B0F-AF35-EE529ABFB834.jpeg

Michael

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael,

Congratulations from another Michael, I clocked in with 79 two weeks ago - Diamond wedding anniversary in August!

kind regards

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Canada I guess? I was on a contract to build and run a new film lab near Montreal in 2001-2002. We had a "mild" winter. Temperature got down to -20. :D I have to say that I loved the place. In different circs I'd have stayed.

Brian